“Never been treated so badly at such a nice hotel.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Royal Garden Hotel
Ranked #96 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Never been treated so badly at such a nice hotel.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

This hotel was in a great setting, close to High Street Kensington station and overlooking Kensington Gardens, adjacent to Hyde park. It was a typical dreary, rainy London day when we checked in. We had just been traveling for the past 7 hours when we finally got to the hotel and checked in. The receptionist ( Gosnia) greeted us nicely enough but didn't even notice we were soaked to the bone OR that it was even raining out. (We mentioned we were tired and miserable, but glad to be there) It was a few minute before 2pm ( our actual check in time) but she said to have a seat and she would let housecleaning know that we needed priority so we could check-in. 45 MINUTES WENT BY! I went to the desk to politely ask when our room would be ready. I thought they might have forgotten about us but seeing how we had all of our bags with us in the lobby it was hard not to notice us! She checked again to see how long it would be but said housecleaning still did not clear a room for us. She offered my husband and I complimentary coffee which we accepted. 45 MINUTES LATER we still found ourselves sitting in the lobby! My husband (who has worked in the service industry for years) finally went to the desk to see what the issue was. The whole time we sat there we saw dozens of people checking in and being taken to their rooms. When he asked why we had to wait there a different receptionist ( Melissa) explained that it was friday and that they were busy!!! (This hotel has 390 rooms!) She finally conceded to the fact that we would not wait any longer and tossed a room key to us. No baggage porter was offered and we were left alone to drag our bags up to the 9th floor by ourselves. When we walked in, the first thing we noticed was that the AC was kicked on full blast. (London that day was in the 20's F.) The view was spectacular & the room was gorgeous but seeing it was so cold we turned up the heat and left to eat/see some sights. When we arrived back at the hotel later that evening the stench that came through the door was like a smack in the face! We found that the drain in the shower was the culprit and housekeeping had blasted the AC to cover the rancid smell. After much debating between ourselves we decided to close the bathroom door and open the window. It was already late and we couldn't afford to stay up waiting another hour or so for them "to open up a room"! (We had an early flight home the next day) Long story short, the room only got worse from there, the walls were paper thin and we heard quite a bit of commotion on all sides. In the morning the smell was so bad we decided to wake as early as possible to just get out!! Upon checking out we explained to Melissa and the other manager(?) that it was absolutely terrible. We then discovered that the room was directly below the chinese restaurant (which probably explained the smell) and right next to the laundry rooms (the noise). The manager just smiled and said "you should have told us and we could have moved you". Knowing that Melissa knew we had waited an hour and a half we explained that it wasn't an option to wait any longer for another room. We felt Melissa put us there in full knowledge of the terrible location and smell all because we had politely asked to not have to wait so long. With out so much as an offer to carry our bags out or offer a taxi to the airport they told us to come back and see them! I have never been so offended by a group of people in A SERVICE INDUSTRY! It was quite a pity b/c the hotel was beautiful and in a great location! I assumed we would get the 5 star treatment from a 5 star hotel but I was sorely disappointed. This was also our anniversary trip and If we hadn't prepaid for the room (months in advanced!) I would have happily gone to The Dorchester instead!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank scubade
RoyalGardenHotelUK, Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Thank you for your comments with regard to your recent stay with us at the hotel. Apologies you had problems on check in. We were particulary busy on that day and some other guests had different room types allocated so were able to check in when they arrived. If we are made aware of issues re smells in the room we would always look to move you and can only apologise again you had problems with this in your room. We did look to give assistance with your bags but understood this was not required.

We do take our service standards very seriously so can only once again apologise for the problems you encountered.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a 3 nights for a business and leisure. I like it a lot. Next time will stay there again:))

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel twice - in Dec/10 and Jan/11 for a total of five nights on business. I didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel, but I can't really report that I find it to be a 5 star hotel - 4 or at best a 4.5 stars- but in a great location and can offer very good value for central London at below 200 pound prices.

No issues with the front desk on check in or check out. Concierage helped me out once looking for a specific store and eagerly drew directions on a map which after walking around in the rain for 20 min turned out to be wrong - but he tried. A GPS enabled smartphone is the new concierage - except at data roaming prices not a cheap one.

I guess i was put in a Queen both times which i found very small and based on the website dimensions would be about 170 sq ft. The upgraded King and Garden are more closer to 275 sq ft which would be a typical North American basic entry level room Of course this is to be expected in Europe but don't be surprised if you choose the cheapest room looking for value in central London and then after walking in scratch your head wondering where you are going to put your large luggage (as I did). I was told I was put in the recently refurbished rooms but I didn't find them that impressive for a new renovation - nice and modern but not luxurious that you would expect to live up to 5 star standards. If this hotel was in a large American city it would be a 3.5 to 4 star as a Hyatt or Hilton.

Did not eat at the hotel. Lots of restaurant options in the immediate vicinity. I enjoyed walking over to Whole Foods which is 2 min away for a quick and inexpensive breakfast (well below 10 pounds).

Did not enjoy the large circular door at the front entrance which jammed frequently and is quite slow.
Sauna/steamroom adequate but small and a little tired, and used a few times - but did not enjoy having to walk outside and in a separate building.

Beds/bedding no issues and slept well. Both times faced the High Street but did not hear the traffic.

Biggest beef was on the 2nd visit i was put in a room where immediately above it sounded they were jackhammering the floor presumably to redo the tile in the bathroom, which was aggressively loud in the afternoon after checkin. After a day of travelling with flights and trains - believe me, you do not want to sit in your room to try and relax for a few minutes before an evening out, and have it felt like someone has a drill on your head. The front desk promised it would be over shortly, and then it kept going - and then after some back and forth admitted it would be awhile. So dont' tell me it will be over when you have no idea. I can understand it's difficult to run a hotel when you are doing a major refurbishment, but it really is unacceptable to place someone in a room immediately adjacent to aggressively loud activity - block off zones around the construction when it's expected to be loud at that stage. And fill in the front desk a litle more and encourage them not to give out information when they really have no clue.

Overall I would return to this hotel based on the value it offers for the location and getting a rate in the 180-200 range - but it falls a little short on overall room furnishings styling and overall facility for a full 5 star.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Beachman727
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

This hotel was part of a Theatre break. We stayed for 2 nights.
Our room was ready at 11am when we arrived. It was surprisingly large and well appointed with a separate sitting area. Plenty of storage space, desk with internet, mini bar etc. Large bathroom with full bath as well as a shower.
The hotel is in the process of refurbishment and there was some noise from this during the day, but did not impinge on our stay.
Staff are extremely friendly and helpful, especially at breakfast. Nothing too much trouble. Actually the breakfast overlooking Hyde Park was really good and included in our price. Not sure we would have paid the daily cost of £38 for 2 continentals though.
They actually still do an evening turndown service which was almost the same as the morning clean, nice touch.
The proximity to Kensington Palace, Hyde Park, and surrounded by lovely shops and restaurants make this an ideal base. If the price was right we would most certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

I stayed here as part of my honeymoon and I honestly couldn't compliment the hotel enough. We also stayed in other 4 & 5 star hotels during our honeymoon but this stood out as the best by far. The staff were always polite and very helpful and the rooms were extremely comfortable and very relaxing. From the moment you arrived at the hotel you felt like you were at a 5 star and that service continued for the whole stay.
The fire alarm went off one morning and thankfully it was a false alarm but the staff wasted no time in evacuating everyone and they even provided jackets for people incase you were cold outside. Your comfort was still what was most important to the hotel.
We ordered room service on one night and not only was it excellent value for money but it was delicious. Again, 5 star for service. taste and value for money.
Will definately stay there again and would have no problems recommending it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RoyalGardenHotelUK, Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
So pleased to hear you had a good stay with us on your honeymoon and glad the fire alarm didn't cause you too much inconvenience. Thank so so much for the recommendation and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

I think once you actually stay in a five star then you know when your not in one! So as they claim to be a 5 star Ill rate them as one!

The first thing is dont pay £300 quid a night here! Stay in a Premier Inn for a fraction of the price and have the extra £200 in you pocket so at least you dont feel ripped off for what you are getting!

