“Amazing charming stay”

The Milestone Hotel and Residences
Ranked #3 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 18, 2013

If there was a ten in the survey I would give the staff. Olivier the server, steve the doorman or Pablo the staff that showed us around. Just the best. We really enjoyed our stay. It was terrific. They remembered us by name asked about our day and were super friendly and helpful. Not just these three but the rest of the staff as well. These were just the cherry on top. Definitely will be back

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank Smlmt
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

I was absolutely delighted to read your feedback following your recent stay with us at The Milestone Hotel. I have already passed on your kind words to the team members mentioned and the rest of the team. I do hope that you will join us again soon.
My best wishes,

Reviewed December 17, 2013

If you want to feel special and pampered at one of the best hotels in the world then you have found the one! My amazing boyfriend decided to spoil me for my birthday recently and took me to this wonderful hotel as a surprise. I honestly didn't know where I was going until I arrived!
What a fantastic surprise it was! From the doorman who assisted us out the taxi to the lovely welcome from the concierge. The special cocktails in the very traditional bar and amazing bar snack selection kept my star rating climbing but what topped off my entire experience was the incredible food and superb service in Cheneston's restaurant.
As they knew I was celebrating my birthday, they had reserved us a table in a beautiful private area with the sounds of the piano drifting through.
A special tasting menu was prepared and I can honestly say that it was a culinary experience to remember. From foie gras and truffles to the incredible 'chocolate crumble' dessert, every course was flawless.
The service we received was fabulous as well with an elegant air to the evening. Thank you Florent for everything and of course the recommendation of the Hannibal was spot on!
I even had the pleasure of meeting the incredible chefs responsible for my dinner and wish to thank them again for a wonderful evening.
The attention to detail at this incredible hotel will make you feel like royalty! Can't wait to go back.

3  Thank KWinspects
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

I was thrilled to read you review following your birthday dinner at The Milestone Hotel. I was so glad to read that you had a great time and that you enjoyed the whole "Milestone" experience. I have passed on you very kind words to Florent and his team plus the Head Chef and his team. Please do come and dine with us again soon.
My kindest regards,

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We dined at the Cheneston's (Kensington in old English as we learnt from the intro to the restaurant printed on the menu) gastronomic restaurant. The excellence of the service is remarkable as is the attention to detail in the surroundings as well as the food and drinks. The food was fabulous and the atmosphere even though luxurious is so cosy it is heart warming. We were overall enchanted!

4  Thank HebaKDubert

I was delighted to read about your dining experience at The Milestone Hotel. I was really happy to read that you enjoyed your meal and the surroundings. We look forward to your next visit. I have passed on your kind words to the Food & Beverage team.
Kind regards,

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I was attracted to staying at this hotel. It's location and its fantastic rating on Trip Advisor clinched the decision.
Fresh from staying at the Mandarin Oriental in Paris, it seemed the perfect choice, living up to its high status on Trip Advisor. The hotel was extensively renovated and modernized internally after a severe fire caused extensive damage more than 10 years ago. The service staff from the receptionist to the doormen to the concierge were fabulous.
Rooms were small but given much thought in their layout to maximize functionality. Bathrooms were spacious but a little cold and the shower layout could have been better as the spray volume from the fixed overhead shower was inadequate to keep a person warm while showering. Bathroom heating, or better still, underfloor heating would have been great.
Still, this would not have detracted from the stay if not for an unpleasant encounter on check out.
My wife and I had our only in house breakfast on our last day. A la carte was not available so I decided on the full English breakfast for myself. My wife had a coffee and shared my cooked breakfast of eggs and bacon. She did not help herself to the continental buffet, which was clearly obvious to the waiter. On check out I was presented a breakfast bill of 26 pounds for my breakfast and 18 pounds for continental breakfast for my wife. When I questioned the bill the receptionist passed the matter to the floor manager, who instead of apologizing for the mistake, questioned me on how many persons were at breakfast. I could sense a certain disbelief but he directed the receptionist to correct the bill. No apology was given.
I am not used to having my credubility questioned, certainly not over a breakfast bill at the top rated hotel on Trip Advisor. This matter smeared what would otherwise have been a wonderful experience in London. I will not be staying at this hotel anymore and trust that they will take steps to prevent this mistake from being inflicted on future guests of theirs.

