“Did not want to leave.. I will be returning to stay here when I do my Christmas shopping!”
Review of The Gore Hotel

The Gore Hotel
Ranked #245 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 22, 2010

My partner and I stayed at The Gore from 17th to 20th June. We arrived at midday and were able to check in and have a tour of the hotel, despite check in not being until 2pm. When we returned to the hotel later that evenng our cases were waiting in our room and we were presented with a complementary box of chocolates and chilled bottles of water. Our room and bathroom was cleaned/tidied each morning and evening, and bottles of water placed by our beds each night. Further drinks were available in the mini bar, by room service, or in the guest lounge where you may help yourself to hot and soft drinks and a selection of homemade cookies. Our room (315) contained a four poster bed, a sofa and a large desk with chairs. For a 'wonderful' room, at approx £170 at the time of booking, we found the room to be good value. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant as we had made alternative plans beforehand, but we did order room service breakfast which was delicious and a reasonable price. I had cereal, mixed fruit, blueberry waffles and tea, and my partener had a full english breakfast, with juice and a coffe and the price was £34 with service. We ventured the bar each night before going to dinner, and two nights after dinner. the bar, as with the rest of the hotel felt like a home from home and we were made to feel very welcome. The drinks menu is expansive, and the cocktails are delicious. Each night, the hotel staff hailed us a taxi, and were always ready and waiting to attend to any other requests. The hotel location was fantastic. The immediate area and road was fairly quiet, and we heard no traffic noise despite our room overlooking the main road. The undergroud is appropx 5mins walk away, as are a huddle of bars and restuarants. The hotel is in close distance to Harrods and Buckingham Palace.. In fact, the first night we walked all of the way back from The Ritz via the Palace in under an hour! (On a wam night, it is a walk I recommend). Despite having only left The Gore 48 hours ago, I have now booked to return in December for my birthday and to do my christmas shopping!

1 Thank jaimelouisep

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Indonesian first
London
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I booked a two night stay at the Gore, on the recommendation of reviews I read, the Gore website, and Mr and Mrs Smith website that I made the reservation through.

My partner and I were really looking forward to a decadent and spoiling weekend in London. The Gore we hoped would give us this. We had plans to be like tourists and take in the sites that we’d always thought we would, but have never had the time to do so. To then come back to a lovely hotel that would cater for all our needs. So with great excitement we arrived on a Friday night.

We had asked a bath as special request, and on check in we were told we had been lucky to be assigned one, because there was only one in the class of room we’d booked that had it. We were also told we were really lucky because our room had a balcony. We were really pleased.

We were lead by the perfectly dressed and ever so polite member of staff to our room. We were shown in with a flourish of pride, and garnished with information about eating and lounges and so on. The man almost bowed as he left.

We took stock. We looked around.

We were totally and utterly underwhelmed.

The room was tiny. The bed was meagre in size and the balcony, which we were so privileged to have, lay beyond two not double glazed doors with views onto the busy main road which you could hear before you could see (Queens Gate). Actually it wasn’t really a balcony. It was just a space the windows opened onto which the architect had clearly designed as a pretty adornment to be enjoyed from the front of the building. I went and stood on it. I was hoping for perhaps a chair to sit on out there. No. I was lucky if I could turn round.

We checked out the lucky to have bathroom. Things just got worse.

The bath was clearly a cheap affair and the whole bathroom just felt like it belonged in the tacky cheap fifty pound a night hotel’s I’ve had the misfortune of staying in while on business. My partner’s bathroom was far better than this one. Surely the point of staying in a hotel like this one, is you pay for something you don’t expect to get at home? Or if it is cheap – you expect cheap.

At 190+ pounds per night, I don’t not expect cheap. I expect to go wow! I don’t expect to look at the LCD TV and think – oh I saw that for sale in X supermarket the other day for eighty quid. Seriously are you having a laugh???

We looked for some tea to brew. Nope. My partner wanted to iron a dress – we looked for an iron. Nope. We fancied sitting down. No space just had to sit on the bed. We looked at the room service menu and then wondered where they would put the try. There was NO SPACE! Seriously – my little flat out Wembley way... my bedroom is bigger than the whole real-estate of space assigned to that Queen bedroom, bathroom AND so called balcony.

We sat on the bed and tried not to be disappointed; I because I had booked the place and it was woeful; her because I had booked the place and she didn’t want to seem ungrateful.

Some moments passed. We were both really down. Our weekend plans effectively ruined. We talked it through and checked out terms and conditions and made a decision. We decided we would leave tomorrow. We’d have to pay up for the 1 night as it was money down the drain otherwise. The second night hopefully we were cancelling that day, they wouldn’t charge us.

I ventured down stairs and recounted our issues to the check in lady. She seemed upset and disappointed and surprised at my comments. I did know that was the largest Queen room and that we were luck to get it because of the bath etc etc? Uh hu. I knew. I said we were going to leave tomorrow. She flustered around and said we would be charged for that 2nd night too – as it had been block booked to us. I queried this and back and forth it went as these things do.

