“Hotel great, location OK”

Hilton London Olympia
Ranked #674 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Wareham, United Kingdom
“Hotel great, location OK”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have stayed at the Hilton Olympia several times as it is often the best priced Hilton in London. Overall it's pretty good; friendly staff, nice exec lounge, reasonable food, gym etc. Rooms onto the main road can be a bit noisy but rooms onto the back are delightfully quiet. The only real issue is transport links into central London. It is right next to a train / tube station but tubes only run to Kensington Olympia on the weekends so late night coming back from the theatre I had to catch a tube to Earls Court and then a 20 min walk. It won't kill me but worth bearing in mind. If planning lots of trips into Central London I would suggest the sister hotel, hilton Kensington, about 1 mile North but next to Shepherds Bush station (central line).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Riaan S, Director of Operations at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Claude K,

It is always great to read that our guests return regularly to the Hotel and that we are able to meet your expectations.

The team is at hand to ensure that our guests get the best possible advice with regards to travelling in and around London as transport in London can be a bit complex at times.

If I may suggest a few travel options for your next visit, the number 9/10/27 busses stop outside the Hotel and these will take you to High Street Kensington and on to the District and Circle Lines. A few stops along is Knightsbridge for the Piccadilly line, this should reduce the 20 minute walk.

If you do enjoy the night life in the West end the N9 bus departs from Trafalgar Square and stops outside the Hotel.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I recently stayed here for three nights as I was working at the Olympia complex. I've stayed here many times before and was pleased to see that the hotel communal areas had been refurbished since my last visit as had the bedroom I had. The refurb was clearly just cosmetic: there were a couple of small things which added up to a disappointing stay:
- room was large but overly noisy from noise outside the window/room
- shower stopped working at 7.30am for a good half hour as no hot water
- lighting in the restaurant at breakfast kept flickering on and off for all three mornings
- BBC channels on the TV just did not work

Overall I was just disapointed that a hotel chain with the Hilton brand wasn't better. I wouldn't have paid more than I did for it, and would have been more vocal at the time had it been a personal stay.

I would stay again, but only because of it's proximity to where I was working.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up in the hotel, and try and ask for an upgrade
1 Thank PhillGray
Dear PhillGray,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with Hilton London Olympia and Sincere apologies that your stay was not an enjoyable one.

The team and I discuses all feedback weekly to ensure that the where possible problems are immediately rectified when they our reported by our guests.

We have experienced some Television reception problems due to the Building works across the road and we are monitoring the Lighting in the restaurant to address the flickering of lights you reported.

We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again and that your next stay will be an enjoyable one

Manchester .UK
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Booked the Hotel for a meet up with my relations, and I was delayed. Had booked the Hotel in both our names(very lucky, and best to do so, in case one is late)I rang the hotel to advise them , this and said it was her birthday, and I would be a couple of hours late, It turns out ,she was early, not only did they give an early check in, but the Hilton Olympia, placed wine , fruit,and a card in our room. They also upgraded the room, and let my her go in executive room. Staff were excellent from check in to check out, breakfast was first class. many thanks craig.ps in fact we enjoyed it that much,and was that pleased re booked for later inJuly, even though we could have got a cheaper deal elsewhere.

Room Tip: call before checking in, the staff will help if they can
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear dadtripper,

The team and I were delighted that you stayed with us during your Birthday Celebrations

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding the team their attitude and helpfulness.

We look forward to your next visit

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

A Hilton hotel should offer an agreeable standard of accommodation - after all, that is the perception of the brand. And whilst this Olympia, London hotel is decently presented and very clean, the standard of the rooms and sleep quality is unfortunately very disappointing.

The online booking system worked well and all my details were as expected at reception on check-in. However none of the staff were aware at all that Hilton were currently running a special room-upgrade offer, and it took a demonstration on my iPad plus a fifteen minute chat with management to convince them to upgrade my standard double to an executive. In truth, the staff were very pleasant and agreeable and it appears to be more a communication error from Hilton head office to the hotel itself.

