“Very nice hotel with great location”

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #546 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 8, 2008

They are located in 2 minutes walk from Gloucester tube station
with Tesco Express, Starbucks, Burger King, KFC.
Yes, I have 2 kids. Very convenient, if you are American considering 2:1 currency between UK Sterling and USD.

Hotel is very clean and we enjoyed spacious room.
Staff were nice too.

The inconvenience we had was the elevator.
They have 2 elevator solely for Millennium members therefore
it does not work for other guests. It works fine until couple of elevator starts to malfunction.

Breakfast buffet at the restaurant, they didn;t seem to know the difference between
Japanese and Chinese food. When asked about Japanese food, I was directed to Chinese food which was Congee and pork bun
and some other stuff.

Stayed: June 2008
Write a ReviewReviews (4,775)

Reviewed July 1, 2008

with all the mixed reviews... i was expecting a so-so experience but the hotel was great. not excellent just above average

first the concierge was helpful with the luggage, reception was pleasant, and the . my parents stayed in the first floor and got a bigger room with 1 couch and bigger desk area.i stayed in the fourth floor with the room slightly smaller and being located well in the back.. it was quite dark without the lights.

both rooms were renovated and they contain tea/ coffee amenities; toiletries were replenished everyday and the rooms were clean. the hallways do have a slight smell but that posed no problem for me. the only problem i experience was their useless iron that doesnt heat up. they responded immediately after i called and had it exchanged.

breakfast is expensive at 15 pounds. this is just standard fare breakfast so i suggest eating somewhere else.i suppose they are required to promote their own restaurants but the bugis chinese brassiere was NOT good at all.

location's excellent. just a 1 minute walk away from the tube. i like the fairly residential area of gloucester with tesco and waitrose nearby. south kensington is also a 5-15 min walk away and have lots of good restaurants

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2008

It's seems that staying here is something like a lottery considering the variety of ratings so far and unfortuantely I can only award the minimum in relation to my stay.

It started out well. The lobby was well presented and the check-in was painless with pleasent staff (where we were reminded that we were getting a continental breakfast). I enquired about good places to eat for lunch and instead of getting some insiders knowledge I got the 'official list' of affiliated establishments (advertised around the hotel). I guess that must be hotel policy!?!? Unfortunately that was as good as it got.

The corridor leading to our hotel room smelled stale. It's wallpaper was peeling off in places and the harsh downlighting over our door highlighted various dents and scratches. The room itself was tiny (TINY I tell you), dark and depressing with the same faintly stale smell. There was hardly any natural light and the fixtures did not shed much more of it.

The following morning we went down to breakfast where we were reminded once again that we were having the continental breakfast. Call me stingy if you like, but when staying at a so-called 4 star hotel it seems strange to have to pay a supplement for a hot breakfast (the price of which was astronomical on the menu). Both morning we had to repeatedly remind the staff to bring us tes/coffee and on both ocasions it arrived after we finished.

We were not asked whether we enjoyed our stay when checking out and I'm glad because I didn't want to ruin our break by getting hot under the collar.

To sum it up, this hotel is trying to be something it's not and not trying very hard.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank allegro_barbaro
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I just returned from my stay at the Millennium Gloucester and I had such a wonderful time at the hotel. I was worried after reading many reviews. Upon my arrival, I was given a choice of a smaller room on the 1st floor, but for 25 pounds I was told that I could upgrade to a Club Room on the 5th floor. I took a look at both and worked out a deal with the person who was checking me in, for only 20 more pounds to stay in the Club Room on the 5th floor. It included free internet, mini bar and a full breakfast in the morning. It also had an express elevator which bypassed the first 4 floors. It was well worth the extra money. The room was beautiful and really large, with a desk area for my laptop. I couldn't believe how large it was considering how European rooms tend to be smaller than what I'm used to in the States. It was definitely a four star experience for me. The staff from the front desk, to the concierge and the wait staff in the breakfast area, were so nice, polite, helpful and a real pleasure.

There was a hair dryer over by a large mirrored wall unit, and also one in the bathroom. I had a hugh wide screen TV with many channels, English, American and then some in German & Italian I think. There also was a keyboard hooked up to the TV so you could have used the TV for the internet access. I loved the towel warmer in the beautiful marble bathroom. There was a nice terry robe hung on the bathroom door, In the closet there was a pants press, an ironing board and iron, as well as a safe. Everything was very fresh looking and the carpet in the room looked very new, although there was a small cigarette burn. I was told that it was a non smoking hotel room, and there would be a large fine, if caught smoking. There were many many lights throughout the room and so I could have many levels of lighting. I also tried out the room service and was very happy with everything excepting the potato soup.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with this hotel. It's convenience to the Gloucester Tube station. The grocery store Waitrose right past the tube station. The 7-11 type store which I think was called Tescos was also right down the street. South Kensington is centrally located and a very nice area. There were some nice restaurants within a couple of blocks of walking. It was near Hyde Park, the Natural History Museum, Albert Hall, Harrods, Victoria & Albert Museum to name a few.

I look forward to my return to London and the Millennium Gloucester.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank sciencetraveler
Reviewed June 15, 2008

I am currently travelling on business, and dont want to stay in a [--] hole, nor a 5star. 4star is fine. but i wont stay here again. if you need the internet....be sure to be ready to work in the business station. i HATE them, preferring to do my work in my room but the internet played up the whole time.
the rooms are of decent size, but outdated, with a couple modern touches....but its disappointing. it is across the road from the underground, and in a cute strip of shops and near Fulham, Chelsea and Hyde Park and Oxford st (about 20-30mins walk), but i got very depressed here at the hotel. it was just boring and a bit away from it all....and im not even a party animal!
i was there for 2 weeks.....i just couldnt be bothered packing up and going. there is a very good osteo/chiro down the road.
i have since left london, went to dublin (dont stay at D4) and am back in london at a very cute and cool hotel at covent garden....the radisson edwardian mountbatten. see if you can stay here.....much better. its in a quiet spot but so close to it all and right amongst the west end, streets away from Soho and China town....bloody marvellous. No depression here!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank AussieJbf
Reviewed June 14, 2008

We booked this hotel on a last minute site. On arrival we were very impressed by the lobby and thought ourselves lucky when we were informed we were upgraded on our room. As we stepped out of the lift on the 7th floor we were met with the smell of damp and cigarette smoke. Our room was a good size twin room which I'm afraid to say was the only good thing about it. The room had a musty damp smell, interior was very outdated. The net curtains were stained and grubby looking and the curtains themselves were also stained and ripped. In the corner of the room sat a grubby and threadbare armchair and footstool. The so called duvets on the beds consisted of an old wool blanket concealed inside a duvet cover.
Breakfast ws very good and there was a good selection on offer. The hotel was in great locality and close to tube and shops.
Overall very disappointed with the room and would not stay in this hotel again. Looks great on the outside but very poor inside.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank RobinsonUk
Reviewed May 27, 2008

met by friendly spanish lad at reception.room fine.reception area nice.breakfast ok if can beat queue.hotel scores on location,beside underground and street with pub and restaurants.recomended definitely if get good deal.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple