“Helpful Staff, Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Royal Garden Hotel
Ranked #92 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“Helpful Staff, Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week in mid July. After 21 hours of flight from Australia and the shock of the hot weather in London, we were so pleased that we had selected the right hotel.

Followed the direction posted on the hotel website, we took the Heathrow Express train to the Paddington Station. From there, we took a taxi to the hotel which was about 15-20 minutes ride. Thank you to the taxi driver who knew how to meander through the heavy traffic.

We first greeted by the Concierge staff at the driveway who promptly helped us with the luggage. At the Reception, we were greeted by the courteous staff who have efficiently checked us in. We were allocated a room on the third floor, with the window partly facing High Street. It was noisy when the housekeeping lady opened the window to air the room one day. The days have been really hot and we had the airconditioning on; so, with the windows closed, one would not notice the hotel is actually situated on a busy street. In fact, I quite enjoyed looking out to the bustling High Street during the day and its calmness in the early morning.

The location of the hotel is what we appreciated most. There is a choice of public transport to choose from: five minute walk to Kensington High Street underground station, a bus stop in front of the hotel with various bus routes to Knightsbridge and Buckingham Palace, etc. and taxi. Kensington Garden, Hyde Park and Royal Albert Hall are just within the walking distance. There are lots of eateries nearby if one opts to have eat outside the hotel. There are some lovely restaurants and cafes on Kensington Church Street. Thank you to the Concierge staff who have recommended us some good ones.

The hotel room has a contemporary look with a comfortable king size bed. We particularly liked the raised platform as the sitting area. The room itself is quite spacious for a couple. The bathroom is clean and of good size, with bathtub and a separate shower. I understood that the hotel had gone through some refurbishment a while ago; this was one of the reasons why we picked this hotel.

Thank you for the thoughtful service by the management. On a couple of blazing hot days, we were delivered some chilled sparkling water on our return to the hotel in the afternoon.

There are two con factors: there is no free wifi and the occasional smell of cooking in the lift lobby which faces the restaurant. We registered to pay for the use of wifi; but, it didn't work after five minutes on the first day. We reported it to the lady at the Business Centre. She was apologetic and gave us one day of complimentary use. However, the speed was quite slow, considering if we had paid for it, it would not be a satisfactory service.

All in all, this is a five star hotel even though it does not have the grand decor and space of others in the same catergory. The staff at the Reception and Concierge were always readily to provide us with assistance. They are courteous and professional - an applause for a job well done. We also thank the housekeeping team for keeping our room clean and tidy. This is what one needs after a busy day out.

Royal Garden Hotel will definitely be our choice should we travel to London again. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear your lovely comments and to know that you and your husband enjoyed almost everything about your stay, especially your comfortable rooms, the thoughtful service and our convenient location in leafy Kensington.

I’m also glad to know that our Reception, Concierge and Housekeeping staff has made your stay extra special. Your feedback has been passed on to the relevant teams who were very pleased to hear such positive feedback.
We appreciate your comments in regards to the hotel providing free internet and wanted to let you know that we do offer complimentary Wi-Fi and other benefits when reservations are booked directly through the hotel (telephone, email or our website). But I do appreciate your feedback on the speed, which I have passed onto the IT Manager.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Graham Bamford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hotel was clean and well run. Lovely surroundings.
Staff very helpful and service good.
Situated close to small great restaurants, and shops and tube.
Highly recommended and look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: All rooms were good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Redditch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We arrived at the hotel for a weekend in the capital 3-4 August 2013. I did not expect the room to be ready as it was just after mid-day but the man on reception could not have been more helpful. He took our bags and personally took us to our room, where we had been upgraded free of charge to a deluxe suite.In the restaurant, the staff were attentive and the food and service brilliant. Everything was spotless and clean. We ate out in the evening as this had been arranged but breakfast was just as good and we had a complimentary sunday newspaper. Check out was easy - they stored our bags for us until it was time to leave. I could not fault the hotel or its staff and would happily go there again. HEAVEN!!!

Room Tip: room overlooked Kensington high street - lovely!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear your lovely comments following your recent stay at the hotel. I am especially pleased to know that you were impressed by our customer service and enjoyed the comfort and cleanliness of your Deluxe Room.

We hope to welcome you back for another relaxing stay at the Royal Garden Hotel.

