“Coach Driver Opinion (Professional Traveller)”

Hilton London Olympia
Ranked #692 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Not worthy of 4 stars....

The lobby is lovely but as soon as you go up to the rooms - bam! Your back in the 90's.

The hotel is comfortable enough, but it needs refurbished. For what it costs, the brand and the location....Well I liken my room to a £50 travelodge - If that.

On the up side, I got the best sleep I've had in a long, long time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
BarbaraMatheson, General Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thank you for posting your review. I was sorry to read your comments regarding your recent stay and disappointed to learn that our decor did not meet your expectations as we have completed a full refurbishment program in that last 3 years of both our bedrooms and public areas. Great to hear that you found our beds so comfortable.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night on 12th of october i have to say despite all the negative reviews i was really surprised of how good this hotel is everything is perfect staff is polite and very helpfull and the breakfast is excellent the rooms are basic but they have everything you plus some little extras .when i booked the room i done it through an agency so i got it a little cheaper then normal but a few days later i called the hotel and i asked if i can have a better room and the receptionist on duty was very helpfull she upgraded me and my girlfriend, i didn't tell them I am the manager of a Best Western hotel maybe i could get even a better room then that !!!All in all it was a very good stay and when i'm in London next time we will return for sure. Thank You very much Hilton Olympia for an excellent stay.

Room Tip: be nice and polite and ask for an upgrade before you arrive
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments and rating of the hotel. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our service and facilities to be of a high standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The hotel is located in the upscale Kensington area of London, near a very busy intersection. It is not conveniently located to any tube station, however, since the nearest station will be a brisk 15' walk away.
As to the hotel and the rooms itself, there is nothing really negative to say, but nothing really positive either. I still cannot understand why so many hotels will stick to carpets all over the place. Perhaps, one should start looking at the Scandinavian chains, where wooden floors will make it so much more clean and modern. The room was large enough, but the bathroom very tiny. In fact, when I took a shower, the shower head could not be lifted enough, since the ceiling was too low. With 2 in the bathroom, the place was already overcrowded and no, it was not a single person room.
The breakfast area, on the other hand, was quite large and welcoming and nothing bad to say about the quality on the plate.
Staff, in general, were quite friendly.
In London, you can have (much) better if you want to visit the city.

1  Thank Guillermo21Belgium
BarbaraMatheson, General Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and rating of the hotel which certainly helps us to monitor and improve our facilities and service. We have the option of 3 Tube stations each a 15 minute walk from the hotel, however the Bus service from a number 9 or 10 bus will take you from directly outside the hotel to the centre of London.

I was happy to read that you found our team friendly.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

After reading the previous reviews I was really worried about staying at the hilton olympia. However on arrival at 11am (4 hours prior to check in time) the receptionist told me that our room was ready which was excellent. Reception is classy with a costa attached which is really good and a overall good atmosphere from the staff. As my partner and I entered the double standard room we was in shock. We have stayed in other hilton 4* hotel which were amazing so we was expecting something along the same lines. The room was basic, so basic that the premier inn we once stayed in had more character than the hilton. There was no nice view. I then entered the bathroom which to my horror and my worse concern for the hotel was the bath, there was a non slip mat in the bath which was dirty. I was so upset as i expect the bathroom to at least be clean. I went straight to reception and explained to the receptionist how upset I was and how I had never complained about a hotel room before. She was very polite, and straight away helped me. She upgraded us. The room is much nicer, but for anyone looking for luxury I would not recommend this hotel. The staff are really helpful and polite especially the lady who checked us in and ungraded us. The location is quite a walk from Earls court underground, however it is close to the underground called Kensington olympia, but this tube only operates at the weekends. Overall poor hotel and poor location for those who want to be close to central London. The hotel is nice but over priced and far from what I expected for my money(even with the upgrade).

