“great location, but slightly disappoints”

The Gore – Starhotels Collezione
Ranked #237 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 13, 2010

We stayed at The Gore in April 2010. On the plus side is the location. Its next to the Albert Hall, the V&A, Hyde Park, a short distance from Harrods, the Tube and of course some great bars and restaurants in Kensington. The hotel is ok, a good bar area (and very lively) and the room almost suggested a traditional English/London elegance without actually delivering. The fittings in the room were a bit old, the toilet antiquated; the guest lounge area was not used at all and was some distance from the bar. Retiring to the lounge with a glass of port and some good company did not happen! We thought it expensive for what it was.... but hey, the location - as good as it gets in London!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 8, 2010

A city version of the country house hotel. The Gore is a delight and the staff are friendly, curteous and attentive. The food was excellent and the English breakfast was the best I have ever had in England. It's not cheap but it is value for money and as near as a home from home as you can get in London.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Staff is very friendly, my kids had a great stay (5 and 7 years). Food is also very good.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I didn't stay at the hotel, as I live in London, but we organized a function there and I can only recommend it! It is not cheap but the setting is classy, staff are very helpful and if you are looking for a place to impress your guests in London as well as having good time, this is the one for you.
Michael

Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2010

We recently had a last minute request from one of our clients to find a number of bedrooms in Central at a "nice" hotel.. After trying a number of mainstream properties we came across The Gore and so glad we did! Fantastic booking procedure, with excellent customer services - the hotel couldn't be more accommodating.

I personally didn't have the privilege to stay, however one of my clients came back to me to say “The Gore is a spectacular nice hotel! Overwhelming as a matter of fact. The food is 4 stars, the library with tea, coffee and soft drinks all day is amazing, and everything is very well done.”

A huge thanks to all the The Gore for making their stay so comfortable, and we'll certainly be booking more bedrooms in the future.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2010

Stayed here Tuesday night (13/04/10) at very short notice as on a whim decided to go to Murano restaurant and needed somewhere to stay in town. (If you are interested check out my review of the tasting menu)
Checked out Travel supermarket and this hotel ticked my boxes with regard to quality, rating and price etc. Checked out Trip advisor and it seemed to be good. Got a fair deal I think, paid bit less than the hotel website, but it included breakfast so that was good.

On arrival greeted by very friendly staff and shown around. The hotel lobby is small but very stylish and it feels like you are in a private house. (useless fact: was the Turkish Embassy until 1960 when it was transformed into the Gore. Apparently the hotel is used frequently for TV dramas, the rooms are stunning and attention to detail/period features is obvious)
We were a little early for our room but were seated in the lounge which is beautifully decorated. The drinks here are complimentary all day – nice touch, although we were slightly disappointed their Nespresso machine was out of order…:( We were then taken to our room which was at the top of the hotel on floor 5. The lift only goes to 4 so it was would be a bit awkward if you have lots of luggage with winding stairs as you have to walk the rest of the way. No problem, but maybe if you have issues with climbing stairs.

Our room was very sweet, but quite pokey, as was in the eaves. It had a four poster bed which was only a double and seemed very small. Not a lot of space either side of the bed and not much room to store anything, there was a very small desk with a mirror over it, and few pugs, it was cramped when the two of us were trying to get ready to go out. The room was also quite dark despite having windows on either side and quiet hot especially during the night. Marble bathroom was lovely, especially the raised throne like toilet that my boyf found most hilarious..!(?)

Couple of issues, nothing major: the main mirror in the bathroom was over the toilet which is odd, with a small shaving mirror over the sink, so not great for applying makeup when I was trying to get out of the way. Also the shower over the bath was quite powerful and as usual the shower screen was next to useless so water everywhere. Anyway nothing serious to moan about. (Ooo lovely complimentary chocolates that evening.)

We had one rather expensive drink (about usual for London) in the bar whilst waiting for our cab that evening. The bar looked pleasant enough but we were only in and out.

Didn’t have a great night’s sleep, bed was soft and we did feel squashed together, it was very hot too despite having both windows wide open and unfortunately the premises across the street from out room was being renovated and the building work started at 7.30am. No fault of the hotel, but we had to have fresh air and the work was very noisy. Breakfast was delicious and the room again like stepping back in time.
No free wifi, but there was a computer with free internet and printer on floor 3.

To sum up, lovely period hotel, beautifully decorated and maintained, good service and friendly efficient staff. Would definitely go back, but would request a lower floor. Maybe the internet bookers get the smaller rooms?

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2010

I love The Gore once I'm settled in! When I arrive, I'm usually jet-lagged and a bit tired from the walk from the South Kensington Tube. The greeting is helpful but not as solicitous as I would like. Upon signing in, there is a sense of adventure as in where is my room this time - up which staircase, down which corridor?! Even with the tiny elevator, there is a bit of a walk down a hallway, as if you might have to leave a breadcrumb trail.

Once in the room, it's a big sigh of relief as if I'm never going to leave it: comfy bed, feather pillows, big bathroom with big tub & fluffy bathrobes, antique desk, small leather couch. The TV is small but nice - unobtrusive. There's an umbrella in the closet, a small mini-bar with essentials. This last visit, I had big windows overlooking Queensgate in Room 213. Couldn't have been happier.

So what would I change? Well, the carpet for one - around the door, it just looks as if it'll never come truly clean. The hallway carpet is a tired emerald green. An airing out of the room b4 my arrival for another - I ended up using the nice little lavender spray and then opening the window for a bit once the weather cleared. And a pick-up or call-back from Room Service that first night would have been lovely. (Note - I would have put these comments in the guest survey but there is no room for comments.)

That said, I highly recommend The Gore if you like small hotels (which I do) in a great location with reasonable rates (relative to London). It's old without feeling ancient and quite comfy once you're settled. It's in a nice neighborhood and close to Kensington park as well as the South Kensington Tube Station and the museums (Natural History, V&A). Trevor, the Concierge, is super helpful - probably the hardest working person there. Seek him out for tickets & advice.

The restaurant is good for both breakfast and dinner. The staff could be a bit more solicitous & timely but the food and setting are lovely. I haven't ventured into the bar (yet).

Also, they have wireless (for a fee). I just use the free computer/printer on the 2nd floor landing to do online check-in and make sure my email inbox isn't too crazy.

Check their web site for special rates. I always seem to be there on a weekend so have done well using their site directly. I also check Dukes and The Stafford (in St James Park area) but The Gore is much less expensive. Once I'm settled in, I'm happy.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo