“Lovely hotel, excellent location”
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Ranked #92 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

This is not a budget hotel, obviously. We booked a garden facing room (that's facing Kensington Gardens, a big park). Beautiful room, great view. Front desk service excellent, can't comment on restaurant as we did not use them. If I had the money, I would stay there again. Great location.

Only gripe - paying for Internet access, but that is common in the majority of UK hotels.

• Stayed: July 2013
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear your lovely comments and to know that you enjoyed the Front Desk service, your beautiful room and its view.

We appreciate your comment in regards to the internet and please note that we do offer complimentary Wi-Fi and other benefits when reservations are booked directly through the hotel (telephone, email or our website).

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Royal Garden Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (3,589)

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed at the Royal Garden Hotel, London. Lovely hotel and would highly recommend. Exceptional service, particularly Massimo who worked during the breakfast. I don't have a bad word to say about this hotel, luxury throughout and the highlight being the extras in the room. defiantly will be returning to this hotel

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is a fabulous hotel with wonderful amenities and friendly, helpful staff. The one thing that drives me crazy about hotels in general is that most of them have terrible, dim lighting. The rooms at the Royal Garden have great lighting, huge windows and are bright and comfortable. The bathrooms are large, with Grohe faucets (only plumbers would know these are top of the line!!), heated towel racks, great towels, comfortable beds, large rooms. Can't say enough...would definitely return. Great location as well.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before and it is a nice location - next to Kensington Palace and Gardens and the High Street.

The property is very well maintained and extremely clean and probably fine for a short stay - However as a very regular traveller I still find the service can be a bit off at times - I called one week before to request a room at the rear of the hotel as it is normally quieter - I spent ten minutes with the booking staff and they confirmed all would be arranged - I then arrive late one evening after a long journey to book in and am kept waiting for about ten minutes as they tell me I have been put in a room on the other side of the building??!!! So what is the point of the guest wasting their time trying to book ahead when it is clearly ignored or not actioned.

But this is the problem with the Royal Garden sometimes the service is excellent and sometimes it can be average - On evening I was partially stuck in the lift and managed to free the doors to get out and when I reported the incident all I got was a simple - "Oh sorry Sir I will report it to our maintenance people" Not a "Oh dear are you OK Sir what happened - can I take some details etc?"

One morning I gave up waiting for a pot of tea to be delivered at breakfast and sometimes even getting simple toast delivered seems to take a very long time. In my view this would not be a problem if it were a 3 star property but it professes not to be.

I also find it very annoying that a hotel like this expects some guests to spend £20 per day on the internet??!! The hotel has been saying for 2 years that it is reviewing its internet policy but still it persists with the policy- equally it offers no free biscuits in the bedroom - you are expected to buy a box. Even a good old 3 star will provide a free packet of biscuits.

Some bedrooms are also very small if you are there for an extended stay - i would advise that you check the type of room you are getting before hand.

So my conclusion is that this is hotel where you get what you pay for and I suspect the hotel gets so much business it can shrug off complaints like the above - apart from the small apology from the receptionist no one else called to apologise for the fact that they wasted my time in trying to book my room in advance.

They really need to up their drive on service quality and execution and be far more consistent.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room at the rear of the hotel as it is normally quieter than the High Street si...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Anthony,

First of all, thank you for choosing to stay at the hotel and remarking on our good location and level of cleanliness. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience as we are always interested in hearing from our guests.

However, I am concerned to learn of your disappointment in regards to the consistency of the service on your repeat visits and would really appreciate if you could share your experience with us in more detail. Please e-mail us at feedback@royalgardenhotel.co.uk and let us know if you would like to discuss your concerns further with one of our managers; this way we can investigate further and ensure that improvements are made accordingly.

We always strive to deliver consistent 5-star standards of service and our guests’ feedback is most appreciated and fundamental to this.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our family of three booked a "classic" room through Disney Vacation Club for the middle of June. We had a very nice room with two twin beds and a rollaway, having an excellent view of the south end of Kensington Gardens. The hotel was very elegant and the staff were uniformly considerate and helpful. Room wasn't large, but was big enough for three and had all the upscale hotel amenities. Our experience in the restaurants and the main bar was also excellent, and late-night room service was outstanding. The concierge was very helpful with directions and tickets to shows. The hotel location is outstanding, in a great neighborhood with an easy walk to shops, restaurants, Kensington Palace/Gardens, and the tube. The only downside was the expense: hotel food was expensive (but very good), and WiFi and parking are breathtaking. The neighborhood has good dining alternatives. You can get complimentary WiFi depending on how you book (but not through Disney), or a rented mobile hotspot might be an option. And neighborhood parking is even more expensive than the hotel...skip the car altogether if you can.

All things considered, we thoroughly enjoyed our four days, and felt very at-home. Oh yes...Wills and Harry drove by right outside the dining room while we had buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Everything was near perfect, great staff, good room very comfortable with an excellent bed. Bar provided some smart cocktails. Breakfast brilliant as was the location. Top Dollar though £25 for breakfast, £300 for the room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Mike C,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that your stay was nearly perfect, especially that you enjoyed our customer service, the comfort of your room and the cocktails in the bar.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed a week and you do need to have a room which over looks Kensington Gardens. The Concierge desk were all very helpful regarding booking restaurants and directions. A central hotel for walks in the park and Kensington High Street Shopping. The breakfasts were just about OK, definitely not free range eggs and my husbands haddock smelt very strong and fishy and was definitely not fresh. There was no large screen for several of us who wanted to watch Wimbledon and have lunch. The main gripe was that they have very few irons and ironing boards and when you have been travelling other wives like me want to press they husbands shirts and it appears that if someone has borrowed one then they keep in their room and there just were not enough to share around,. They have so many staff from overseas who sadly do not have enough experience or charm for their customers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Judy,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your walks and shopping in Kensington. I am also glad to hear that our Concierge desk was very helpful with recommending restaurants and directions.

However, I am disappointed to hear that your breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your feedback has been passed to our Executive Chef and his team who will review and monitor the standards of quality.

We also appreciate your comments in regards to the irons/ironing boards. I have passed on your remarks to the relevant departments for consideration as we understand that our longer stay guests do retain them, therefore compromising the availability for other guests.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you soon.