“Over priced and a little under hand” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gore Hotel

The Gore Hotel
Ranked #234 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Hurst Green, Lancashire
“Over priced and a little under hand”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed a night at Gore. Nice hotel and nice room BUT.

1. Price on net was shown ex VAT whereas others inclusive
2. An outrageous £20 for 24 hours wifi
3. Breakfast nice but an additional cost to an overpriced room
4. Gratuities added to the bill but only told so when asked what they were. One was for breakfast when all I received was my Bacon and Eggs
5. A tired old small TV and no tea making facilities in the room.

All in all the cost was no cheaper than the Kensington Hotel down the same street and that was very very much better for the same price.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Chris G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Frederick, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and located about 10-15 minutes from the train station. For 200 pounds a night, I was surprised that the room came with nothing extra. Internet is 20 pounds a night. Breakfast is another 14-17 pounds. I thought the hotel was beautiful and the rooms were nice but I was disappointed overall. There are plenty of very nice hotels in London that include internet and breakfast. I'd stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Andy B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was received as warmly as possible! Paulo showed me the room and was restless to attend my needs, including making sure I knew all my steps back to the airport. The rooms are a special treat in experiencing the English way. A great choice for a traditional central stay.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Joana_b_pinto
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My reason for staying at the Gore this time around was because I was participating in the London-Surrey 100 bike ride. The reason I chose the Gore was because of its location, close to the event finish, the fact that I had enjoyed my stay there before and because I knew that the hotel's service was excellent which, given that my bicycle also had to stay with me, was an important factor.

In the event, the staff surpassed my expectations of helpfulness and friendliness. They were both interested in what I was doing and extremely helpful. Particular praise should go to the concierge staff who decided that the best place to store my bike was in the concierge cupboard. They also arranged for my bike to be brought out for me for 5am on the Sunday morning so that I was ready to go first thing. Your early morning staff were also very helpful in finding me some hot water so that I could eat my pre-event meal of porridge. All of this was massively helpful in calming my pre-event nerves ensuring that I had a calm start to my long day in the saddle. After I returned from my ride, the staff were again extremely helpful and very interested in my progress which was really lovely.

Beyond that, the room was immaculate, really comfortable and luxurious and the food in your hotel restaurant was lovely. I do have a slight complaint about the cost of the lunch myself and my wife had in the bar which was expensive even by London standards but, other than that, I loved my stay and would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yellowcam
Deal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were told prior to visit that the lift wasnt working. Room very comfortable and a lovely bed. staff were very helpfull and attentive. It is so nerar to the Albert Hall only a 4 minute slow walk.Lovely Hotel will use again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bungleboy1954
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Lovely hotel, very pleasant staff. Lift was out of order so had to walk up 4 flights of stairs. It would have been good to know this prior to arriving but i was upgraded and not charged for Wifi due to this inconvenice. Breakfast was nice and good value. Only thing i'd say paying for hotel room wouldn't have been expected to pay £20 for WIFI connection very steep and unnessary.

Room Tip: make sure the lift is working
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Emmastavrinides
Deal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The overnight stay was part of a proms gift to my parents. Their room was immaculate,spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed. The staff were friendly and attentive, really welcoming and their room was made available to them upon arrival even though they were 3 hours early. All beverages and food were first class and thoroughly enjoyed. It is the perfect place to stay if you are planning a trip to the Albert hall. My parents could not have enjoyed their stay at this lovely hotel any more and i know that they will be booking it up again in the very near future

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple