“Incredible and beautiful hotel, impeccable services and amenities, great location and superior comfort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Milestone Hotel

The Milestone Hotel
Ranked #2 of 1,087 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

The Milestone Hotel is simply incredible. From the day we contacted Doris to book an apartment almost a year prior to our sta, thru correspondence back and forth with her to select our apartment, thru the impeccable services that Jim, Neil, Patrick and others provided during our stay, this is one of the finest hotels we have every stayed in, period. The concierge and front desk team were right on with all of their recommendations about tourist sites, restaurants, travel and logistics and other things throughout our stay. Although the individual rooms are also beautiful and comfortable, if you are traveling with two couples or a small family, we would strongly recommend that you consider renting one of the 2 bedroom apartments which are part of the hotel, which usually include private individual bathrooms for each bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen, laundry room and also receive the same services and access to amenities as the rest of the hotel. Renting an apartment made us feel very relaxed and at home and allowed us to not have to go out of our rooms to do breakfast and other things. In summary, you cannot go wrong with selecting the Milestone Hotel. It is in a convenient location across from Kensington Park at the Kensington Palace end; to mass transit including bus stop and the High Street Kensington underground stop; to restaurants; to food shops like Whole Foods; to the Royal Albert Hall; to museums and other key areas of interest. The level of service by all staff is second to none and we will stay there again anytime we visit London in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bryn Mawr, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

If you want service -- I mean REAL service -- stay at this hotel. We've stayed there twice in three months. It is simply the best hotel in London and on the world's top ten of hotels in the world. We've stayed at many hotels around the world: they could all learn something from The Milestone -- and these hotels I'm talking about include Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, Raffles and other high end chains. Not much more I can say. Try it.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

We stayed here for two nights to do some shopping in Knightsbridge. The service is second to none. From the concierges who take your luggage to your room and park the car to the restaurant / bar staff who will provide anything you could want, this is a place of outstanding, friendly service. The rooms are exactly as they should be, clean, comfortable,quiet etc. This was our third stay here and we would not consider staying at any other London hotel.
The situation is perfect for the Albert Hall, Kensington Palace is opposite, the V&A is a short walk away as is the Science Museum, Harrods , Harvey Nicholls etc.
Wonderful, relaxing place.

Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

The Milestone Hotel is an experience if one is seeking that home welcoming atmosphere
as well as the best service and accommodations.
The rooms are very unique,elegantly arranged and spotless.
If you appreciate art as I do, you can tour the floors and admire the timeless art work
and antique arrangements.
The afternoon tea service is a must experience that will transport you back
to the Era of Elegance and the Golden Age of beauty and refinement.
I enjoyed every aspect of The Milestone Hotel and recommend that you
experience the atmosphere for yourself.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Ventura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

We just returned from the most amazing hotel we have ever stayed in and we have been at many...We decided to spend a week post cruise ( Aug 23-28 2010) in London at the Milestone Hotel and we couldn't have chosen a more perfect ending to a trip of a life time celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary..From the moment we arrived we were overwhelmed by the beautiful exterior and interior of this hotel..The entire hotel staff was so warm and welcoming and definitely set the tone for our entire five night stay..Nothing escaped their eye for detail..From the tour of the hotel and introduction to all the staff to the cocktails and sweets as we entered our room..We loved the location,size and view from of our deluxe king room #504..After returning that first evening from a bit of exploring around the beautiful area of Kensington Court, we were totally unprepared for what greated us upon entering our room..It had been transformed into a vision of romance...Red rose petals and candles everywhere including the beautifuly appointed bathroom..Within minutes a knock on our door and two staff members were delivering Champagne..This personal and thoughtful touch left us speachless !!! Our trip to London and the Milestone may have been our first, but it won't be our last.. We are already looking forward to our next visit...

Thank you so much to everyone at the Milestone...
Bob & Cheryl Brawders

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
St Austell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

We would like to thank all the staff at the Milestone Hotel. They made our trip one to remember. The food was some of the best that i've had and it was always served to us with a smile. Our room was cleaned to perfection with the outstanding views over Kensington Park. I would like to say a special thank you to the front of house team who were so helpful and gave me so much information for this beautiful city. I am looking forward to my next visit already!

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

First, it is obvious that many travelers automatically give this a 5 star rating...some sort of group-think behavior must be at work here. This is not a service to one's fellow travelers; rather, it provides no real information. I don't appreciate these kinds of rah rah rah reviews that just rave about a hotel, yet provide no balanced information. Perhaps the people are not experienced travelers; some might call them gullible. So, here I will present an accurate review without the fluff!

This is a small, boutique hotel located in the Kensington South area of London. It is well located with easy access to London sites. However, it provides very small rooms for an inflated price. For example, our "Deluxe Studio" was so cramped we kept tripping over our suitcases, received only a queen-sized bed, and had no table in the room that was large enough for the two of us to dine at.

There were several maintanance issues that were complained about several times but never were they fixed. The toilet dripped noisily at night, but was not repaired during out stay even after several complaints. The air conditioner was very noisy, and worse, even though set at the automatic setting, it would never shut off unless turned off completedly! Again, we complained several times, were told it was fixed but it was not ever done. What is the matter with the maintanance staff at this place? Do they even have one? I never saw a maintenance worker, but perhaps they are there but don't know how to do their job. Or perhaps the front desk is not relaying the issues correctly. I don't know, but it is very, very annoying.

In addition to being very small, the rooms tend to transmit a great deal of noise from other guests and staff in both the side rooms and the rooms above in the next floor up. The walls and the floor must be very thin, or very old. It sounded like a large buffalo was running around in the room above ours. This made it difficult on several occasions to sleep.

Staff did provide overall excellent and friendly service. A few staff members were a bit too overwhelming and seemed intrusive... and need to know when to stand down. Too much is too much. However, there are some top notch professionals here as well, and they make it difficult to give an overall rating to service....but I would call it one of the positives of this hotel overall.

(Patrick and both of the Neils at the conceige desk, and Fritz the assistant manager are clearly first rate hoteliers. Donny the bartender is possibly one of the best in London. These core staff members are so good and work so hard that they possibly help to explain the skew of reviews to the 4 and 5 star ratings, in spite of the obvious problems with this hotel.)

The hotel tried to charge us $210 dollars US for an 800 number call to fix my cell phone. Also, local calls were nearly $1.50 PER MINUTE. Is this crazy or what? They did finally remove the charge for the 800 number call, but not without some haggling.

To add to the rip-off up charges, the Milestone charged us $135 US for doing one small load of laundry. This was done on a rush basis for us, and so an up charge was to be expected, but $135 for one small load??? You have got to be kidding me! Come on, that's insane!

And, it is WAY overpriced for the room itself....our small room was an average of 385 pounds per night BEFORE tax, which makes it around $570 per night in US dollars. Including tax you are looking at around $660 US dollars per night. This is ridiculous, especially considering the actual value received, the small room with the noise, and maintenance issues. I don't know about you, but to us $660 per night is a lot of money! Larger rooms can cost more than a $1000 us per night. This takes it to the absurd, and if you really want to part with that much money, I think you can do better than the Milestone. Shorter stays of a few days are not as painful of course, but still our overall bill was around $4300 for 6 nights, making it just a tad over $700 per night including a few room service orders, phone calls, laundry and tax. As the old saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted". I just don't understand why anyone would pay this kind of money, and still be happy, considering the negatives.

While it is a quaint old hotel with good, friendly service, the value is overall poor. It might be a good value if the rates were half what are being charged, but that is not the case. This is not in my opinion a 5 star hotel. Do your homework before you book; don't skim a few Trip Advisor ra ra ra reviews and assume they are indicative of what you will experience. Take careful note of the reviews which are more average in their rating, and written by more experienced travelers.

Considering the extremely high cost, the value is just not there. So, spite of those few excellent staff members who provide great service, the negatives of the maintenance issues, the cost, the small room sizes, and the noise make it difficult for me to honestly recommend this hotel. Sorry to those who see things otherwise, but the issues mentioned are very real, and no amount of Trip Advisor high ratings will change that. Still, we did have an overall good time, enjoyed ourselves during our stay in London, and had some good experiences at the hotel.

Therefore, I am giving the Milestone the rating I believe is accurate and reflective of the actual value provided; 3 stars, or average. I am quite tempted frankly to give it only 2 stars given the very poor value and lack of attention to maintenance, but for some reason can't bring myself to do it, even though it probably deserves it. (Perhaps I'm not entirely immune to the group-think issue myself!) Call it a 3 minus, if you will.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank traderDenver
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2010
Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you for your feedback, which is genuinely important to us in evaluating the service and facilities of our hotel. I would very much like to have the opportunity to speak to you in person regarding your experience and will endeavour to get in contact at the earliest opportunity.
I do feel it is pertinent that I respond on the issues you highlighted as our commitment to listening and reacting to the feedback of our guests are an integral part of our service philosophy.
With regards to the maintenance issues you experienced in your room, I can confirm that our Duty Manager did indeed go to your room in the evening after the reported dripping noise. I understand that she adjusted the water stopper and that this cured the dripping issue at the time. I am very sorry if the problem re occurred and if you felt our response to this issue was not as urgent as expected. Currently, I have not been able to track down when and to whom the air-conditioning noise issue was reported, and would welcome more details when I get in touch with you. The air conditioning system do emit noise, however this should most certainly not be disturbing in any way and I will have our Engineering Team do a thorough check of the room you stayed in. The system regulates itself through an internal temperature control and will go on and off to reach the required temperature level, you are indeed correct that the only way to stop it working is to turn it off completely. The air-conditioning system is newly installed, only around 10 months ago, and other than your comment we have not had any negative feedback. Nevertheless, systems can and do play up sometimes and we will most certainly do a thorough inspection of the unit in your room. Our hotel does feature original wood floor boards, being a grade 2 listed building this may cause some noise but we do have very thick carpeting in the rooms and corridors to compensate as well as wall fabric in the bedrooms. I do however take your comments on board and we will most certainly reassess noise levels.
In terms of our room rate, I can assure you that our rates are very much in tandem with other 5 star hotels in the area. Your room category, a Deluxe Studio, is a mid range room category and priced as such. In the same vein our laundry and telephone charges are very much the same as you will find in most 5 star hotels. The reason you were charged automatically by our telephone system for the 800 number is that you dialled 001 as a prefix, which the system recognised as an international call. I am pleased that we waived the entire charge for you at our reception desk when you informed us. The laundry charge did include a 50% supplement as we had to send this express service to get it back to you quick enough, on short notice.
I am thankful for your kind comments about our service and remember our conversation the night prior to your departure; I hope you enjoyed my restaurant recommendation! I will most certainly convey your comments to our staff members. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall and genuinely hope to see you return to the hotel. As promised I will be in touch with you personally at the earliest opportunity.

Yours faithfully