“Old rooms and 3 mistakes in one bill and housekeeping left the door open!”

Hilton London Olympia
Ranked #643 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Old rooms and 3 mistakes in one bill and housekeeping left the door open!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Rooms are very old, especially the carpet and the bathroom. The bath tub wasn't getting drained properly so you end up stuck with dirty water on your feet and it's kind of disgusting.

The carpet is so old and looks very dirty.

The corridor has stairs that you can't avoid, so you have to pull your suitcase up and down them.

One day I came back and the house keepers had left my room door open, I called the front desk a couple of times before they answered and when I said what happened they said sorry! (very helpful)

What else... They charged me for movies I didn't watch and it took me 2 weeks to get my money back ( because the checkout lady refused to listen to my plea that I didn't even turn the TV on and I was in a hurry so I paid and then complained to Hilton head office.

Breakfast is good and the restaurant is nice, but the restaurant manager keeps telling the staff off quite roughly in front of the guests and it's not a pleasant scene.

And for the hotel manager or whoever that is who makes sure he responds to all the comments here: I have got many apologies and even offered a free upgrade in my next trip, but unless there is no roof in London, I won't stay in your hotel even if it's for free.

You need to renovate your rooms, fix your billing system and hire experienced staff, not trainees that don't even speak English. OR, don't call yourself Hilton, because that name sets an expectation that when you fail to deliver, gets people really upset.

Room Tip: This is not a Hilton!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Dkhosrow
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay with us.
I was both disheartened and perplexed to learn of the difficulties you experienced during your stay with us. We do receive many positive comments about our guests' stays with us, via Tripadvisor and through other channels. However, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
Please be assured that the issues you highlighted in your review will be shared with the team here to remedy where appropriate. All our 405 bedrooms have been refurbished in the past year, along with the bar, restaurant, lobby area, gym and Executive Lounge. As part of this all the carpets were replaced, however I am sorry that they were not what you expected. In regard to your comment about the stairs on the bedroom corridors, unfortunately this is not something that can be remedied as we are not a newly-built property and these are structural within the building which was converted into a hotel in 1967.
I am aware of the issue you had in regard to the movie billing, which can occasionally happen, as your note to our head office was passed to the hotel to respond to which we did here onsite.
Once again, thank you for your constructive review, please accept my apologies and happy travelling.
Richard, Director of Operations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

I spent 2 nights and found it to be acceptable, clean and comfortable.I found the shower to be very good.
Unfortunately it did not match what I would expect from a 4 star hotel. There was a charge for wifi and I even had to pay for a bottle of water. The guest feedback form from 2 weeks before was still in the room.
Overall it was convienient as I could take the number 9 bus straight down to Piccadilly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Hilton London Olympia.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed a comfortable stay,and found the location to be convenient for you.
In regard to your comment about the provision of free internet, we do provide complimentary wireless internet access with increased bandwidth in the bedrooms to our Hilton HHonors loyalty programme Gold and Diamond members, and also those guests who purchase an upgraded room type. There is complimentary internet access available to all our guests in the hotel's public areas, bar, restaurant and Costa coffee shop. Unfortunately, within many hotels and establishments within the UK, internet access is still a chargeable service.
The bottle of water in the room is part of our minibar offering which naturally does carry a cost should you choose to consume it from the room as with any of the other items as part of this service.
I hope that we may get the opportunity to be of service again on a future visit to West London.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

Stayed here for one night whilst at an exhibition at Olympia. Several times i noticed (and experienced) a queue at the reception desk and others moaning about the length of time it was taking to be dealt with. That said, the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Had an evening meal and breakfast at the Hotel and both meals were excellent with bar drinks being normal high hotel prices. Rooms was clean, well appointed and comfortable. It was a little noisey at times outside (3rd floor) but not enough to cause problems. It is a few minutes walk to the halls and tube. At weekdays there is no direct tube service so you have to get an overground train from Kensington Olympia which did not prove to be a major problem. Overall a good hotel in a very good location for the exhibition centre.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MKEL09
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.com following your recent visit to the Hilton London Olympia.
I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and in particular our Larder restaurant, the room you stayed in and the location. Please be assured that I have passed your very kind comments to all staff concerned.
In regard to your comment about a queue at Reception, please allow me to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you. It is difficult when events are on at the exhibition centre as many of the guests and attendees do move together throughout the hotel into the restaurant and to reception, and we do place more team members than usual on duty, however it is difficult to avoid the queues during the peak times.
With thanks once again and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.
Happy travelling!
Richard, Director of Operations.
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

I spent two nights here and was satisfied with the hotel. The room itself was quite spacious by London standards, though the bathroom was small, but completely adequate. Even though I had a room facing over the main road, I didn't find noise to be a problem, and you could open the windows (ever so slightly) to at least let in some fresh air. It is about a 15 minute walk to the tube, but there is a bus right outside. Staff were pleasant and helpful and check-in/out was easy. Overall this was a comfortable place to spend a few nights - as another reviewer said, it "does the job".

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jay_BKK
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.com following your earlier stay with us.
I was delighted to learn that you had a satisfactory stay with us, found the team to be helppful and friendly, and that the room was to your liking.
Our paramount aim is guest satisfaction and it is always so rewarding when this is achieved. I have passed on your review within the hotel so that my colleagues can be congratulated for all of their hard work.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back with us soon.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have to say after reading a few reviews about this hotel on trip advisor; I was concerned about what lay in store when I visited this hotel. What I experienced however could not be any further from some of the negative reviews found on here.

Of course, I am aware that my experience could be the exception but my experience at this hotel is nothing but positive. I booked this hotel as I was seeing a gig at the 02 Empire at Shepherds Bush, which was only a 20min walk away. The room I stayed in appeared to be newly refurbished/furnished and was clean and very smart. Bathroom was very nice, however if your 6ft plus like me the ceiling is a little low but that’s nothing major. Only thing to be aware of is the 'complimentary' drinks and snacks in the room, which are on a pressure sensitive tray and if you were to remove them you will get charged on your bill. My advice, if you don’t intend to use it, don't touch it!

Location wise there are overground connections (via Kensington Olympia) to Clapham junction for national railway and to shepherds bush for the underground.
I would gladly book this hotel again!

Room Tip: Go for higher rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bradley K
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you ever so much for a great review!
It is our aim to ensure we deliver great service consistently. Reviews such as your help to reward the team as they are recognised for their hardwork and dedication. Thank you for your time in feeding back. I also hope that you won't mind me syaing that your stay certainly was not the exception and the majority of our guests leave extremely satisfied, so I therefore agree on your choice for a title of this review (I am, of course, a little bit bias).
ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

Quiet comfortable. Room was a bit warm. Friendly staff. Concierge very helpful. Nice cosy bar. Not that convenient for tube. That not really a problem as the number 9 or 10 bus just outside the door of hotel. 9 goes to trafalgar sq and10 goes to oxford st and both get you to kensington high st tube station in 2 minutes.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bbowsie
Dear Reviewer,
I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and in particular the convenient bus routes outside the hotel. The double decker buses are definitely the best way to see London!
With thanks once again and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

I didn't get off to good start here. Having walked for over 10 minutes from the nearest tube station (with a heavy bag in tow) I was glad to get to my room - or what I thought was my room!

I'd been checked in by a very courtious receptionist however, I then found myself trying to get in to someone else's room because the wrong room number had been noted on my room key! - so following a long trip back down to reception (with the heavy bag in tow!) they managed to get me sorted (& in fairness, couldn't have apologised enough).

That experience aside, this a pretty decent hotel. The staff are friendly, the rooms spotless and the food good.

** Be warned though -
1) Despite being on Kensington High Street, it's a good 10 to 15 minute walk to all of the main shops (such as Marks & Spencer) and the Tube Station there.

2) I stayed at the front of the hotel over-looking Kensington High Street and even though I stopped on the upper floors, there seemed to be a constent stream of Police cars firing past in the small hours with their sirens blazing!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room at the back of the hotel NOT overlooking Kensington High Street!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Simon F
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your review. Your comments, both the great and not so great have been shared with all the team here for appropriate action. Whilst your overall stay with us sounded satisfactory, I have no excuses for the error upon check-in with the room number mix-up. We continually strive to ensure that we consistently deliver excellent hospitality, care & service. I am sorry this did not seem the case during your visit, especially on arrival.
In regard to the location from the public transport you experienced, it is true that Kensington High Street station approximately 10 minutes walk from the hotel, however we do not advertise that we are close to the station and the bus routes for the 9, 10, 27 and 28 from the station all stop directly outside the hotel.
I do hope your experience does not prevent you from visiting us in the near future.
Happy travellling! Richard, Director of Operations.