“No more trust!”
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Ranked #97 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“No more trust!”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for the last four years on business, and since moving to Spain from the UK my wife stays here when returning to London...so we like the hotel! Unfortunately the hotel has let itself down with a recent fire alarm when my wife and young daughters were guests. They were left outside for two hours in the freezing cold from just before 1.00am...no fault of the hotel...BUT...to have no staff stay with the guests...have your guests in night clothes congregating at the entrance to a night club where drunk men also congregating...that is the hotel management.

I called the General Manager to let him know how disappointed I was...he sounded apologetic, took my wife's name and said he would contact her. In these situations a heartfelt apology and a promise to fix it next time is usually all you need...you guessed it...he (nor any of his staff) made any contact in the two evenings she remained in the hotel.

I believe my daughters were the only children there (13 & 15), left outside a nightclub with drunk men and no supervision from the hotel staff in sight...they will not see me or anyone from my business again!!!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Reluctant_business
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. First of all I wanted to extend our sincere apologies at any inconvenience caused to your family during their stay in regards to the fire evacuation. Our main concern is the safety of our guests, and it was unfortunate that they had to wait outside in the cold, but we are unable to allow guests back in until the Fire Officer was satisfied the building was safe to re-enter. I wanted to let you know that I will be in contact with you directly to discuss this further and rebuild your faith in the Royal Garden Hotel.

Royal Garden Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Far Hills, NJ
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Royal Garden for 6 nights in Oct 2012, combination business trip and weekend stay as a tourist. On my previous trips I had selected hotels near the Insurance District, convenient for work but the neighborhood always struck me as rather dingy and dull. I was much happier with the Royal Gardens' Kensington location. Station for the Tubes is a quick 2 block walk from the hotel, 20 minutes to Tower Hill or Fenchurch. Kensington is vibrant with upscale shops, abundant restaurants, attractive residences & Hyde Park green space. Very pretty and engaging area, had a fantastic weekend strolling the shops, the park and wandering the market on Portobello Road. Hotel itself is nicely appointed, modern, comfortable, upscale...not stodgy or overdone, but also not stark or edgy. Staff was helpful and provided great advice about the area. Food in the bar was actually good, and food in the top floor fine-dining chinese restaurant was excellent. My room was a decent size for a city hotel, with a large and luxurious bathroom. Deep, deep tub and separate shower, with rain shower-head fixture. King bed was comfortable and storage space was plentiful, plus desk, lounge chair & flat screen TV. My room was away from the street and very quiet, and had a great view of Kensington Palace. No "Royals" spotted, however. Hotel price was in line with inescapable corporate guidelines, always tough to find in London. I plan to make the Royal Gardens my go- to hotel for my twice-annual business's trips to the land of the Queen.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I’m delighted to hear that you had a fantastic weekend and found our hotel in Kensington conveniently located for your leisure and business activities. I am particularly happy to know that our staff have done another outstanding job by delivering great customer service and exceptional cuisine as they always do. I am also pleased to know that you enjoyed a comfortable stay in a King Room and that all the room’s features met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the new year.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Free WIFI if you book direct. Overall good value. Room is new but common areas look dated. Staff is not as friendly as other reviews have said. It doesn't provide turn down service unlike most other 5-star hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this lovely hotel. The rooms are clean, beds comfortable service was great. Unfortunately, on our first night there the fire alarm went off at 12.50 am and we had to leave our room immediately and congregate on the street outside. My friend and I only had time to grab our handags and go! It was freezing cold and we were both wearing only towelling robes and no shoes! Two other guests very kindly lent one of us a pair of socks and the other a pair of gent's trainers. There were a few silver foil sheets passed around to the lucky ones! There was no information on what was going on from the few staff members and it got so bad that we hailed a taxi and paid him just to sit there with his heater on. After nearly 2 hours we were let into the foyer but no information was forthcoming. I really feel the hotel should have at least provided a hot drink to us all. I suppose these things do happen but it should have been handled better by the night staff. Unfortunately the whole experience left us very tired and our proposed shopping trip for the next day was marred.
I would still return here again as the location was great, day staff were brilliant, especially the young man on Reception who had Trainee on his badge. He did arrange for us to have some of our extras on our bill removed due to the inconvenience we had the night before.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 6th floor overlooking Kensington High Street and there was quite a bit of noise...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gail002
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review and that you were pleased with the hotel and its facilities. However, I was disappointed to hear that your expectations were not met during the fire evacuation. First of all I wanted to extend our sincere apologies at any inconvenience caused to you and your friend during your stay.

The fire evacuation was quite unprecedented in that it took the fire service some time to find and remedy the source. Our main concern is the safety of our guests, and it was unfortunate that you had to wait outside in the cold, but we are unable to grant access to the building until the Fire Officer was satisfied the building was safe to re-enter.

Secondly, I wanted to reassure you that learning’s have been made following this incidence to ensure guests are kept well informed during events.
Please do let us know if you plan on returning to the hotel.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed here in 2010 and we found the hotel to be a bit stuffy- far more suited to business people than leisure travelers. I was a bit reluctant to return but I am glad we did.

The location was always excellent. However, this time, there was a marked attitude change with the staff. They are far friendlier and helpful. That applies from reception to dining area staff.

If you like a hearty breakfast, spring for the full English Breakfast. It is a few pounds more than the Continental but well and truly worth it. Additionally, the lunch in the restaurant is in the same price bracket as counter lunches in local hotels- and far superior.

And the Prince of Wales hotel a few blocks away has a great atmosphere.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the gardens have a better ambience than those facing the High Street. Also qui...
1 Thank Terry5365
edinburgh
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington. We stayed in a garden view room and it was lovely. A view over Kensington gardens and the room was so comfortable with a nice seating area too. The room was contemporary in style with a beautiful bathroom and a large comfortable bed and large flat screen tv. The staff were super helpful and the concierge arranged our restuarant booking for the Saturday evening. The hotels own Chinese restuarant is extremely popular so book as early as possible. For eating out I can recommend Maggie Jones restuarant which is just around the corner from the hotel, and Ken Lo's Chinese restuarant which is at the Olympia end of Kensington High Street. The hotel is ideally located for the tube station and the Royal Albert Hall. I will definitely be back.

Bedfordshire
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel three times over the past couple of years and each time enjoyed our stay. The hotel is conveniently located for a lot of London attractions but particularly for the Royal Albert Hall, a ten minute walk way. From the minute you arrive the staff are attentive to your needs without being 'in your face'.
The room we had this time was a king size room which had a lovely seating area and a spotless large bathroom. The turn back service was a lovely touch too.
The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. We also had Afternoon Tea which I can fully recommend. Bertie's Bar located above reception has a very good atmosphere.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your positive comments following your recent stay. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed so much during your stay, particularly our customer service, our distinctive breakfast and afternoon tea in Park Terrace Restaurant and the atmosphere in Bertie’s Bar.
We really hope to welcome you back very soon for another similar experience in the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington.