“Great Service, Excellent Location & Views”
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Royal Garden Hotel
Ranked #92 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I have stayed here before. When we returned in Feb 2014, we were pleased to see the improvements after the renovation. Service as before was excellent; check in was quick; room service very prompt. The hotel's restaurants are among our favorites when we visit London. The Park Terrace off the lobby and overlooking Hyde Park has one of the best English afternoon tea in London. To cater to the cosmopolitan and international clientele, it also offers among the best Asian (Singapore/Malaysian) dishes in London. Our top floor room with its very large full-width windows overlooked the Park and we could see the London skyline -- what a sight to behold on a beautiful morning --- nothing like it in London. On the same floor is what we consider to be the best Chinese restaurant in London, with a spectacular park & skyline view to wow your dining experience--- its Peking Duck is divine, carved at your table! We have tried most of the dishes and I can attest to their authenticity and fine preparation. The wait staff has always accommodated our dietary preferences. We have entertained many friends here (even the Londoners were not aware of the excellent food here and its views). Great for Sunday brunch as well. The neighborhood is terrific for strolls in the huge Hyde Park or the residential areas across the street. Whole Foods and Marks & Spencers are just a few minutes walk away. Terrific location. Very good value.

Room Tip: Get the park view rooms -- wake up to a rare sight in London.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MILKONY
Write a ReviewReviews (3,589)

Reviewed June 15, 2014

No great complaints for what is a standard 5-star hotel in a major European metropolis.
One gripe, though.
We ordered some takeaway food from a sushi restaurant that has a delivery service. We've eaten in that sushi restaurant previously. I'd arranged to pay cash. Tipping is a weird American custom, but I like it.
Yes, I know ordering food from outside may be seen as slightly naughty, as the hotel restaurants are good.
The food arrived promptly. So promptly that I'd just gotten out of the shower when the front desk called to say it had arrived.
Could the food be brought up to our 6th floor room?
The delivery guy wasn't allowed up.
I can sort of understand this in a city where there are subway announcements every few minutes warning of unattended baggage and advising people to report anything suspicious to a police officer. London does seem a mite edgy when it comes to security.
However, the notion that no member of staff was available to deliver the food to our room was hard to get my head around. The hotel doesn't employ bell hops as such. I suppose you only notice the likes of bell hops and bus boys when they're needed.
Bell hops would presumably work minimum wage. In London, that would be around $300 per week. That the $400 per night the Royal Garden charges doesn't stretch to employing bell hops is somewhat staggering.
Pressing the matter, I was told the delivery guy could be allowed access through the kitchens. What difference it makes to security whether he enters via the kitchens or the foyer is difficult to see.
Ten minutes later I got a call from the delivery guy. He was back at the front door. He said he'd driven round to the back entrance & tried getting in via the kitchens. He'd received puzzled looks and been denied access. That's scarcely surprising.
By this time I was dressed, so I went down to collect the food.
I gave the delivery guy a £10 tip. Some of that would have gone to a bell hop, had there been one.
It's always seemed to me that bell hops are standard in London, as they are elsewhere.
Earlier in the week, I'd met a business colleague at The Wellesley, at the other end of the park. He ordered takeaway food & paid cash. A bell hop brought it up from the front desk.
Nice enough stay at the hotel, but the lack of a service allowing things brought up to your room is not good enough.

2  Thank Donna H
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel. I am happy to hear that you had a nice stay overall.

I am however sorry to hear about the issue you experienced with the delivery of your food to your room. Our policy like most London hotels is that we don’t allow food deliveries through the front of the hotel. This is due to health and safety issues as well as food hygiene issues. We ask all deliveries to be taken to the security door, whereby a member of security will escort the delivery person to your room. From what we understand, on this occasion the delivery person couldn't identity back door security – we are therefore looking at procedures to improve this process. With regards to our porters, we do hire porters who will of course deliver to rooms. However, again because of h&s procedures they are unable to accept food items, to deliver to the rooms. This is pretty common practice throughout London hotels.

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. We have been able to identify a process that could be improved thanks to your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed June 14, 2014

My key tip for this hotel: the finicky little shampoo bottle is impossible to open if your fingers are wet so make sure you open them before you get in.

My only complaint: why do they use such cheap, thing, tracing-paper-ish toilet paper? And what is the weird talcum powder stuff doing on it?

This is a nice hotel, a popular business stop and a great location with everything you might possibly need just outside your door from Ken High Street itself, to the Tube, to Hyde Park. Before OneFineStay launched in London this was where I always stayed and I had another very pleasant stay this time.

I can also strongly recommend the physio's downstairs, in case you're in need.

2  Thank PhlashPhlash

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel.

I appreciate your comments in regards to the toilet paper and shampoo bottle, I have passed on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper for her to look into and review accordingly. I also appreciate your positive comments in regards to our masseuse; I have forwarded her your comments and she was very happy and satisfied to hear that you would recommend her to others.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 12, 2014

That's it, you pay mostly for the location, which is Superb!!!
You are not paying for the hotel, which I expected more for the price I payed -King room facing Hyde Park. A little disappointing that on the second floor the view is not that nice; so you ask for an upper floor.
The room is really fancy and nice, good space, tub, bed and great pillows etc... but then the shampoo and little perks are below 5 star hotel...
So kind of contrasting, which I didn't expect for the price. But once you get out and start walking by Kensington Road and Hyde Park, you will forget how much you paid =))))

Room Tip: If you pay for a room facing Hyde Park ask for 3rd floor or above, or you will not have the full vie...
3  Thank Victor B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the convenient location of the hotel, here in leafy Kensington.

I am however sorry you didn’t findd your room amenities to be up to a 5-star standard. I apologise for any disappointment caused; I have passed on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper for her to look into and include in her investigations.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Booked this hotel for a belated wedding anniversary celebration. We were upgraded from a King room to a King room with garden view room for free. Great location, great service. Absolutely nothing to complain about!

1  Thank Mark O
Reviewed June 10, 2014

It's a huge hotel, always very crowed, but with excellent service, a wonderful cost/benefit relationship and a very friendly staff, that is constantly at your service. One additional thing, however: THE ACCOMMODATIONS ARE SENSATIONAL in what concerts comfort, space, room amenities and VIEWS if you are turned to the Royal Garden.

Room Tip: Royal Garen view, floor from 4th to above
1  Thank LSARJBR
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I find myself having to head up to London every 4 to 6 weeks. I used to stay at the Mandarin Oriental or Intercontinental, but after a while you realize that the 200 pounds plus you often save per night staying at the Royal Garden can be quite useful in London.

The Royal Garden is clean and comfortable, the staff are excellent as is the location. The Chinese restaurant is first class. Breakfast is similar to the Intercontinental - not even close to the Mandarin but at less than half the price you can't complain.

There is a Starbucks directly opposite if you don't want Breakfast.

I haven't used the Gym in a while, but I seem to remember it wasn't impressive, but I am not working out in London I am eating and drinking.

Overall I would say the Royal Garden is a bargain in London.

1  Thank Andrew B