Nevertheless, it wasn't the ideal start to an overnight stay, and the problem was compounded more by the fact the first room I was given had one of the worst condition beds I have ever seen. The springs were coming virtually through the mattress top and in no way was I going to be able to sleep. Fortunately the reception acted quickly to offer a room change and the second was indeed more comfortable. Bathroom quality was very good, and far superior to the quite drab state of the room itself (on the 7th floor, for reference).

However, and as noted in previous reviews, the new room faced the street and although all the windows were shut tightly, I could hear every single noise from outside. In fact, it was so loud that I might have had the window open, given that I could listen to a conversation from people walking past seven floors below. And don't get me started on the traffic noise!

The room service menu at night time is very limited and I know of other hotels of similar price levels that offer a full 24hour room service menu. Wifi is available in the public lobby area, but is a horrifically expensive £15 per night in the room!!

Breakfast (for £13) was surprisingly good with a pretty decent cold buffet and a good selection of the traditional cooked English breakfast. Service from the staff was efficient and polite.

So to summarise -

- £135 per night including taxes (midweek stay) for a standard double room (free upgrade to an 'executive' room, though in truth nothing 'executive' about it at all)
- Good staff who did their best to rectify the issues I had
- Decent communal facilities
- In-room facilities a good couple of years past their upgrade date.
- But worst of all is the noise, and I simply can't deal with this again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank StevieHumpy
Riaan S, Director of Operations at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear StevieHumpy,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor feedback after your recent stay with us.
Although I am pleased that the team dealt with you Service issue promptly and moved you to a different room and that you found the Breakfast and Service satisfactory I apologise for the noise that you experienced and that this disrupted your sleep.

We are located on Kensington High Street and at times Traffic volume has seen an increase late at night and early morning depending on the day of the week.

Should you choose to stay with us again please do let the reception team know your room preference is at the back of the Hotel.

Best Regards

Director of Operations

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Sitges, Spain
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was allocated an outside room with a street view. I thought this would be a good thing. I was very wrong. The room allocated was apparently a double room. I though this would mean I'd have a bit of space. I was very, very wrong. It's a Hilton which normally means I'll get a good night's sleep. I couldn't be more wrong.
The window didn't close properly, so 24 hour London streamed into the bedroom. The heater/cooler system had a faulty thermostat which, even though turned off, still started up during the night to keep you awake. If that wasn't enough, a rock hard bed added to the discomfort. The first night I got no more than 3 hours sleep, which was a disaster for me given I was presenting the next day. I did ask for the thermostat to be disconnected. This hadn't happened by 6pm the next evening so I called down again. This time a maintenance man came to disconnect the system. He seemed very proficient at it, which would indicate its a common request.
This was the worst hotel stay I've had for more than 5 years, largely because the primary purpose of a hotel is to get some sleep.
Was there anything good? Superb shower pressure. Had a great shower to revive my sleep deprived body.
No, I shall not ever be staying here again.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the inside, not overlooking the street. It might be quieter.
1 Thank Steve B
Dear stevejnb

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with the Hilton London Olympia.
It is regretful to know that as a guest you had several unresolved problems. I apologise for the delay in rectify the problems you reported and sincere hope that your presentation the next day went well for you

Please do let the reception team know your room preference is at the back of the Hotel when you return to London should you stay with us.

Best Regards

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Myself and my wife stayed here for 2 nights in Feb., for an anniversary treat.
Really reccomend the rooms and location for the price(we paid 80 per night as a special weekend rate).
Room and bed were really comfortable and a good size for London, close to public transport.
Staff were great.
If you were to be picky you could say there was some noise in room form street outside.
As mention exceeded expectations and when/if we ever visit London again we will definitely be staying here .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CBates
Dear CBates,

We are always delighted when guests stay with us for a special occasion and trust that you had a great time and that the team made your stay a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Arnhem, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is the hotel of choice when something's going on at Olympia. Nice, courteous reception at front desk; even got a call in my room to check if everything was alright - first time ever this happened to me! As a HHonors member, I got an upgraded room and access to the Executive Lounge, which is small, but not very busy at the times I was there. Couple of restaurants at walking idstance, but tube a bit far away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business