“Excellent location to visit London”

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #518 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent location to visit London”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Positive: We stayed at the Millinnium Gloucester Kensington for 9 nights with our 3 teenagers. The location of this hotel is perfect, just next to the London tube, bus routes (including hop on hop off circuits), restaurants, pubs and grocery stores.Since the breakfast buffet was quite expensive (22 pounds per person,we had lots of options around the hotel). Our overall rating is very good.
Negative: We had asked twice by email before arrival to have 2 connecting rooms, which we didn't get. They assigned us in two different rooms and had to split our family in two, saying they can never guaranty connecting rooms. One of the rooms they gave us smelled like cigarette, so we asked to change and they gave us another room quickly.
The air conditioning in one of the rooms wasn't working. We had to open the windows to get air, but our room was just above a terrace where a couple of loud parties were held during our stay. Noise didn't bother us, but it was loud enough to bother some.
Housekeeping had also trouble keeping track of towel count when cleaning our bathroom. We were 3 in one room and sometimes, even if they had removed 3 sets of towels, they only left two (but were quick to bring us an extra set when we called) or other times they didn't leave any face cloths or toilet paper.
One of the rooms had no view.
The rooms could use some freshening up, but were quite comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Nathalie9757

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

We welcome all comments, including the constructively critical, which we will use to improve our guest experience.

Chris van Dam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I prepaid the hotel through Booking.com. The location is excellent near the Gloucester and South Kensington Tube. When I arrive the room was hot and stuffy as the AC didn't work. They sent up people twice to fix it and it still didn't work properly. When I complained to the manager they upgraded me to a club room. The room was much nicer and the air worked,though quite noisy. Hotel needs a facelift. Bathroom faucet leaked and although I reported it, never fixed. Internet is 10 pounds for 24 hours and didn't work half the time or is very slow when it does. They told me they wouldn't charge me because I had so much trouble, but when I checked out the women said she couldn't do anything as it was prepaid. She also didn't speak very good English and I am not sure she understood what I was talking about.
Pros: Excellent location and attentive staff for the most part. Very clean. Quiet. Good breakfast buffet.
Cons: Internet very slow, bathrooms small, crowded hotel. Halls hot and stuffy. AC noisy in room.

Room Tip: Club Rooms are nicer.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear steve b,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. We welcome all comments, including the constructively critical, and will address the issues you have raised.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2014

The Millennium Gloucester Hotel is only 20 minutes away from my West London (Ealing) office and, to me, its location is a strategic point to reach, within minutes, High Street Kensington, Chelsea, The Museums, Knightsbridge and even central London.
It is an ideal location and offers elegant surroundings to meet friends and business acquaintances for breakfast. Large tables and comfortable chairs allow me to relax with my guests and conduct even private and important business meetings.
No matter what time of the morning I turn up for breakfast, there is always someone to greed me at the door and I am always swiftly shown to a table. I usually eat fruit, cheese and ham but my guests are spoilt with an incredible choice of hot or cold savouries dishes and breakfast desserts.
I’ve been a few times and I have had the opportunity to meet the manager – Antonio. Very seldom I am able to talk to him as he is constantly moving in the very large and busy restaurant area, looking after customers and supervising the staff.
The restaurant/breakfast is all mostly self-service and it is take-as-much as you like. No matter how many times I get new plates/dishes, the table is always promptly cleared. The service and quality of food are excellent and the staff is always charming.
It might cost a bit more than other places but, for me, location, service, quality, choice, cleanliness and stylish surroundings makes it my preferred location for breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Max691p
Dear Max691p,

Thank you for writing such a lovely review.
We always enjoy receiving such positive feedback and are delighted you always enjoy dining with us and that we are your preferred location for breakfast
I have passed on your lovely comments to Antonio and the team.

With kind regards

Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2014

If you are not motorised and have heavy or extensive baggage it is recommended you arrive by taxi. Gloucester Road tube station is temptingly close, but offers no exit alternative to three flights of steps from platform to ground level. Also the direct link to and from Heathrow Piccadilly Line platforms are closed for many months to come Finally, the entrance to the hotel from the road is not evident to first timers, and the location of the hotel plotted on Google maps
is approximate to say the least.

The hotel is extremely busy at this time of year and arrivals may have to thread their way through piles of baggage and semi-animate groups of tourists to negotiate the extensive lobby area. Our experience was good; we were greeted charmingly on arrival and escorted to reception where check in was protracted but problem free. I was offered a room on the first floor, but forewarned by other Trip Advisor subscribers, I mentioned that I had heard it was noisy and requested something on a higher floor. The receptionist agreed it could be noisy at times, and offered a room on the fourth floor, which she mentioned was slightly smaller.

Despite the warning we found the room size perfectly adequate for our requirements, although we could have done with a queen size bed. The air-conditioning was noisy, but the main thing was that it was extremely efficient during this very hot spell. As we are both on the large side, the size of the bed was somewhat offset by the generous size of the bathtub. The HD TV was fine with a somewhat eccentric choice of channels available beyond the basics.

The large number of guests necessitated queuing for breakfast on one morning peak period, A good idea was that orange juice was served to the queue ensuring a head start once seated. We thought that the restaurant staff coped very competently with the large numbers. Coffee was invariably served on arrival and we always found the buffet food, in particular the fried and scrambled eggs fresh and suitably hot.

The location is excellent, Close to Gloucester Road tube, although limited to District and Circle line direct - inevitably changes on to the more modern lines necessitate long walks through depressing tunnels with more flights of steps than escalators encountered. When the Piccadilly Line access is finally re-established the tube will be much easier to negotiate.

The hotel proved friendly and comfortable, and from our experience we would recommend it as good trouble free value for money.

Room Tip: Fourth floor proved quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear trotter93,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would recommend staying at Millennium Gloucester.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Long Beach, California
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Chief William takes pride in his work. On our recent stay in London before getting on to a cruise to the Baltic we stayed in the Millennium. I was surprised to see the assistant chef in the dinning room checking on the food stations. First of all you usually don't see the chief. I loved all the variety that was there for us to enjoy. So I told him so and he was so friendly and thanked me. A short time later we see him in front of the hotel as we are walking out and he greeted us (mind you he sees a lot of people but again he spoke to us). We again told him how much we enjoyed the variety and the quality, and the food was hot and cooked to perfection. We will be back as I like to staying in a hotel where the staff is friendly, helpful and you can tell they enjoy working there. I would say the Millennium gets five stars from me. John and Mary Lou from Spinnaker Bay Long Beach, CA

Room Tip: We have a group with us and all feel the rooms are good. Low noise spacious rooms very clean and mod...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear John W,

Thank you for such a wonderful review, I am delighted you had such a great stay with us. I have shared you lovely comments with the team and especially to William who are delighted to receive such positve feedback.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

The location of the hotel is very convenient and the service of the staff is outstanding.
Especially Dominic during the breakfast section, he is very friendly and helpful. My family feels very welcomed and relaxed during our stay.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank shirley_swa
Dear shirley_swa,

Thank you for your review and am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have passed on your kind comments to the team and especially to Dominic.

We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards

Clacton on Sea, England
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Little special about this hotel, the rooms were staring to look tired. You would have thought that as the hotel was near full and the breakfast restaurant was always very busy with food continually coming from the kitchen that the food would have been hot!!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple