“A bit like the England football team - 1966 was it's high point”
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Royal Garden Hotel
Ranked #91 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 27, 2014

The England team celebrated its world cup win at the hotel and whilst it may be unkind to suggest that nothing much has changed, it's not took far from the truth. This is the second time I've stayed here, my boss is a creature of habit and has stayed here 4 times. Selecting a business hotel from Australia has it's perils and the main advantage of the hotel is it's location on High St Kensington on the fringes of Kensington Gardens.

You enter the hotel into a pretty soulless lobby area with a choice of 3 desks. The concierge seems to be the most heavily populated and engaged but check in is a purely transactional affair which, given the price of the rooms and the supposed 5 star status, is disappointing. The rooms are tiny and lack modern facilities such as USB charger ports - the clock radio is quaint. The bathroom is in perfect proportion to the room - positively Lilliputian.

There is nowhere to store any luggage but there is, in addition to the writing desk, a completely useless armchair and occasional table which would make navigation to the bathroom in the middle of the night a hazardous experience were in not for the strategically placed searchlights which are clearly designed to replicate a Norwegian summer evening. The wardrobe and minibar cupboard have an automatic lighting system that operates when the doors are opened. The catches on these cupboards are not the best and consequently the lights sometimes come on during the night. Happily the abundance of furniture in the room provides a fulsome source of objects to prop them shut.

The bar opening hours are bizarre and you are regularly shunted from one to another. Fortunately the nightclub next door is always open and the in-room light show allied to the regular outpouring of revellers is a constant reminder of this fact.

In keeping with many hotel of this ilk wifi charges are outrageous but these charges are in keeping with the breakfast charges - 50 dollars?

The gym - don't bother, run in Kensington Gardens instead - who wants to descend a crappy lift into a dungeon with the same proportions as the rooms. There is no sitting area, just a number of alcoves in the windows off the lobby.

The published cost is about 450 a night which is frankly taking the proverbial. Prepayment usually halves this. The staff costs of running this hotel must be horrendous - permanent housekeeping trolley presence on each floor, and don't try reading a newspaper at breakfast - you are interrupted all the time.

Finally a bit like hospitals, hotels are impossible to refurbish, especially 5 star ones. Detonate and rebuild.

Room Tip: Have deep pockets
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Nick E
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel didn’t meet your expectations. First of all, I would like to apologise for any disappointment caused or if you feel that any member of the staff didn’t offer the service that you expected.

I was quite shocked to read the review as the vast majority of our guests find that our Queen Rooms are perfect for short stays but there are larger King and Garden Rooms available if required. We are proud of our recent hotel refurbishment which we believe offers an enhanced service whilst maintaining competitive prices en par with other London 5 star hotels. We really appreciate your comments in regards to the layout issues you encountered in your room. I have forwarded your comments onto our Rooms Division Manager for him to look into as we plan ahead with scheduled soft refurbishing.

I am also glad to announce that we are planning a complete refurbishment of the Health Club with a new management company taking over from the 1 June with the purpose of developing the facilities and bringing them in line with the rest of the hotel by the end of August 2014.

Please accept my apologies once again for any disappointment caused.

Yours sincerely,

Jonathan Lowrey

Write a ReviewReviews (3,536)

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Made a trip to London after nearly a decade and the contrast from hotels in Asia was significant with smaller rooms !.
I stayed for three nights on work and really enjoyed the stay. The location next to Kensington park is excellent and just invites you to step outdoors and enjoy nature. The weather was good and as a result I did go for a jog on two mornings.
The Location next to good eateries and some stores also is a great advantage where you can enjoy the london pub culture even if you have only limited time.
In fact I managed some shopping as well. The bus stop just outside the hotel and the courteous staff made the stay most enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Kensington garden and higher floors are best
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel. I am especially happy to learn that you enjoyed the customer service provided by our team and the convenient location of the hotel, surrounded by Kensington’s many attractions.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Lovely room on 9th floor. Amazing views. Was disappointed not to be able to get a drink at the hotel in one of the bars. The terrace bar did not have a space and the other bar opened at 5pm.
The cost of wifi at £20 for 24 hours was quite a shock considering how many people use it everyday. Housecleaning knocked on our door at 8.50 on a Sunday morning! but that was probably our fault as we couldn't find the "do not disturb sign" but it was actually a switch by the door. Hotel staff very friendly. Didn't pay the £25 for cooked breakfast. Location was faultless.

Room Tip: Room 910 great view but bed was so cold I had to put on one of the bathrobes and put the other one o...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mossy M
Reviewed May 25, 2014

The five of us stayed at the Royal Garden back in October 2012, as it was my sixteenth birthday. The hotel is wonderful, the executive suite is such a great room, with large bathrooms. The staff at reception and at the front of the hotel are extremely helpful and polite. The Chinese restaurant which is at the top of the hotel is one of the best restaurants we have ever been to. The hotel is so good that we saw Jamie Lang and Adele at the hotel on two different days! We cannot thank the hotel enough for the wonderful stay, it was such a special visit and an incredible birthday that I will not forget.

Room Tip: Executive suites are great!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rosie J
Reviewed May 25, 2014

My wife and I and two friends stayed at the hotel for 5 nights and we were not entitled to the free wifi that they claim is available. The reason: we booked through a computer site. You must book through them to get it or else, are you ready for this, they will charge you 20 pounds per day if you want the service. There is a Starbucks across that street that is more accommodating than this rip-off.

Room Tip: try to get a room that faces the Kensington Gardens
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Slimmer72
Reviewed May 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Royal Garden for four nights during late April 2014 and couldn't be happier with our stay. Its position on Kensington High street beside Kensington and Hyde Parks
was great, very convenient. The staff were friendly and professional, couldn't be faulted. Our room on the third floor was very comfortable , room service excellent. We'd definitely recommend this stay, a great base to explore London.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our view of the High street,but next time would ask for a higher floor with a Park view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed at the Royal Garden in end of April 2014 for four nights. Location is great as described, I could walk right through Hide Park during the tube strike, a good start of the day.

Size of the room and facilities all were as I expect at this price level. However, speaking of price, here are some points that really do not fit the (quite substantial) bill:

- wifi is not included if you do not book through the hotel website and would have been about GBP 20 per day extra
- mobile phone reception is so bad (breaking off about every minute) that I had to stop using it in the room
- while the hotel claims to have stunning views, my room on the first floor had partially blinded windows because of a very close neighboring building
- the mini bar was locked even though they had my credit card (and no, I don't think it is my task to ask for it to be unlocked, in a hotel that claims to have five star service it is their task to ask me whether I would like to have it unlocked or even unlock it without asking)

The worst point is that the room doors are so loud when they close that at 8 am sleep was no longer an option. That is the point in time when housekeeping starts and doors will be opened and closed so often that I would have needed ear plugs. And there we go, not getting the sleep for which I (or my company) have paid a lot will leave a bad impression.

So in my view this hotel is ok but not really a recommendation.

Room Tip: get a high floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank FraTravel
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel. I am very sorry to hear that your recent stay with us didn't meet your expectations, please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused.

I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by our Housekeeping team in the morning. I have passed on your remarks to our Executive Housekeeper to reinforce the standards with the team as we appreciate that they could start their shift very early in the morning and guests might be sleeping.

I am also very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced with your mobile phone and mini bar. Is the first time we hear about mobile phone reception problems in the hotel as the signal usually very good. I have therefore forwarded your comments on to our maintenance and IT teams for them to look into these issues. Please accept my apologies once again for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We always try our best to allocate our guests in the higher floors of the building but I hope you can understand that when the hotel is busy this is not always possible.

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. It is through such feedback that we are able to address any areas that require attention and continue to strive to improve the quality of our service.

Best regards,