I got a rate here so I said Id give it a go but even at my 'rate' I wasnt impressed and would be inclined to give it to my regular hotel in the area as opposed to coming back here but Id never pay the prices they seem to regularly charge as it isnt worth it!

I had a room on a Saturday night onto the High Street and I could hear every druken loudmouth pass well into the wee hours as well as every cop car/ambulance the wissed passed at full siren - even with their famous glazed windows! The bed was 2 single matresses with a double sheet over them. There was a slope to the middle of the bed and frankly uncomfortable. The pillows were the worst rubbish Ive seen in a long time - they just turned to mush and offered no support. The sheet was also torn on the second night.

To use the telly you need to spend 2 weeks on the hotels course on using it! Pointless, whats wrong with on and off and if you want channel 3 then you press channel 3.....! £23.50 for a Breakfast.........yes £23.50!

The other annoying thing is if your neighbours make any noise you tend to hear it, not good when your already having a rough time in your joined up bed and crappy pillows!

The wooden frames around the doors and the skirting boards in the halls are all chipped and worn, very shoddy!

If this was advertised as a 4 star and value for money Id say book it! As a five star and these prices then go elsewhere!

This Hotel struggles to get the basics right a comfortable bed and a quiet nights sleep! If I paid £300 for this I would have felt ripped off - if your looking for a 5 star experience then this isnt it!

Staff were generally friendly and the location is great in fairness.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank busman221
Thank you for your comments with regard to your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We have just completed a £45 million refurbishment and you may have stayed in one of the floors that were not yet refurbished at that time. All of our bedrooms have now been completely refurbished to a 5 star standard. All of our beds, bedding are all brand new and we have just completed the installation of a new TV system throughout the hotel.

With regard to your comments regarding noise we are in the city centre and we are unable to control this but we do always make a note to the local council of any disturbances that do occur outside the hotel.

Our breakfast charges are considered very good value in the 5 star market and do hope you found the quality of an excellent standard.

We do hope to be able to welcome you in the future to the Royal Garden Hotel.
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

We had booked this hotel with a package. Went to the hotel from Heathrow by tube with suitcases, which is only a good idea if they are half empty because you do have stairs at some stations! We went back by taxi, which was much better with a full suitcase of course.
Checkin was quick but because it was Saturday night the hotel was very full and we only got one rather quiet but very nice and big room, overlooking a side street, on the 8th floor. The other room was on the small side and looked out onto Kensington High Street and was thus quite loud. We were told we could probably change rooms on Sunday, but my family decided to stay in the inital room anyway.
Breakfast on Sunday was interesting: we were met at the entrance of the restaurant by a young lady who asked for our room numbers (!) and then led us to a table and she put menus by our side and wished us a nice breakfast, but without saying anything in addition. We then proceeded to help ourselves to the buffet and started eating. Then a waitress came and asked what kind of breakfast we were having because of payment and we answered that we think we are all having the same breakfast as it is included in our package. She checked and then sent over the head waitress and we were explained that only continental breakfast was included in our package and apparently we were not supposed to eat from the rest of the buffet (which is offered only on Sunday or the weekend, but not throughout the week!) for free...We explained that the lady at the entrance of the restaurant had not told us this! It is not such a big difference for the breakfast buffet (4.50 Pounds) but it was strange noone had bothered to tell us this! I am sure lots of people don't realize this and I believe people should be told upfront - why do they ask for the room number ? That was however the only small negative comment I have to make about our stay but it was explained to us in the end and the head waitress let us know that she would not charge us the two extra breakfast cost, which I thought was highly professional! All in all, personnel at the hotel is very friendly and professional; we got top service! We had a few questions about sights/tube etc. and once we were even allowed to look something up real quick on the internet in the business center!
If you can get a good rate for this hotel it is definetely worth it!

Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
RoyalGardenHotelUK, Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
Thank you for your recent comments with regard to your stay with us at the hotel. I can only apologise for the confusion at breakfast, this is not normally the case and would be pointed out what your package includes. This issue has been passed to the Manager of the restaurant. I do hope we can welcome you back to the Royal Garden Hotel in the future.