“A lovely venue afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Blakes Hotel

Blakes Hotel
Ranked #445 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London
“A lovely venue afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

I have just had afternoon tea with my friends, cousins and mother. The tea was lovely and, at £19 plus service, very good value (we had tea, sandwiches, scones with cream, jam and strawberries). No problems providing glasses of water, topping up our tea pots with hot water or providing vegetarian sandwiches. They also provided a wheat free tea for a member of our party with an intolerance and did so with no fuss (I did give them notice about this). The service was efficient and helpful, the food was very nice and beautifully presented in their 'Chinese room'. It was a lovely occasion and I would recomend Blake's afternoon tea (now when can I go back?).

The only down side was that they lost my original phone booking so make sure you get confirmation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2014
Dear JuJoLondon,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review with the rest of the world. I am pleased you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea with your party. I am glad we were able to fulfill your requirements and everything was provided as ordered, including vegetarian and wheat free options.

We would be delighted to welcome you back in Blakes, I hope you return again soon!

Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

Blakes is a wonderful hotel in a great situation but it is incredibly expensive for what it is but if you've got the money and don't mind paying for expensive places like this then you'll love it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank sarahnLondon
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2015
Dear SarahnLondon,

Thank you for sharing your review with us, I am pleased to hear we were able to exceed your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us.

We always try to remain competitive with other boutique hotels and constantly update our website with new offers and packages. Please feel free to browse them, I believe we offer something special for everyone.

I hope to welcome you back to Blakes again soon!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

I must say, this is my first review on t.a. I always thought that people only wrote reviews for stays at different ends of the satisfaction spectrum (either amazing or nightmarish), and therefore, I never really gave the site much credence; however, after not even one night at the Blakes, I thought it my duty as a responsible traveler to write.
First off, the positives: amazing interior design, fantastic location, friendly staff, lovely garden and beautiful restaurant/bar (some of the most brilliant table tops/decor I've encountered).
The negatives: perhaps best recounted chronologically and anecdotally. My boyfriend and I booked the room 2.5 months prior based on a rave review from my brother, a man of discerning taste and a lot of travel miles logged. We arrived at the Blakes to see three huge dumpsters and three stories of scaffolding in front of the hotel. Once inside, I couldn't even hear the receptionist over the whir and whine of drills and smack and thump of hammers. I had never received a call or email giving a warning that half of the hotel would be a construction site. I mentioned this to the manager who told me that "they had tried to contact guests in case of asthma or allergies, but you must have 'slipped through the cracks.'" He was very pleasant as he offered to show us the room (a nice size and very interestingly designed but with a full bed for two adults, one 6'1, for GBP265 excl. Vat) while he shopped around for other accommodations for us to no avail. After wasting half of our first day in London, we opted to stay one night in the Blakes at a slightly reduced rate with the promise that the scaffolding would be down by 530, and that furniture moving would be the only work being done the next day starting at 830am.
Not only is the scaffolding two stories high at the end of the day, but also, we can hear drills and falling plaster through the wall of our room. Disappointing all around. I feel as if they started warning guests of the construction and received cancellations, which is why we were not notified. A bit hoodwinked if you will.
Now for the room: one can tell that Blakes was really beautiful about 4 years ago, but needs a facelift. Carpet is threadbare; paint is peeling on many surfaces, and the windows do nothing to keep out the roar of jets flying directly overhead or the birds who start their chorus at 430am; the bathtub was less than sano with rust chipping off the drain, etc. Also, the fresh towels were all damp on the rack. As for service, I loved the lit scented candle with our turn down service, but the sheets felt like the hospital or dorm variety, the blankets were pilling, and the pillows were filled with something or in a way that made them hard as rocks. I mustered 3 hours sleep which essentially ruined my second day of vacation.
After my rant, I would say that the Blakes will be gorgeous after the construction is over. Clearly they have an eye for design, beautiful bar and restaurant with a chic aesthetic and beautiful clientele. Michael at the desk could not have been nicer, but the situation was still unfortunate.

• Stayed April 2011
4 Thank Scootsinboots
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2015
Dear Scootsinboots,

Thank you for sharing your review with us following your stay. I am very sorry to hear about your experience, as you mention we were undergoing a refurbishment to make sure Blakes remains to offer a unique boutique experience and deliver the high standard everyone expects.

I apologize for the noise disturbance during your stay, I am pleased to inform you that our rooms have been given a fresh look, I hope you will return to see what we have done.

