Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #538 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 18, 2005

My husband and I booked our stay at the Millennium Gloucester through Priceline at $100 per night. We were happy with this booking and looked forward to staying at the hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel we found a courteous bellman who took our luggage and gave us a receipt which was to be given to the front desk when we checked in. The hotel lobby was attractively furnished, though very smokey. At the desk we encountered staff that was likewise courteous and professional. They did not have our room ready when we first arrived at the hotel (we arrived at about 1:30 in the afternoon), but a room was ready for us by 3:00pm (normal check-in time).

The room was on the first floor of the hotel and was somewhat small, but well-equipped and attractively decorated. Our bed was a king-size bed, which was a pleasant surprise, and our bathroom boasted a very large bathtub/shower. Less pleasant were the orange stains on the carpet and the warping of the wallpaper due to water damage. These issues were easily overlooked, however, as I did not expect the hotel to give a Priceline customer one of its better rooms. However, we could not overlook the fact that NONE of the lamps in the room were working. I made a quick call to housekeeping who did send someone by, though this meant that my husband and I could not take our desperately needed showers as the room was full of people trying to figure out the lamp problem and, for some strange reason, replacing items in our (very expensive) minibar.

After the initial hubub (it turned out that water leaking from a second floor toilet was shorting out the wiring in our room), we were finally able to shower, dress, and leave the room to explore our neighborhood. We found that the hotel was in an EXCELLENT location for tourists: We were quite literally across the street from the Gloucester Road tube stop, there were two grocery stores right next to and across the street from the tube stop. There was also a bank, a travel supply store, and a wide variety of restaurants and pubs within a one-block radius of the hotel. The hotel also boasted several restaurants, a bar, a business center, and other facilities.

We were very satisfied with our choice of lodging until a few days after our arrival. We were out in Hampstead when I went to an ATM to withdraw some cash. My request was rejected and a bit of investigation showed that there were no funds available in my account! We immediately made our way back to the hotel and after several phone calls I realized that the hotel had frozen *twice* the amount of money that they were supposed on my card when I checked in!

As you may know, most hotels request a credit/debit card when you check into the hotel in order to cover any incidental charges (i.e. phone, restaurant, etc). The hotel will then "freeze" funds on your account so that the hotel can be assured of collecting these funds when you check out. Knowing this, I had contacted the hotel well before our arrival to find out how much they would be freezing. I was told that they would freeze 50 pounds per night. Given the current exchange rate, this would come in at a little less than $700 for the trip, which was no problem for us. However, the hotel clerk, for some reason, froze 100 pounds per night, which, as you can imagine, took out a serious chunk of our budget!

When I complained to the hotel staff, they at first couldn't see what the problem was. Finally they agreed to reverse the errant charges, but told me that it would take 5 business days for the charges to go through. I explained that this was unacceptable as we were only in town for a week. I communicated with my bank, and my bank was willing to release the hold if the hotel would fax my bank with instructions to do so. After a bit of wrangling, the hotel did fax my bank. However, the hotel never apologized for their serious error, nor did they ever offer any sort of compensation or an offer of assistance if the funds were not going to be released quickly.

I have to concur with many of the reviewers here when I note that the Millenium Gloucester has many things to recommend it as a place to stay, but that its staff and management are completely unconcerned with their customers should a problem arise.

We will not be staying at this hotel again.

8  Thank sophiep93

Reviewed May 18, 2005

I've been to London many times and this is by far the worst hotel i've stayed at. The Front Desk staff leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps some training in customer service would do them some good!!! Also pls keep in mind that the check-in is at 1pm so make sure you time your flights accordingly b/c you'll have a difficult time checking in early. One positive is that the hotel is literally hotel right next to the Tube. Hope this helps!

3  Thank travelphreak
Reviewed May 17, 2005

The hotel is fine if you get a decent rate. Like mentioned by other reviewers, convenient location next to three tube lines.
However, if you are on a budget you have to be extremely careful with hidden charges. When I checked out I was charged 22.50 UK pounds for one 6 minute local phone call- this is equivalent to $43 US dollars!!! Apparently this was because although it was local, it was to a cell phone. I had looked for the rates in the room and couldn't fined them, so I didn't make any long distance calls, but I figured a short local call would be OK.
I complained, and was given a courtesy discount, so it came to $33. I should note that the exact same call from a Hilton was 4.23 UK pounds (˜$8.40).
I also complained about this upon my return by email, and the general manager was kind enough to reply, but he just wrote that that they have the "privilege to offer our valuable guests more flexibility and a best available rate for the room night, rather than discounted other facilities, such as telephone or laundry charges." I don't consider 4 pounds for a local phone call (at the Hilton) a "discount", but I do consider 23 pounds for the same call a rip-off.
As a sidenote, the breakfast is extremely expensive (about 18 pounds per person), and there is a great little bakery around the corner, so its not worth it.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank etce
A TripAdvisor Member
Grenada, West Indies
Reviewed May 16, 2005

