“Christmas Shopping”

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #547 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Spent a long weekend shopping leading up to Christmas. Arrived in London early Friday and dropped bags at the hotel, returning later to check in. Friendly helpful staff. Literally a stones throw from Gloucester Rd Tube Station… and Pauls patissiere (A very nice French alternative to Greggs) which we used rather than eating in the hotel.

The hotel looks a tad grotty from outside… but please don’t let this put you off! For £100 a night you can’t fault it! I expected to feel a little ripped off… but genuinely feel it was good value for money.

Bedding was a little shiney, but had that in other hotels previously

I look forward to visiting London again, and may well use the Millennium Gloucester again… unless I decide to explore London further and have a change of scenery.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Danila J, Executive Office Assistant on behalf of Mr Lee Richards, Hotel Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear adamatdraycott,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor!

I was heartened to know that you were enjoyed your stay with us and your shopping break in London!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future and even if you feel like exploring next time, the transport links are so good that you can visit all parts of London very easily and still have your "home away from home" at the Gloucester.

We wish a happy 2013!

Executive Office

Write a ReviewReviews (4,793)

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Great location with car parking which was essential for us. Very helpful and friendly staff, room clean and comfortable. We didn't use the pool or spa facilities as we didn't have time on this occasion.

Dear Carolyn910,

Thank you for your review.

We are very grateful for your kind comments, especially about the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of your visit in the future and that you stay longer with us.

On behalf of the team, I wish you a prosperous 2013!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Great stay, we were made to feel welcome and service levels were outstanding! Although we had reserved a bargain prepaid rate, the staff still treated us with the best service. They allowed early check in (10 am) as we came from an early international flight. Lobby is gorgeous, bar is very nice and not too expensive. Our room was a good size (for London) and well stocked with amenities; kettle, tea/coffee, safe etc. The building is older and the bath was a huge deep enamel tub - dont see these very often nowadays. Shower had great pressure and massage settings too! Best thing is the location, literally steps form gloucester rd tube- great if you are coming from Heathrow as you can get off the piccadilly line before the busiest bit of central London. There is a waitrose and tesco outside for snacks, several bars and restaurants within steps. It is about a 10 min walk to the v&a and science museum, so really great location. This is now my favourite London hotel (I've stayed in lots!)

1  Thank munkispank

Dear munkispank,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor!

I was delighted to know that you had an enjoyable time at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel and that we met your expectations in all aspects of your stay.

On behalf of the team, we wish a happy 2013 and we look forwart to your next visit to London!

Best regards,

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Visited London to see the Christmas lights and took advantage of a deal on Travel Zoo for £99 per room per night based on two sharing including buffet breakfast. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived early afternoon but they informed us they had upgraded us to a premier room at no extra charge and gave us a voucher for a drink in the bar which was very relaxing following our journey. The room was spacious and the bed large and comfortable. The room was very clean and there were all the bits you would expect such as hairdryer, trouser press, kettle, iron etc. It was clear that it was a fairly old building and the reception area, bar and restaurant had been refurbished to a high standard. The plumbing could do with upgrading but the shower was hot and powerful. Nice and quiet at night in our room. Perfect location with Gloucester Road tube right opposite and direct line to Hyde Park, Harrods and the West End - would definitely use again depending on standard prices.

1  Thank Janette D

Dear Janette D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor!

I was very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations on service and standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Happy 2013!

Danila Juglee

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here for a week while spending Christmas in London, got a great price by bidding for a four-star hotel in this zone on another web site. Being practically across the street from the Gloucester Road tube station is a huge plus for this hotel. The lobby was very nice, staff was helpful, a bit overly so on the part of the doormen, as I prefer to just handle my own luggage. I've lugged it all the way from Heathrow on the tube, I can manage the last 20 meters, thanks...

Didn't use the internet, as it's ridiculously expensive, priced for those who are being reimbursed by their employer, not for vacationers on a budget. Fortunately the nearby Caffe Nero and Burger King both have free wi-fi, so save yourself some money, go to one of them and get some food/drink and do your web surfing, unless someone else is footing the bill.

The room was of a good size, not cramped, and in great shape. We had room 357, which had a bit of street noise, but it didn't bother us. The only real negative was the ridiculously low height that the shower head was installed at. I'm 6 foot, 1 inch tall, and really had to crane my neck to wash my hair, as standing upright the shower head would barely clear my shoulder, and though the tub is long, it doesn't arc out very far, so you stand very close to the faucet while showering. Moving the shower up a foot and putting on a more adjustable head would have made it much better. There weren't many usable electrical outlets in the room either, so if you're traveling with a CPAP machine, make sure you find one that'll work for you before you unpack or get ready for bed.

We didn't eat any food in the hotel, as again, the prices aren't for the traveler on a budget, $35 for breakfast? No thanks, there's a Tessco Express near the tube and a patisserie a few doors down from that for much less.

The TV was nice, though there was an intermittent hiccup in the signal on every channel where the picture would sort of freeze for a fraction of a second every minute or so, most people would probably not notice, and I'm admittedly a snob about my HDTV, but I'd want it fixed if I ran the hotel.

All in all, a very comfortable hotel, set in a great location for seeing London, and a great value at the price we paid. Had I paid the typical rate, I'd have been more upset about the shower, but it was just an annoyance, not a real disaster.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Danila J, Executive Office Assistant on behalf of Mr Lee Richards, Hotel Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Psyclonus,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I was pleased to know that overall you were satisfied with your stay with us and that you had a nice time in London.

I passed your constructive feedback to the relevant department heads for discussion and action and I thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Have a great 2013!!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Selected this hotel since it was the least expensive quality option. It is a little run down as many conference center hotels can be but the staff were great and the location outstanding. A short walk to glorious Hyde Park, Albert Hall and Memorial, Kensington High Street etc. and with fine selection of restaurants and shops very close by. Room was spacious, clean and well serviced. I upgraded to Club status which was not too much more than the exorbitant daily wifi and breakfast fees I would otherwise have incurred. Having to pay high price for wifi in an expensive hotel is a pet peeve but it really ticks me off. Club room breakfast was a little limited but service was excellent from friendly staff. Overall a very good experience and I would happily book this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Mark T,

Thank you for your very positive comments.

We are very grateful for your kind feedback and satisfied that you overall enjoyed your stay with us.

I have passed your comments about WiFi to the management and they will be taken into consideration when we next review our standards.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Happy 2013!!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I booked a room at the Millenium Gloucester hotel primarily because I was looking for a hotel in Kensington near a District Line tube station (so I could get to the Heathrow Express easily), and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of room and service I received at the hotel. The room I had was clean, relatively spacious and appeared to have been updated in the past few years. The rate was attractive, but once there I learned that everything besides the actual room is "a la carte" so be very careful when using the services.... phone, internet, room service, etc... unless you understand the price first. I made one local call which lasted 7 minutes. On my bill I was charged almost 20 quid! Nevertheless, it is literally across the street from the Gloucester Rd. tube station, which is nice when it is drizzly and cold outside - which is often. From there, it is an easy ride to just about anywhere in central London. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear johnbhansen,

Thank you for your review.

I was glad to know that you were pleasantly surprised with the Millennium Gloucester and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your comments about the charges have been noted down and will be taken into consideration when we next review our services.

We hope to have the pleasure of your visit in the near future.

Happy 2013!