“The millennnium gloucester is good”

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #550 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 25, 2006

I stayed seven nights and enjoyed the accomadations the area the local eating places and the staff.However, some of the front desk staff need to be careful with the tone of their voice in responding to guests questions. On two accosions the attitude of two front desk staff was poor in addressing an elderly person and a guest of seven nights,namely me. Other staff people were ffine. I would send friends to the hotlel without question. The only disappointment was breakfast did not come with the room. It was my first experience without breakfast at a London hotel since 1972. Thank God, for the "little hole in the wall breakfast eatery" across the street.

1  Thank Zakia
Write a ReviewReviews (4,859)

Reviewed November 25, 2006

Just returned from a weekend at this hotel and could not fault any part of it.
We booked a weekend saver on the hotel website, a standard on the 4th floor, a newly renovated room, £110 a night, including a cooked breakfast.
Our room was warm when we wanted it to be and had an opening window for some air, unusual at some London hotels.
Both the room and bathroom were of a 4 star standard, lovely linen, towels and bathroom accessories. Iron, ironing board, safe and fridge/mini bar. Didn't use the mini bar but handy for the milk.
Hotel bar very expensive, but as others have said the hotel is so handy for everthing you need, tube 100 yds, tesco express the same.
Some very good eateries just around the corner, recommend Brannigans, good food and not ripped off by the price.
Would we stay again? You bet!!

5  Thank bifta
Reviewed November 24, 2006

We have just returned from a very good 2 night stay at the Millenium Gloucester. I've read some of the reviews and was a little apprehensive, no need, we were on the 5th Floor in a King Club Room with access to a lovely Club Lounge with excellent service in there too. The room was spotless and had all the amenities you could expect of a 4 star London Hotel in the middle of Kensington. Just across the road from Gloucester Road Underground and in 10 mins you can be in Sloane Square or 15 mins to Oxford Street. Beautiful lobby area, lively bar in the evening and I would certainly stay there again albeit that their parking is pricey, but hey this is London!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank Rapunzal2
Reviewed November 15, 2006

The best feature of this hotel is the location. Right across the street from the Gloucester Rd. tube station and near several restaurants, grocery store and drug store.
The hotel itself is nice, but we did have a few problems with unhelpful staff. We got there at around 8am after an overnight flight from the US. We were told our room would be ready at noon (which we expected) so we went out for a few hours and arrived back around 12:30pm. Our room was not ready. After waiting in the lobby for another 30 minutes or so, we were given a room. Well, when we walked in, it was *freezing.* We tried turning on the heat - nothing. We tried the lights - nothing. Thinking something was wrong with the electricity in the room, we called the operator. The operator said she would send maintenence. After sitting there shivering for 1/2 an hour we decided to just request a new room. Tried calling the front desk twice and got no answer both times, so we got our bags together and went back to the lobby. We explained the situation to the woman at the desk, who only then informed us that we had to put our keycard into a box by the door in order to turn on the electricity & heat! I don't know if this is now standard practice in UK hotels, but at no hotel I've ever stayed in in the US, UK, or elsewhere have I ever had to use my keycard to turn on the electricity & heat. My partner had even stayed at this hotel before and did not remember having to do this. It would be nice of the desk staff to inform guests of this feature when checking them in. Then the woman proceeds to tell us that if there is a problem we can just call, and do not need to come to the lobby with our bags. We told her that we tried calling twice and no one answered, to which she said, "Oh, well we are right here," like we were stupid and they couldn't possibly have neglected to answer the phone. She was rather rude about it and quite unpleasant.
We went back to the room and found the (completely unmarked) box, inserted our keycard, and got the lights and heat turned on. It never did get very warm in the room though, even though we left the heat on constantly for the 3 days we were there. I understand the hotel needing to conserve energy, but it is very unpleasant as a guest to walk into a freezing cold hotel room and then be unable to get it warm because there is only one small vent near the ceiling and the heat has been off for who knows how long, in November. There was also no heat vent in the bathroom, so it remained pretty chilly in there. We also discovered, as we went to take a nap, that there was no top sheet or blanket on the bed, just a duvet. At this point we were so tired though that we just dealt with it.
I booked this hotel as part of a travel package, but if I had a choice I would probably not stay here again. I just don't think the rooms or the service lived up to the 4-star rating.

1  Thank avab80
Reviewed November 15, 2006

Stayed in this hotel for a conference during February 2006. Rooms were very clean, spacious and well decorated. The bathroom was well equipped and spotless. My in-room safe was not working properly, but when I reported this to reception by phone they sent someone up immediately and the problem was quickly resolved. All good so far!!!

I had an evening meal of poached duck in the adjoining restaurant and was very ill the next day. Whas it the duck? Very likely I think!

I awoke at 7:00am the next day to the sound of workmen in the next room. They were hammering and drilling like there was no tomorrow. They were also talking loudly and hanging about in the corridor outside. The drill user was even tapping out little tunes with it! It was like a ‘Carry On’ movie.

Breakfast was a buffet and was fine. My illness hadn’t kicked in quite yet! The conference facilities are very good, with the exception of the gloomy hall in the bowels of the hotel that is used for large events.

I checked out at noon and told the receptionist that my stay had been marred by the antics in the room next door. She was really incompetent and didn’t even say sorry. She said that there was nothing she could do about it.

Would I stay there again? You must be kidding!

Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank markgbyrne
Reviewed November 11, 2006

My husband and I booked this hotel through Priceline for £50! Once finding out that we were to stay at the Millenium Gloucester and finding the reviews on this website, we were rather nervous about our stay!

The lobby/reception area is truly gigantic and well maintained. The staff were efficient and polite and didn't look down their noses at us because we'd evidently booked through Priceline (this did happen once before at another hotel in London!).

Our room wasn't one of the newly renovated rooms, but it was clean. It took us a while to find out how the individual lamps worked as the "main" light in the entrance to the room only lit up that bit. Luckily, we weren't electocuted as one person suggested we might be!

The room was close to the lift area, but we heard very little noise/movement. The road outside also seemed to be quite quiet on the Sunday morning.

The bathroom is definitely very very tired, but again, it was clean with decent sized and a decent amount of towels. Make sure you use the slip-mat that is provided - you need it!

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel as it was £17.50 per person! Instead, there is a Coffee Republic at the top of the street. There are also a few more cafes closer to the Gloucester Road tube station which also seemed to be serving breakfast.

All in all, we had a pleasant stay, but I feel sorry for anyone who pays the full price for the room that we had. The room that we stayed in was one of a tired 3 star standard. However, the position of the hotel was fantastic being in a quiet area, very close to a tube station.

1  Thank The Teacher7
Reviewed October 29, 2006

I spent 3 nights at the Millennium Gloucester during my World Cup stopover. It was difficult to find any good deals on any hotel in London at the time because of the peak summer season and wimbledon etc. so I picked this hotel in the end. Since I was aware of the nasty old rooms from many reviews here, I especially requested to pay extra for the new rooms. Upon my late check in, the new rooms were all taken so I complained and they upgraded me to the Club Floor. The room was in great condition, clean and spacious with a big desk and I was lucky to get that free upgrade for all 3 nights. I slept well throughout and did not have any problem with my room apart from the bathroom which was a little old, but nonetheless very clean.

The staff are generally quite helpful but I encountered some which were rude. I understand that they must be stressed or exhausted as beginning of July was their high season, but when you are taking up a job in a service industry, you have no excuse not to be friendly and hospitable to your guests! One female receptionist looked constantly annoyed with my questions and that really put me off as I didnt even ask anything difficult.

Location was excellent. Gloucester road has everything you need and if you need to shop or go sightseeing, there is a tube station 30 metres away from the hotel to Westminster area as well as a bus no. 74 to Harrods and Oxford street.

My recommendation is, only stay here if you can manage to book yourself in a newer room or on the club floor. Otherwise, it's not worth your money.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business