WINNER WONDERLAND

The Milestone Hotel
Ranked #2 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Amman, Jordan
“Good service but cramped surroundings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel only once and it shall remain that way. The service is excellent, the staff hugely courteous, and the potential for elegance undisputed (despite one elderly man wearing an "Aman Junkie" t-shirt for dinner). The beds and pillows are superb. However, the hotel is horribly cramped, the bedrooms minuscule with inadequate wardrobe space, and the overall atmosphere is that of a dolls-house. The dining room is the worst example of the cramped feeling, with tables inadequately spaced, and the prices are higher than the Ritz or the Goring. The dining atmosphere was made unbearable by an electronic piano being played in a confined space which was deafening. The service was slow, indeed incredibly slow, and the Head Waiter tended to the arrogant. The food was good, indeed at times very good, but not exceptional (though I know of no other hotel today where wild smoked salmon is carved at the table and the £21 price tag for this first course is not so exorbitant given the generous quantities offered and the quality of the product). On the other hand, the lack of space makes any experience of this hotel claustrophobic. The location is too far West which means it is a useless if a trip to London involving any City business. Though outwardly elegant, place lacks the class of The Goring or The Ritz.

Room Tip: Unless you are a midget, you must have a studio room or a suite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank JHMH1959
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your constructive feedback following your stay with us at the Milestone.
I am delighted to note that you enjoyed our service and found our beds and bedding superb as these are clearly two very important factors when selecting a hotel.
I'm very sorry to read that you found the hotel overall felt cramped to you and also note that you found this to be the case with both your room and the restaurant in particular.
We are a 62 room property which was originally three private houses and we have worked hard to retain the original feeling and cosiness of the property whilst ensuring that we provide every luxury and thoughtful extra that we believe that our guests will enjoy. Each and every one of our rooms is individually decorated and the lay-out and wardrobe space of each room may vary in some cases but we will always try to find the most comfortable room according to each guest's needs and preferences.
We regularly price-check comparative hotels to ensure that we are charging a fair price for the quality of ingredients and food that we provide so again I'm sorry to learn that you found us to be expensive. I am pleased though that you enjoyed our Duo of Irish and Scottish Smoked Salmon which I have to say is very popular.
Please accept my apologies that you found our service to be slow. Whilst we don't like to rush restaurant guests we should always try and gauge the right pace according to each guest.
We go to great lengths to ensure that we employ first and foremost people with great passion, friendliness and warmth and I'm surprised and disappinted to note that you found a member of my team anything less than this.Please rest assured that we make a point of using any such constructive feedback in the most appropriate way.
With regard to our location, we would never suggest that we were an obvious choice for easy access to the City but we do find that many people enjoy our location directly opposite Kensington Palace and the largest green space in London.
Kind regards
Andrew Pike, General Manager, Milestone Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here over the Thanksgioving weekend in 2011 and enjoyd every aspect of the experience. The bar downstairs is a particular highlight for pre and post dinner drinks with a great bar staff and plenty of interesting nooks and cranies to hang out in. Great location for most London based activities without being in the mist of the downtown bustle. We will return the next time I visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Many thanks for your kind words. I was so glad that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving stay with us. I was also pleased that you found our great "Stables" bar to your liking. As you mentioned the location of the hotel is perfect;y set away from the hustle and bustle of London but it is still only a stones throw away from it. I do hope that you will come and stay with us again in the near future.
My kindest regards,
Prince George, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I and a friend stayed for 10 days in a two bedroom apartment at The Milestone in November/December. We enjoy the 'good things in life', but this far surpassed that.
From the wonderful driver who picked us up at the airport, the several pleasant and friendly doormen, the happy and cheerful concierges, to Fran, the butler, who gave new meaning to the well deserved word 'awesome', an overused word which I would normally try to avoid at all costs - they made our stay a memorable one which probably won't be repeated again soon.

The apartment was resplendent with beautiful furniture, opulent draperies and bedding, beautiful bath amenities, well appointed kitchen - well, I could go on and on.
Coming home in the evenings after a full day of enjoying London, the fireplace was a welcome addition to the beautiful living/dining room, and of course the little treats by the bedside, slippers by the bed, and candles in the bath just added to our feeling like royalty.
Oh, I mustn't forget the personalized business cards on the desk. What a nice touch!

The breakfasts were a delight and catered to all tastes and appetites. The several times we had room service, champagne accompanied the breakfast - a nice start to the day!!

There is nothing about the Milestone Hotel that we could fault. We heartily recommend it.
Thank you to all the staff who made us feel so very welcome.

Room Tip: I can't imagine any of the rooms/apartments not being first class.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words. I was so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us in our fantastic apartments. We certainly do have a fantastic Butler in Fran and a brilliant Concierge desk along with a great Housekeeping and Food and Beverage team. I was delighted that we met your expecatations and I do hope that you will join us once again in the near furture.
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great place to visit over weekend break.
Nice relaxing place, great comfortable rooms and friendly staff.
Children were very happy and feel that they are very welcome by staff who was very friendly and accomodated.
Enjoyed! thank you

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Anne R
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed in one of the apartments over Christmas and also enjoyed lovely breakfasts each morning, the Christmas dinner, and a tea. All were wonderful! Our family loved the space and convenience, plus it was only 5 minutes walk to the Tube and Whole foods. Many nice restaurants in walking distance, and the staff was superb at giving suggestions on where to go and eat. We avoid the tourist traps at all costs. Our apartment was so clean and comfortable, and the beds felt so good after a day of sightseeing. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I was delighted to read your comments following your stay in our apartments and that we met your expectations. I hope that you will join us once again in the near future. I have passed on your kind words to the team here at the hotel.
Abu Dhabi, Uae
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at the milestone before and the first time it was cosy and cute. My first room was a savile row design which was awesome! Different! Yet not too loud, this time we stayed at the Venetian suite and it was jut an absolute charm in Kensington.
To be honest I had different options of hotels but I wanted to stay here because the location is brilliant, it's a boutique hotel therefore you get treated like its your own home and this what I exactly wanted.
Anyway the stay was lovely, charming and nice, staff were responsive and attainable ( thank you )
What the hotel gives you is love and what it needs is a new kettle, probably a new iron and coffee+tea in the room.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time, once again, to leave your feedback following your return stay with us. As you mentioned each room in the hotel has its individual home from home charm and I was so happy that you found the rooms along with the service to your liking. I have noted your comments regarding the need for a better iron and tea and coffee tray in your room which I have added to your guest profile for future stays. I do hope that you will come and visit us again in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I still fondly recall our stay at The Milestone Hotel. Our first couple of nights in the UK were spent at this lovely location and we couldn't have been happier. It was wonderful to return every night to such a comfortable, welcoming place. Staff members were superb. We stayed in several other hotels during our travels and this hotel had the most genuinely amiable, efficient and knowledgeable staff. The Milestone has excellent dining options, is located in a pleasant part of London - right across from Kensington Park, and our rooms were cozy, elegant and very well appointed. In fact, we were so impressed with the hotel that we decided to stay there the last couple of days of our vacation. If you would like a gracious and truly memorable stay in London I would highly recommend The Milestone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KLSchiebel
I was really pleased to read your very kind feedback. I was delighted that you found that the hotel met your expectations. It is all of the teams aim here to ensure our guests have a perfect stay with us so I thank you once again for taking the time to post your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards