“Regular rooms NOT 3-4 star quality”

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #549 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 5, 2005

As I knew beforehand from the reviews here, there is a major difference between the club-level and regular rooms. The regular rooms are NOT anything like 3-4 star quality. They seriously need to be refurbished: the carpets are disgusting, there are cigarette burns in the duvets, etc. The lobby is posh and there are always fancy cars waiting outside, but you will definitely feel like you're in an ultra cheap hotel once you get to your floor.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank DiMe2
Write a ReviewReviews (4,866)

Reviewed June 5, 2005

There is a huge difference between the standard and club rooms. The former have scratchy blankets and dodgy electrics – all the lights went out when I plugged my laptop in. The club rooms are pleaseant but the sign of a good hotel is one that puts you in a readily accessible room when you check in late. Getting a room at the end of two very long corridors at 11pm did not endear this hotel to me.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank keke22
Reviewed May 24, 2005

We stayed here for several days and the hotel is about what you would expect except that the carpets are truly awful and I don't just mean the hallways but the actual rooms. We were genuinely afriad to walk on them for fear of a dread disease. The hote is a little rundown in places like the hallways where the wallpaper is torn and worn but really it is not a bad place if you get a good deal. I paid about $135 USD per night but had to pay about 119 British Pounds when I extended our stay by one day. There is a great little place next to the Gloucester Road tube station called Liaisons that serves great sandwichs and coffee and they are very friendly.

3  Thank Martin S
Reviewed May 22, 2005

First the good news - the hotel has a great location, literally steps from the Gloucester Road subway station. Heathrow is a subway ride away on the Piccadilly line. I never took a taxi the entire time I was in London. Secondly, if you get a Millenium Club Level room, it is a decent size (i.e. size of typical American hotel room). The bad news - the customer service is bad. The people behind the front desk - who seemed very young - were pretty useless. Also, beware - the 'extras' will kill you. The internet access in the room was either 8gbps an hour or 20 for the day (something like $15 an hour or $40 US for the whole day - which is outrageous). Any dialing of an 800 number from the room - including using the nice cheap international calling cards you can buy - will cost about $5 a connection. If they could charge you to breathe, I think they would. Also, mysterious charges appeared on the bill. I was at the desk complaining about a mini-bar charge on my bill - which was clearly not correct since I didn't even KNOW there was a minibar in the room. Right behind me was a woman erroneously charged for champagne from her mini-bar. I'd have to debate going back because of these things . . .

2  Thank AFusco
Reviewed May 19, 2005

I paid for a "Club" room which included breakfast, the room was okay, roomy but dated, bed was okay, bathroom decent. I never went for the free breakfast. I choose this hotel because of location in South Kensington. A great location, all within a few steps from hotel are an ATM (HSBC), Grocery Store (Waitrose), drug store (Boots), Starbucks and Burger King. Not too far from Harrods and Chelsea (5-8 pounds taxi ride). A favorite pub of mine, the Stanhope is across the street, supposedly Jack the Ripper drank here! A great Indian restaurant in the Montana Hotel which is close by which I highly recommend, 3rd time eating there in 4 years, good. The pasta restaurant, forgot name, next to Waitrose and Boots is good too. The Millennium Gloucester is decent, I would have thought my room would be nicer since "Club" floor, it was okay, so don't expect much, make sure to get a good rate (this hotel offers good rates that vary all the time on Expedia), staff and concierge were good, this is a hotel to choose for location and value, not perks.

4  Thank Steve H
A TripAdvisor Member
Connecticut
Reviewed May 19, 2005

We just returned from our 6 night London vacation (May 13-18 2005).

The staff of the Millennium Gloucester Hotel was always friendly and accommodating. We arrived very early in the morning so I do not fault the hotel for not having our room available. Their stated check in time is 2pm. We were allowed to check in and had the concierge take our luggage, so we were free to explore London right from the start.

The public areas of this hotel are beautiful. It really lacked nothing. My personal gripe was that it was extremely smoky due to the fact that it's legal for people to smoke in public areas and restaurants in the UK... and the English take full advantage of that. Coming from the USA, I was surprised how much the British smoked. Be forewarned that it's the exception to find a restaurant with a separate smoking area. I found Pubs to be almost unbearably smokey. But I degress, aside from the lobby of the Millennium Gloucester Hotel being extremely smokey at different times of the day, it was beautiful, and we got the non-smoking room we had requested.

The room was larger than I had expected, it was on par with any good hotel room in the US. We had a "standard" room with one double bed. Since I had read some reviews that claimed rooms had everything from bugs to toilets which did not flush, I didn't know what to expect. Thankfully, our room had neither affliction. The only surprise was that the room's carpet was very badly stained, and should have been replaced a long time ago. It was really out of place, given how nice the rest of the room was.

The room did not have an alarm clock, so be sure to pack a travel clock. You could program the TV to wake you up. I guess I'm old fashioned.

The bathroom was roomy and well lit, it was finished in white ceramic tile and rich brown marble. The heated towel bar was a nice treat. The bath towels were actually "bath sheets" which was also very nice. The bathtub might have been a challenge for an elderly person or a person with limited mobility because the sides were at least 2 feet tall. There were large handles attached to the wall to help get in and out of the tub. The shower had very good water pressure.

Both shampoo and bath lotion were provided, something that's becoming a rarity in some hotels in the USA. We thought it was a little funny that there was a phone in the bathroom, but the hairdryer was firmly attached inside a desk draw which was in the main part of the room, and not simply wall mounted in the bathroom.

There wasn't any ventilation or window in the bathroom, and I noticed there was some paint peeling on the ceiling.

As far as location goes, the Millennium Gloucester Hotel can't be beat. It's right across from the Gloucester Road tube station in a very nice section of town. The trains run often, making all of London AND Heathrow Airport easily accessible. There are also city busses running on Gloucester Road.

There are many restaurants, coffee shops and convenience stores, as well as two grocery stores (which carry a nice selection of beer, wine and spirits) in walking distance from the hotel.

The hotel room had a stocked courtesy refrigerator which must have a sensor built in. If you take out an item you'll be automatically charged. I've read horror stories about being charged in error for food. I am glad to report that we bought food at the grocery store and kept it in the room's fidge and did not get charged.

Check out was a breeze, no glitches whatsoever. If it wasn't for the badly stained carpet, I would have rated this hotel as "Excellent".

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 18, 2005

My husband and I booked our stay at the Millennium Gloucester through Priceline at $100 per night. We were happy with this booking and looked forward to staying at the hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel we found a courteous bellman who took our luggage and gave us a receipt which was to be given to the front desk when we checked in. The hotel lobby was attractively furnished, though very smokey. At the desk we encountered staff that was likewise courteous and professional. They did not have our room ready when we first arrived at the hotel (we arrived at about 1:30 in the afternoon), but a room was ready for us by 3:00pm (normal check-in time).

The room was on the first floor of the hotel and was somewhat small, but well-equipped and attractively decorated. Our bed was a king-size bed, which was a pleasant surprise, and our bathroom boasted a very large bathtub/shower. Less pleasant were the orange stains on the carpet and the warping of the wallpaper due to water damage. These issues were easily overlooked, however, as I did not expect the hotel to give a Priceline customer one of its better rooms. However, we could not overlook the fact that NONE of the lamps in the room were working. I made a quick call to housekeeping who did send someone by, though this meant that my husband and I could not take our desperately needed showers as the room was full of people trying to figure out the lamp problem and, for some strange reason, replacing items in our (very expensive) minibar.

After the initial hubub (it turned out that water leaking from a second floor toilet was shorting out the wiring in our room), we were finally able to shower, dress, and leave the room to explore our neighborhood. We found that the hotel was in an EXCELLENT location for tourists: We were quite literally across the street from the Gloucester Road tube stop, there were two grocery stores right next to and across the street from the tube stop. There was also a bank, a travel supply store, and a wide variety of restaurants and pubs within a one-block radius of the hotel. The hotel also boasted several restaurants, a bar, a business center, and other facilities.

We were very satisfied with our choice of lodging until a few days after our arrival. We were out in Hampstead when I went to an ATM to withdraw some cash. My request was rejected and a bit of investigation showed that there were no funds available in my account! We immediately made our way back to the hotel and after several phone calls I realized that the hotel had frozen *twice* the amount of money that they were supposed on my card when I checked in!

As you may know, most hotels request a credit/debit card when you check into the hotel in order to cover any incidental charges (i.e. phone, restaurant, etc). The hotel will then "freeze" funds on your account so that the hotel can be assured of collecting these funds when you check out. Knowing this, I had contacted the hotel well before our arrival to find out how much they would be freezing. I was told that they would freeze 50 pounds per night. Given the current exchange rate, this would come in at a little less than $700 for the trip, which was no problem for us. However, the hotel clerk, for some reason, froze 100 pounds per night, which, as you can imagine, took out a serious chunk of our budget!

When I complained to the hotel staff, they at first couldn't see what the problem was. Finally they agreed to reverse the errant charges, but told me that it would take 5 business days for the charges to go through. I explained that this was unacceptable as we were only in town for a week. I communicated with my bank, and my bank was willing to release the hold if the hotel would fax my bank with instructions to do so. After a bit of wrangling, the hotel did fax my bank. However, the hotel never apologized for their serious error, nor did they ever offer any sort of compensation or an offer of assistance if the funds were not going to be released quickly.

I have to concur with many of the reviewers here when I note that the Millenium Gloucester has many things to recommend it as a place to stay, but that its staff and management are completely unconcerned with their customers should a problem arise.

We will not be staying at this hotel again.

8  Thank sophiep93