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

I used to stay regularly at Blakes, + returned there after not having been in London for 10 years. What a disappointment. The service was offhand, the décor is now tired + dated.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank alpha69
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2014
Dear Alpha69,

Thank you for taking time to share your review of your stay. I am disappointed to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion, I can assure you that we have listened and refurbished some roomssince your stay. I hope to tempt you to view some photos in the gallery on our website to see what we have achieved.

I hope you will consider us in future again, we would love to welcome you to Blakes. I will make sure you have a wonderful experience with us this time.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

I love Anouska Hempel's eye for design, so was hopeful that this would be a magical experience. But so much disappointed. The room was tired, cramped and at over £200 outrageously overpriced. The slim desk was badly worn and scratched, as was the bedside table. The only design features were too many pictures on the walls which made the tiny room seem even smaller, and a low-hanging lamp. One redeeming feature was the Frette linen. The bathroom was minute, with many cracked white tiles, and a dirty basin. . Honestly, this in particular was worse than student accommodation. I understand the hotel is being renovated, but even so it's difficult to see how such cramped spaces can be made comfortably habitable. The minibar was disgusting - people had peeled back the foil on tins of nuts and helped themselves, and small Pringles were £5. Not very clean - a cleaner's cupboard was open in the hallway, and I noticed a hoover that looked at least 30 years old! The restaurant is great, my kind of food, but again exorbitant.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank ZArts
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2014
Dear ZArts,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. I would be grateful if you would give us another opportunity to show you how we have completed the refurbishment. We have updated some of our rooms, have changed some amenities and restocked our minibar with new, healthier options since then. I am sure you will not be disappointed and will enjoy the unique design that Blakes offers.

I apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations and hope that you will consider coming to stay in Blakes in near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2010

Blakes is a boutique hotel in the back streets of Chelsea. I had heard a lot about this place so was keen to try it out but was a little disappointed at what you got for your money. The room was across a charming little courtyard and up an outside staircase a bit like a motel. This is definitely a place where style wins over substance - the room was tiny. Decorated in an oriental theme, the red walls only helped make the room look smaller and so dark it was almost impossible to see what yopu were doing. But it was the bathroom that was the biggest disappointment - a total afterthought with stud walls errected in the corner of the room it was no bigger than 170 x 140 - you could hardly move opnce you were in there, not what one would expect from a luxury hotel. There was no soundproofing anywhere in the room which meant you could hear every word that was being spoken in the courtyard and they could probably hear you - hardly a sense of privacy. In short even in the boutique sector there are far better value and thought out hotels in London.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lulublue32
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2014
Dear Lulublue32,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations. All our rooms vary in sizes and their unique style. Our Mews house is rather special to us as it is almost like a little residence house, housing only four beautiful rooms carefully inspired by Anouska Hempel’s far travel. . I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the style of your room.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to vow you with our style and service, I will ensure you are accommodated in our main building. We have recently created various special offers which are a great value, please feel free to have a look on our website. We would be delighted to welcome you back in Blakes and look after you, should you decide to return in future!

Cislago, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

Already I didn't like the Hempel, but couldn't find a nice hotel for a good price this last trip to London, so I ended up booking into Blakes as I knew I'd have meetings in the area. The welcome was ok, the room was not. It was outside the main building, through a courtyard "patio", up an unlit flight of brick stairs into a door which gave onto another stairway (you could easily fall), and up another short flight to the tiny, tiny room billed as a "small studio" with "French double bed". Ok, the bed was a small-ish double. Very high, hard on my knees climbing on and off. Complicated bedding. Flimsy furniture, passe decor: chintzy. Nice large bathroom with brown and white tiles and big fluffy towels but not enough water pressure to actually take a bath. A fuse blew when I tried to charge my mobile phone. The door to the courtyard stayed open, I didn't feel secure so I didn't sleep a wink and left a day earlier than planned. One bright note: the Room Service is brilliant!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank barbaraGeneva
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2014
Dear BarbaraGeneva,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other tripadvisor readers. I am sorry to hear that your expectations were not met on this occasion. I wish you had talked to us immediately after your check in, so that we could perhaps offer you to see a different room. We always want our guests to be comfortable and will try our utmost to ensure that your stay with us is pleasant and exceeds your expectations. I apologize that you did not feel this way this time. I can assure you that you are very safe in our Mews house, it is an internal part of our hotel, controlled by CCTVs, which are monitored 24hrs a day, and there is no access to anyone from outside the hotel.

Our style is indeed very unique, though I appreciate that it might not be to everyone’s liking, our rooms are created and styled to a high standard and we do our very best to present them to every guest to our best abilities.

I hope you give us another try when you work nearby again, I will make sure that you will be accommodated in our main building.