“Adequate”

Hilton London Olympia
Ranked #692 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Shared a triple - this was two singles and a roll-out in a small room. The bed was OK for a child but not an adult. Had to ask for additional cups, glasses, pillows, milk - staff not exactly proactive in this regard. The breakfast included in our tariff was excellent. Location is good with buses the closest public transport. The nearest tube - High St Kensington - is a good 15 mins walk. There is free wifi in the public areas.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Groundling
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your review.
I was disappointed to hear that we seemed to have dropped the ball in regard to the service your received in missing towels, cups, toiletries, etc.. for the third person in your room. I only wish you had mentioned something during your stay as I know my team would have rectified anything immediately. Please be assured that I have already spoken with the Housekeeping and Reception Managers to ensure this does not happen again.
In regard to the sofabed provided in your room as an extra bed, you are correct in that this type of bed is more suitable for a child. We inform all travel agents that we do not have triple rooms as a standard here at the Hilton London Olympia, and unfortunately providing a sofa bed is the only solution we have is an additional room has not been purchased.
I was however very happy to hear that you found our breakfast buffet and location to your satisfaction. Happy travelling!

Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stayed for 8 days here and got a nice comfortable bed and a great free breakfast (though I am a Hilton Gold, so that might not apply to you) every day. However, the hotel made me wish I was richer and could have stayed somewhere else. I'll try to concisely talk about why.

The first and most important drawback about the hotel is the location. While Kensington High Street is a very nice street with some lovely restaurants, the hotel is too far east on the street. You're somewhat close to various tube stations, but High Street Kensington is a 15 minute walk, Earls Court and Barons Court are about 20, West Kensington's maybe a little more, etc. The Olympia stop is very close, but its service is so limited that we barely used it. And even once you get to your underground stop, you're so far west of the city center that getting anywhere takes a while. I feel we probably lost about an hour a day, bare minimum, just from our location.

My second problem was that the internet in my room never worked, necessitating sitting in the hotel restaurant with wireless internet cards which sometimes didn't work. While I appreciated that the hotel provided something of a solution to the non-functioning wired internet, the staff was not particularly nice about it and it wasn't the best situation for me.

So while I paid less than 100 pounds per night for my room, and thus was expecting a bit less than I would have from the Hilton Paddington, I feel that if I return to London I won't be staying here again, even if they've solved their internet problem by now.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James K

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your concise review following your recent stay at the Hilton London Olympia. All comments about our hotel, both good & not so good are invaluable to us.
I am sorry you felt your experience was not as good as you hoped. In response to the location of the hotel, we always do recommend that travellers research the location their hotel in advance of booking dependant upon their reason for visiting London. We are perfectly situation in West London for the Olympia and Earls Courts Convention Centre, as well as Westfield and Kensington High Street for shopping. However, unfortunately i am unablt to amend our locationin respect to the local underground train stations.
I will endeavour to look into the internet issue you highlighted. This system is provided by BTOpenzone and whenever a guest experiences an issues we do put them in touch with a qualified BT technician to assist them where possible. I am pleased to say that the majority of our guests do have a positive internet connection and speed experience.
I was delighted to note that you did seem to enjoy your overall stay at the hotel, and in particular our breakfast buffet and the benefits of being a Gold HHonors loyalty programme member.
Once again, thank you for your input and happy travelling.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

We enjoyed a nice stay in the Hilton Olympia. The room was immaculately decorated and spacious-it has recently been renovated. Great location for nearby attractions

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room as I believe some are still as they were, which when I read existing...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Hilton London Olympia. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us.
I hope that we may get the opportunity to be of service again on a future visit to West London.
Happy travelling!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

the hotel is very convenient if you are working at Olypmia.

The rooms are small and not the best of decor (quite outdated and somewhat tired).

The hotel itself from the outside looks very run-down, but inside they have made an effort to refurb although its not amazing.

an okay stay, but would probably look for somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else if you want a good room
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TRAXUK
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your review of our hotel, and for sharing the way you perceive the Hilton London Olympia. There is not a lot I can offer in way of a response to your opinion, apart from to say that we are very proud of the recent refurbishment of the hotel and everyone here trys their very best to deliver great service at all times.
Happy travelling!

Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have used the Kensington Hilton several times and think it offers great value for the location which can be quite pricey for hotels.
The location is great for seeing the sights of tourist London. It is located in West Kensington on the High Street.

Bus #9 has a stop a very short walk from the hotel and will take you to Trafalgar Square, passing Hyde Park.
Bus#27, at the same stop, will take you to Paddington Station.
www.tfl.gov.uk has the detailed schedules.

The tube is slightly less convenient but still available with a 10 minute walk.

Finally, a new option is the public bicycle rental. Using a credit card, you can rent a bicycle, returning it to any bike kiosk in the city. Inexpensive and located in most common areas, I'll be doing this next time. The bikes are casual comfort bicycles and there is a kiosk located across the street from the hotel.

It is not one of the nicest Hilton hotels and the exterior and lobby aren't impressive however the staff is friendly and the rooms are fine. It is well insulated and I haven't found the road noise to be an issue.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear Reviewer,
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed a comfortable stay, and found the team to be helpful and friendly.
Happy travelling and all the best,

Reviewed May 20, 2012

They wanted £15 per day for wifi, and only gave 1 hour per day free in the bar/reception area. Other than that an ok hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Jerryps80
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.com following your recent visit to the Hilton London Olympia.
I was delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay at the hotel. However, I noted your comment in regard to the bedroom internet charge of £14.99, and wanted to inform you that we provide complimentary internet access with increased bandwidth in the bedrooms to our Hilton HHonors loyalty programme Gold and Diamond members, and also those guests who purchase an upgraded room type. There is complimentary internet access available to all our guests in the hotel's public areas, bar and restaurant. The charge is for increased bandwidth within the bedrooms. Unfortunately, within many hotels and establishments within the UK, internet access is still a chargeable service as the cost of providing this is still prohibitive.
With thanks once again and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton London Olympia in the very near future.
Happy travelling! Richard, Director of Operations.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

As a Hilton, I had been expecting more. Our room was so small that only one of our suitcases fitted in! We were then moved to a slightly larger room where the second suitcase could come into the room. After going up in the lift to the third floor, what did we find but stairs! Not good for lugging a Suitcase with a knee injury. The carpet, decor and overall ambience is of one tired place. The corridors are narrow and dim, the bathroom tiny. The breakfast was quite good, Andy wifi is only availbe free at one end of the downstairs foyer. Staff were reasonably helpful. We found the number 9 bus that went from nearby was very convenient. The buses were every two minutes or thereabouts and you could go right into trafalgar square or just down to Kensington high st to get the tube. The hotel has a car which can be a good alternative to a taxi to the airport. I wouldn't be staying here again...it was depressing and a bit blah.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lee R

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your review. All comments about our hotel, good & not so good are invaluable to us. Without feedback we are weaker in our quest to provide consistent excellent hospitality, care & service.
I am sorry you felt your experience was not as good as you hoped. My team are aware of your comments and will do our best in beating your expectations in the future. I hope we have that pleasure.
The Hilton London Olympia has been in operation since 1967 and is an old building. This unfortunately does lend to an oddly laid-out building structure where many of our rooms are all different sizes and shapes, and we do have the odd corridor which has stairs due to the different levels across the building. I would love to remove these features, however the structure of the building is not something that I can alter.
I was glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet in the Society restaurant.
Once again, thank you for your input and happy travelling.