“Top notch place at nice location”
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Royal Garden Hotel
Ranked #92 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Hong Kong
“Top notch place at nice location”
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Stayed there for 1 night for work (client booked us there). Great location next to Hyde Park. Breakfast was very good (though expensive, as almost always in hotels...). Wanted to try the gym but I was too early (jetlag) and it was still closed (e.g. no 24-h service) so I went for a jog in the park instead. I guess it's a good one as also used for non-guests.
Rooms were a bit small, but overall very good (quite, cosy and high quality).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I stayed in this hotel to attend an awards ceremony that was being held there. I felt it pricey but worth the extra to be in the same hotel.

I made my booking for a queen room via a third party company and it was clearly listed as a double room for two people. I was later advised by the hotel staff that this room was not deemed suitable for two people and they ‘recommended’ I pay an additional £30 to upgrade. Which I did.

I must admit the room itself was very pleasant and spacious, but no matter how hard I looked I could not find any tea or coffee facilities. I contacted reception but was told this facility was not available but I could order from room service if is wished. Sorry but I am not paying over £3 for a tea bag and hot water (I don’t take milk or sugar). Luckily Starbucks was opposite so we paid a visit. I was later told by other attendees at the awards that they had tea and coffee in their rooms.

I then followed the instructions provided to access the Wifi but couldn’t do it. I phoned the number provided and was asked if I had purchased Wifi as it was at additional cost. There was no mention of this on the instructions. Again, no I am not incurring the excessive additional costs.

It was horrible to wake up in the morning with no facilities for a cup of tea so we planned to ship out pretty quickly, but despite being told checkout was at 12, there was a knock on the door and in walked the maid wanting to know what time we were leaving.

Considering this was a 5 star hotel I was extremely disappointed. I stop in hotels regularly for work and this is the worst I have stayed in as far as experience goes. I have stayed in 3 star hotels where the staff are friendly and bend over backwards to accommodate your needs. I have stayed in hotels where tea and coffee is not provided in your room but is available complementary on request.

All this hotel wants to do is apply additional charges for things we are accustomed to being included.

It turned out that the prize I could have won at the award ceremony was a two-night stay in the same hotel. I have never been so relieved not to win something! Yes the bathrobe was nice, but I’d swap it for a cuppa any day.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Babybayliss
RoyalGardenHotelUK, Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2010
We were sorry to hear you had some problems during your stay. We do sell our Queen rooms for single occupancy only so can only apologise this was wrongly described with the third party company you booked with. We do offer Best rate guarantee on our own website so would always recommend to book direct with the hotel.

With regard to the tea & coffee making facilities, we are now including this in all our newly refurbished rooms and are completing our last 4 floors of bedrooms so all rooms will have tea & coffee making facilities. We do however offer a tea & coffee tray to rooms on request so can only apologise you were not offered this when requested.

Sorry you were disturbed in the morning, maids do check to see if guests have departed if the do not disturb sign is not on the door.

We do pride ourselves on being the best value 5 star hotel in London so are very sorry you didn't feel this was the case on your stay with us.
Oxford, UK
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Every member of staff we met this hotel went out of their way to deliver superb customer service. The last time we encountered service like this was in Singapore (never in a UK hotel of this size). We later discovered that this hotel is linked with the Goodwood Park in Singapore. All is explained!
We had a garden view room one night and a contemporary room the other night, Both had very comfortable super king beds, a settee, fitted widescreen flat TV and full bathroom.
The food in the Terrace restaurant and lounge is top notch and good value. You do not need to leave the hotel to enjoy a tremendous meal in sylish surroundings. In October there is a half price champagne offer- enjoy!
the Spa and Gym are a disappointment, not quite up to the standards of the rest of the hotel. The gym is equipment is quite new though.
Short walk from here to the Albert Hall, Kensington Gardens are next door.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Supposedly a luxurious Hotel it relies in its location to provide the wow factor.
If one is to spend that sort of money one would expect more than two tea bags, some real coffee bags, real milk; more than one towel, one cup and saucer and free wifi; in house movies and an air conditioning unit that is not so noisy that it keeps one awake at night.
Incoming guests at 1am should be encouraged not to shout and scream on the forecourt. As initially suggested it is close to wonderful Hyde Park and despite the austere reception area the staff are less so and friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fearnaught
RoyalGardenHotelUK, Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2010
Thank you for your recent comments with regard to your recent stay with us and apologise you had some concerns regarding the hotel. From your comments I am assuming you booked one of our Queen Rooms which is for single occupancy but we are always happy to provide extra towels and tea and coffee amenities so apologise this was not made clear during your stay. We do always try and control any guest noise but as you can appreciate can be difficult to do this at all times.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2010

The location and views overlooking Kensington Palace Gardens is amazing. The rooms are large by London standards, and there is no traffic noise.

Very convenient location for tube and bus stop.

Breakfast at £21pp is a ripoff! Internet at £20/day is too expensive.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cookstown, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2010

My first time staying in the Kensington area. We got off at the High Street Kensington tube station and walked about 5 minutes to the hotel. Great shops and eating places along the way. Check-in was seamless and within minutes was up in our Garden view room. The room was fresh, clean, and had a nice little sitting area at the window as the room had a nice view of Kensington gardens, was nice and quiet ( great to unwind in a city ). The room was nice and spacious and was nicely laid out. The beds were comfy, in the room, the room had plenty of lighting and a dimmer for adjusting. Nice toiletries from the White Company, a bath, rainwater shower and when we requested more toiletries ( never seems to be enough for two usually in hotels ), they sent some straight up no problems. All the staff were so welcoming and accommodating , the concierge looked after us well too. The only negative I can say would be that the food and drink in the hotel are crazy prices, the internet too. But, when in London, why sit in and eat when you can get out and explore?

Overall, loved the hotel, got a great service and have no complaints.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
North Canton, OH
Reviewed September 23, 2010

The concierge staff of this hotel are phenomenal!! We had an medical emergency during our very short stay here and they couldn't have been more helpful! (Our 12 day trip to England, Wales and Scotland was cut to 36 hours in London!! For all that, the Royal Garden helped us to have pleasant memories of that time)

The room was clean and pleasant although the view out our window was disgusting. We expected that as the price we paid for our nights there were below normal due to our booking at a discount site. Luckily, we hadn't come to London to look out our hotel room, we came to see the city and the address of this hotel couldn't be better for that activity. It's at the center of everything we needed. Expensive but worth the effort if you want a classy place!!

We ate in the restaurant and unfortunately, were not impressed by it but you can't have everything!! The class of the hotel made up for alot!!

• Stayed May 2010