To cut a long story short – we were given an upgrade to a better room which we had to pay for but were not charged for the second night we did not stay. And that new room was just about OK. The room was big enough to turn round in. It had a couple of tables and even a sofa! Had an OK bath too - acceptable? But we still had to leave by 11 the next day and it still effectively ruined our weekend plans. Oh and breakfast in room the next day… fifty five pounds. Ouch.

The total bill - for our one night, including breakfast and upgrade: 263.73 pounds. Yep that’s not a misprint. 263.73 pounds.

Seriously – next time I will stay in a Premier Inn. The bed will be bigger – the room bigger – the windows will be double glazes and the bathroom will be fine. There will be tea and coffee in the room and an iron. Oh and also the bathroom will have two sets of towels in. Not just the one the 2nd room had. By that time we were so demoralised by the whole place we didn’t have the energy to complain about that, so we used hand towels at some points. We also couldn’t face eating their so we dived out in the rain and got something from Waitrose down the road.

So… the moral of this story : if you’re going to pay through the nose to stay at this hotel – you would be well served by seriously lowering your expectations – especially if you opt for the queen room… which curiously enough… there are no pictures of in their website. I wonder why that might be. Could it be because they are SOOOOO small??

To me: Boutique in this case, clearly means getting away with small rooms (because they put antiques in them), and small beds (because they are antiques too), with tacky bathrooms, awful televisions and generally be over priced – (because foolish tourists and stray millionaires relish antiques?) I have travelled on business to many places in the world: Australia, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Argentina, Germany, Ecuador, KL, India, Pakistan, Saudi, Austria, Prague, Ireland and so on. Sadly… everywhere I had ever been I cannot think of a hotel as poor as the Gore, in terms of ‘bang for buck’ ratio of money to quality and experience.

We won’t be back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ablgoose
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Pros: room had lots amenities eg. Slippers, air con, DVD player. Cons: flies, little hot water in shower, dirty bathroom floor. Disappointing.

• Stayed June 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Stayed here a couple of nights ago as we had an event up the road, it was booked online as 2 luxury doubles. When we arrived we found we had one luxury double and the Lady Blessington room!! What a nice surprise that was, the room was really spacious, it had 3 windows so lots of light, lovely bathroom very clean. The tv didn't seem to work but I wasn't bothered by that. The staff are great here, the lady on reception was very helpful and the concierge cant do enough to help! We did have a drink at the bar and it is expensive (cocktails are £10)
Breakfast the next day was good, I ordered from the menu and it was lovely...bit pricey but as work was paying didn't mind:) Overall this is a lovely hotel, very ecletic, I loved the style and decor, great staff and rooms. I would have liked tea/coffee facilities in the room and some more toiletries for the price of the rooms and the drinks are a bit pricey....but then this is London and most hotel bars are expensive!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
San Anselmo, California
Reviewed June 10, 2010

We found ourselves in London to attend the Ray Davies and Paul Weller shows both taking place the same week at Albert Hall. The Gore Hotel was a perfect spot to hang our hats. The ambience is that of a period piece with many indulgent touches and nicely modern upgrades. Our room on the 4th floor had a very comfortable bed with plush linens. The bathroom had a lovely soaking tub and upscale toiletries, yet the toilet still had the pull chain. It had a nice sitting area with leather loveseat, flatscreen tv and writing desk.

We fell in love with Bar 190. A perfect spot after the gigs at Albert Hall with a lively group and really great mix tapes playing. And it didn't hurt to have the Rolling Stones staring at us from the walls. The Beggars Banquet portraits of the famous food fight that took place at The Gore are all around you. The last night was considerably quieter and staff member Joseph gave us a nice tutorial in single malts. We left with lovely glow in hearts for The Gore and its staff which were wonderfully accomodating throughout our stay.

If you want a very British hotel with modern comforts but surrounded by history, The Gore may be for you. Easy walk to the parks, the V&A, Harrods and much more. I think I found my new home away from home in London. Perfect stay.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shreddie
Four Elms, Kent
Reviewed June 9, 2010

The Gore is a gem. The de luxe rooms are well worth paying extra for. The Nelly Melba room is wonderful. A great marble bathroom with Grecian statues and a two-person bath, very sexy prints on the walls, and the most comfortable bed you could hope for enclosed in a large niche. The style is definitely elegant decadence. Room service breakfast was superb. The dining area downstairs is a disapppointment. Rather cramped and not very comfortable - not in the style of the rest of the hotel. There is also a lively bar. Despite the slight drawbacks this our favourite London retreat. And it is no more than 3 minutes from the Albert Hall. Perfect.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fourelmsman
Boston
Reviewed June 4, 2010

This is an amazingly beautiful Victorian spot that has some great public spaces to explore and hang in. The staff of the Gore was exemplary, from the concierge to the night staff to the cleaning services to the elegant restaurant to the fun folks in the bar (By the way, for Rolling Stones fans, this is the bar where a famous food fight featured in Beggar's Banquet photos took place). Everyone was unfailingly helpful. It certainly made the broken elevator easier to take!

I have been staying at the Gore off and on since 2002, and while I have always loved it, I think it really has just gotten better over the years.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business