This hotel looks nice. It's modern and clean. The location is very good.
Our main disappointment was that when we called to make a special room request (our second time), the person on the phone said that the hotel does not allow for more than 2 people per room. This ended up being incorrect information and a complete lie (because the hotel does in fact have rooms with 3 beds and so forth), but caused us a GREAT deal of stress. We were halfway around the world and did not know what to do.
Well, fortunately, my husband called and spoke to the General Manager of the hotel. He said that we are in fact allowed to stay (2 adults, 2 young children). We were relieved.
When we arrived to the hotel, they could not give us a room with two separate beds, but promised us that we would get such a room (a family room) the very next day. Well, the very next day, that did not happen. We were frustrated. It was on the third night of our stay, that we were finally able to sleep comfortably with a little more space. But we were still happy. The hotel was good, clean, and had a nice, convenient location. At least they didn't charge us extra for two separate beds, unlike the Hilton Metropole. That was quite tacky and greedy on their part.
We really hated the smoky lobby area. But we hate that about Europe overall. Have they never heard of second-hand smoke?

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2005

For budget travellers, this is a really good deal for the money for the location. The Gloucester tube is only a half block away.

Americans should keep in mind that hotels are run differently in Europe and the UK. They spend all their money on the lobby. Therefore the lobby looks like a typical American 4 star, but the rooms are more like 2 stars. Nothing terrible, just nothing fancy and plenty of wear and tear on the carpets and furnishings. Even so, you certainly can't beat the location for the price!!!! You will find yourself grateful that you are so close to a tube, particularly when you have luggage in tow!!!!

I also found the staff to be courteous and accomodating as well.

• Stayed: September 2004
4  Thank sfchris
A TripAdvisor Member
Frankfurt am Main Germany
Reviewed May 12, 2005

Fantastic Service, Warm welcome. You should try the Club Service for £116.- Staff very professionnal, and more particularly the receptionists.
Room very comfortable , High Speed Internet much appreciated.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2005

My partner and I were fortunate to land the MG on a Priceline bid of $80/night for a week. A real steal! I notified them in advance that we would be checking in a few hours early, and they not only had our room ready, but had upgraded us (for free!) to a club-level room. I encourage you to politely ask for an upgrade when you check-in! It can’t hurt, and it seems like others have been successful in this, too. In addition to the spacious rooms and separate elevators, club-level guests have access to a quiet lounge with newspapers, cappuccino, tea selection, and fruit throughout the day, as well as bubbly at around 6pm. Breakfast in there was only for club members, which we were not. Still, we found it a perfect spot to relax before heading out for the evening.

The room was lovely, except for a considerable mold problem in the bathroom which I discovered after showering on arrival. Blech! After housekeeping took a look, they were quick to switch us to another club-level room, moving our luggage for us while we were out seeing the city. We were very happy with the service, especially the eager-to-help concierge on duty in the afternoons and evenings. My guess is those who criticized the service at this hotel were, themselves, probably less than gracious.

Carpeting and furniture just a wee bit shabby (but at $80/night, who’s got a right to complain?!), but the bed was wonderfully comfortable, with crisp linens. There was a bidet in the first bathroom, if you get into that part of European travel. And, although they’re rarely found in British hotels, our bathroom had washcloths. Woo hoo!

If you’re a budget traveler like me, I can recommend the following in the neighborhood: almond croissants at Tesco (89p!), espresso and email at Coffee Republic, late night take-away from PizzaOrganic, and dinner and beer at the Drayton Arms pub or La Brasserie (both on Old Brompton).

Finally, it can be a little confusing to find the hotel the first time when getting off the Tube. Exit the Gloucester Road Station; face right and cross the street toward the Millennium Bailey’s Hotel; turn right and walk about a 1/2 block to the hotel entrance, which looks like a carport entrance, but does have a small sign.

• Stayed: April 2005