Warm Regards,

Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel for only one night now I wish it had been a week or more. The style, the Décor, location etc. contribute to this hotel being 5 star, but what truly makes it 5 star is its staff. The Staff at the Royal Garden are truly fantastic, very attentive and very professional, I not only give this hotel 5 stars but it's staff too.
I will most definitely stay at this hotel again and next time it will be for much longer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear your positive comments and to know that you enjoyed everything about your 5-star stay at the Royal Garden Hotel, especially the attentiveness of our staff and convenient location. I am very proud of our staff’s effort and it is really rewarding to know that they are doing a great job in making our guests stay a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 6 nights with my two teenage boys. Executive room was spacious and quiet and comfortable. Good location next to Kensington gardens and close to underground. Short walk to good restaurants. One drawback is that there isn't much ambience- no real common areas, and restaurants not particularly appealing. And in room wifi was crazy expensive. But I still recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay. I am pleased to know that you had a nice family holiday in London and enjoyed almost everything about the hotel, especially our location in leafy Kensington.

However, I was disappointed to learn that you felt there was little ambiance and have passed this onto our management team. I also appreciate your comments in regards to the internet and wanted to let you know that we do offer complimentary Wi-Fi and other benefits when reservations are booked directly through the hotel (website, online and telephone). Please do take a look at our offers page the next time you plan a visit for details on any promotions we are having.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Graham Bamford,
Des Moines Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Check in was very quick. Room was nice, bathroom even better. No iron or board which I think is strange for a 5 star. Instant Nescafé coffee in the room did not suffice for me . Being such a nice hotel there should have been better choices. Maybe even a single cup Keurig in the room would be a nice idea. Bertie's bar was lovely and service impeccable. The restaurant however was lacking. We went twice and felt "forgotten" both times after we got our food. Even had to chase someone down to get our check. The coleslaw I received with my sandwich one day looked and tasted old. Not what I would expect for a 5 star hotel. The location however was terrific. Close to shops,restaurants and Kensington Gardens.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the hotel. I’m glad to know that you enjoyed the comfort of the room, the great location of the hotel and Bertie’s Bar in particular.

However, I’m really disappointed to hear your comments in regards to your experience at Park Terrace Restaurant. I have passed on your remarks to our Food & Beverage team but we would really appreciate if you could spare some time and get back to us with more details at feedback@royalgardenhotel.co.uk. In this way we can investigate further and ensure that improvements are made accordingly.

In relation to the ironing board & iron, please do not hesitate to contact Housekeeping or Guest Relations during your next stay as we do deliver these upon request. Apologies if this was not clear during your stay.

We hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Royal Garden Hotel.

london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Check in was quick and the staff are extremely pleasant.
Our room was very nice, it was a bit small, however it had a raised floor section with a small office set up and two armchairs. The bed was on the lower section. It gave the feeling that you had 2 small rooms. Usual things in the room, Flat Screen TV, Wi-Fi, Fridge, Hairdryer, Toilettres, Mini Bar, Snacks(not free), tea & coffee, full length mirror. One thing missing was an ironing board & iron. I've notice that the more we pay for hotel rooms, the less chance of finding one. It would be nice when you unpack all your wrinkled clothes that you can give them a quick iron instead of having to pay someone to do it.
The room came with a view of Kensington High street which was a bit disappointing, I would have prefered looking over the park but I expect that's a lot more expensive. If you have a lower floor at the front of the hotel you will here some street noise, and there is a fire station just around the corner so expect to be disturbed at some point if your staying for a long time.
The hotel does have its own restaurants but we were only staying bed & breakfast so didn't try them. Why in London would you want to eat in a hotel anyway?
Breakfast is buffet style. Continental breakfast was very nice. Good selection of cereals, fruit, yoghurt and meats. Toast and coffee you order from the table. We did have one small problem with it, it didn't seem very well thought out. Two tier round table set in the middle of the dining area. Little children not being able to reach the second tier and making a mess while trying to grab things. Hot breakfast looked nice, usual things, eggs, sausage, bacon, beans and an omelette bar.
Hotel is in a fantastic location for shops and restaurants and has great transportation links close by including buses and tubes. Car park under hotel if needed. Everything is within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, especially the convenient location of the hotel, friendly staff and quality of breakfast. I also noted that you made reference to our breakfast being buffet style and I just wanted to highlight, as you may not be aware, that we do offer an a la carte menu during the week and a buffet style only on the weekend.

I appreciate your comments in regards to the street noise you experienced; we are aware that some rooms facing High Street Kensington can be affected by the noise and are looking at ways to rectify this. I do apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Regarding the ironing board & iron, we do deliver these to rooms upon request so please do not hesitate to contact Housekeeping or Guest Relations for any requests you may have during your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,