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank mads_1610

Thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor. I was genuinely sorry to read your comments regarding the state of the non slip surface in the bath. We will ensure that this issue is corrected as a matter of urgency. I was happy to read that our team members were able to move you to a more suitable room and that you found them to be helpful. Pease accept my apologies and thank you again for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Listed as a 4 star property, the Hilton Olympia is a bit jaded and just does not feel like a real Hilton and certainly does not have the class to jump into the league of comfortable and classy 4 star hotels around. That said the Olympia is one of the cheaper comfortable hotels in a reasonable location in London. It is a longish walk from the close by tube station though. Apart from a bit of mould in the bathroom, the rooms are satisfactorily clean and reasonably appointed. It was a bit of a mystery to us that the upgraded room which we were ceremoniously given only had "one" bathrobe ... even though it was a double room! This is one of the reasons that this place is not four star, another is the tiny bathroom where even very little cats could not be swung. The mini bar is another where an integrated computerized management system means that the fridge will not accommodate any guest items even a small medical bottle in need of protection, or a small bottle of milk. The computerized fridge is a bit of a joke and then there is the ordinary wifi system which does not work very well in the public areas which puts one off paying the steep fees for in room use. Finally, the real plus of the upgraded room is the bed and the pillows. The bed is sufficiently firm with an excellent topper and the collection of 5 pillows is marvellous. Service was generally quite good and most staff were discretely pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, a perfect score could not be achieved when the check in clerk could not understand her own companies early check in policy and fees and resorted to a heavy handed authoritarian diatribe in a peculiar Eastern European manner. We also thought the early evening call from housekeeping "just to check if the room had been made up" was a bit of a worry.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor
1  Thank Constant T

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor . We appreciate your constructive feedback which certainly allows us to monitor and improve our service and facilities. Please accept my apologies for the heavy handed approach you experienced at reception. I have certainly reviewed your comments with my Front of House Manager to ensure the team are well versed on our early checkin facilities in the future. I was happy to read that overall you had found our team to be friendly and helpful.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Where to start? On a positive note, the hotel looks to have been recently refurbished & the breakfast was really good. The one star rating reflects the breakfast.
Unfortunately everything else was poor to say the least. The room was absolutely tiny & for what it costs it's frankly laughable the amount of room you have. Everything cost a fortune, ludicrous bar prices & even water is £3.95 per small bottle, something which clearly should be complimentary!
The shower didn't work which is an absolute basic requirement and the staff didn't understand anything over the phone due to a poor command of English & had no knowledge whatsoever of the hotel - even simple requests like how much the moves cost were beyond them.
The final straw was being woken up at 7.45am by a housekeeper knocking on my door & expressing surprise that I was still there - I asked what she was doing & her response was 'aren't you checking out today?'. Yes I was - but not at 7.45am thank you very much.
Terrible hotel for the costs, I suggest a Travelodge instead.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank BabyBlueLou

Thank you for your feedback. please accept my sincere apologies that our service did not deliver on this occasion to the level that you have come to expect and more importantly deserve when staying in a Hilton hotel. We do offer several options to buy bottled water in the hotel from our Costa store at £1.35 to our MiniBar, which is competitive in our local hotel market.

I was sorry to read your comments about being woken up at 7.45am by our housekeeping team. I have reviewed our early morning room access with my Head Housekeeper to ensure we do not cause offence to our future guests.

Once again we thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Friendly enough desk staff but no porterage combined with tiny lifts. Floors are multi level which is awkward negotiating luggage up and down stairs around a maze of corrodors. Rooms are very small and tired looking with a fridge that is stocked with overpriced goods. In actual fact the fridge cannot be used as it has no shelves and is electronically set to charge for any item that is moved. Very frustrating if you want to have your own cool drink or need to keep anything chilled! This is nothing remotely like any Hilton I have stayed in: closer to some of the budget hotels I've come across. AC is poor and plenty of traffic noise. Conrad would turn in his grave if he knew about this hotel using his name! Not recommended!

Room Tip: Any other hotels room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter123663

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am genuinely sorry that the hotel did not match your expectations. We do offer a full Concierge / Porter service to and from our rooms and I can only now apologies that you were not offered assistance during your stay.