10  Thank LiangTS

Thank you so much for your kind feedback which is genuinely appreciated as we use this to review what improvements we can make to our product and service. I am delighted to note that you felt that you were looked after by our team in general very well and this is absolutely central to our service ethos.
I have noted that you found our bathroom cold and the shower pressure could have been stronger. We will of course take this on board as we take the opportunity to refurbish our rooms.
Whilst we do not have under floor heating in the bathrooms, we tend to find that the bedroom Air Conditioning units do help provide some background heat. We have noted this though and I'm sure that we could find a room that would work better for your needs here.
I am most concerned about your experience ar departure . We provide as standard a full A la Carte breakfast choice which is supplemented by our breakfast buffet and this most definitely should have been available to you both. Please accept my sincere apologies that we slipped up with your bill initially and whilst I understand we corrected our mistake we most certainly should have apologized immediately. Please rest assured that this has been followed up with my team and I would like to send you a separate private email to reinforce this. I very much hope that I can persuade you to consider trying us once more.
Kind regards

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Me and my boyfriend came to London to visit some friends from Brighton, we did not intend to stay, after lunch we decided to go get a hotel and stay a night,
we randomly ended up in knightsbridge after driving around a bit and parked the car and walked into the nearest hotel which was the Milestone, upon arrival our bags were taken and the door was opened for us.

we asked for a room and as we had not booked we had to wait for a room to be made for us. during this time we were escorted into the most amazing bar, it was very cosy and had an equestrian theme! we were given nibbles and a glass of champagne on the house, (the best champagne I've ever had) our bags were taken to our room and then we went up.

The room was lovely! the deco was so homely, it was extremely clean!
we decided to have dinner at the restaurant downstairs, the food was absolutely fabulous ! and it was well priced. the atmosphere was very romantic and i had a lovely time !!
this is one of my favourite hotels of all time !!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Geopett

I was so glad to read that you found The Milestone Hotel by chance and most importantly you had a memorable stay. I have passed on your kind words to my great team and please do come again to stay when I am sure once again we will meet your expecations.
My best regards,

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Perfect, perfect rooms, entrance hall, the staff are so friendly yet not overbearing, upon a random arrival- we hadn't even booked we just drove up to the entrance we relieved of our bags and before you know it drinking a couple of glasses of Guy Cadel champagne - one of the best tasting house bottles I've had ! Had a great dinner also , would love to come back and visit !

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RoscoFaulkes

I was so glad that you enjoyed your recent unexpected stay at The Milestone Hotel. I was glad that you found us and that you managed to try all of the facilities we offer. I was also happy to read that you enjoyed our house Champagne. Please do come and stay with us again soon.
Kind reagrds,

Reviewed December 15, 2013

This was my fourth visit to the Milestone in 15 years. I wish I could visit several times a year, but I am not called to London often enough and my bank book cannot support my penchant for this sort of luxury. My most recent stay was in mid-November, and I admit I left feeling that I could live here. Not just in London, although that appeals, too, but no: I could easily live in the elegant cocoon of the Milestone where my every want and need are anticipated and filled.

From the moment you pull up in front of the hotel, you feel welcome. The staff are friendly but quietly understated. After the butler shows you to the room, tea is offered. How very civilized on a chilly London day!

Part of the Milestone's considerable charm is that it is just quirky enough to be authentic, and it is very English. A cocktail in the Stables bar includes a plate of finger food—sandwiches, cheese sticks, olives, crackers—that comes without your bidding. Whatever is done here is done with style and panache. I took breakfast regularly at Cheneston's, where wait staff make sure everything is to your liking. While London life begins to unfolds just outside your window, you can flip through the London Times that was delivered to your room before you woke. What better send-off into a gnarly business day than a Milestone breakfast!

The hotel is conveniently located in Kensington near the Royal Albert Hall and just across from Kensington Gardens, where you can pop in for a few laps through Hyde Park. The park’s attraction is not to be minimized; during my stay, the leaves had turned and shimmered in the November sunlight, turning the view from the Milestone into the perfect pastoral portrait, albeit in the heart of the city.

Whatever your expectations of five-star accommodations, the Milestone will exceed them. Even one night there will impress, but my recommendation comes with the warning that you may not want to leave. Make sure you can afford to stay a bit longer.

Room Tip: There is no bad room here, but I would ask for one that overlooks the street for the maximum London...