“Location”

St Giles London - A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #618 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is nice and handy for many things, but it is far from the best. The room was more than a tad small, akin to a cupboard so not for people who like elbow room. Another quirky thing was lots of tea and coffee makings but no spoon, can't trust the guest with spoons. On the other hand the staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast, not so good made a canteen look quite, and the food tasted no a lot, pre cooked toast left for an hour or so, really Giles you need to do better. All in all stay here if you have to, if you don't, don't.

Room Tip: Up high away from street noise
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (6,414)

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I am used to London hotels being poor value for money - but this was the worst I have stayed in to date. The room was cramped, dirty and thoroughly depressing with barely space for both myself and my luggage in it at the same time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelFairie
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, close to Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road tube station. I did have a couple of issues with my booking.
I originally booked an Executive Suite for 1 night, on arrival we were told our room was not ready, so we waited in the coffee lounge until 2pm, which was not a problem. When I went to get our room key I was asked by the receptionist if the room that was on the booking in slip was a room that I has specifically asked for, I said no, so she scribbled out that room number, allocated us a room and gave us room 767!? When we got to the room I thought that it was a bit on the small side, so I called reception and asked if we had been allocated the right room, I was told that they did not have any executive suite's available and that this was an executive double room, and that because of the downgrade we would be given a discount of £30. (On reflection I wonder if we had been allocated the "Suite" but because I said that I had not requested it, was given a "Double"!?)
Now I guess most people would accept this and be happy, however not me, I booked this room way back in October to ensure the room type! I was passed over to the duty manager, who explained that due to a "computer issue" (yes that old chestnut) that occurred in December, our room had been allocated incorrectly! I did persist with my complaint and was told that there were no executive suites left available. I was offered another room (an executive twin), which we went to look at and although it was bigger, it was noisy and you could smell food cooking, we also found a dirty plaster stuck to the sofa in the room "YUK".
We decided that, after seeing what the alternative room was like, to stay in the original room along with a discount of £50. I was still not really happy, I had booked the weekend away as a gift for my partner, but he said that he was happy with the downgrade as it was clean and quiet, albeit very small.
As previously stated the room was clean, the heating/air con worked a treat, I found the bed fairly comfortable but the pillows were awful, there was a wardrobe with hangers but there were no shelves or drawers to put clothes on/in, which I found a bit odd. The bathroom was clean, shower cubicle was huge, towels were large and fluffy and the bathrobe was big enough for a large person. Breakfast was good, we were in a specially allocated "executive" breakfast room which was great. A good range of continental food, cereal's, yogurt etc.. full English/hot food was ordered and brought to your table.
We had a great weekend even though I was not happy. We would stay here again as it was great for getting around the centre of London and the service was good and helpful, although I would call in advance to check that I got the room that I booked!!

Room Tip: Just check that you get the room that you booked!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Great location in the heart of London and just around the corner from Tottenham Court station. Wonderful view from the tenth floor. A little room but with all you need, good bed, fresh air, telly, own ensuite, jug for tea and coffee. Warm, clean and comfortable and excellent price for the heart of London. The YMCA sports and leisure complex downstairs is an excellent facility that you get to use for a low price as a hotel guest. Good way to work out some jet lag if you're into that sort of thing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view facing Big Ben
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Linda W
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is superbly located, within walking distance of an array of attractions and the Tottenham Court tube station. The breakfast is a very very very basic cafeteria style affair and the hotel is busy and noisy. Nonetheless, the small rooms are clean and well-equipped and the check-in process swift and seamless. It is perfect for trips where staying in the room is not a big part of it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel.....excellent location, 10 min bus journey from Kings Cross Station, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Oxford Street all within walking distance and Tottenham Court tube station just round the corner.
We were greeted by the Concierge at the entrance. Had to queue to check-in, but it was very quick and the staff friendly and efficient, however, we found our room to be very small, grubby and dark, hardly any where to put our clothes. Bathroom was tiny, no bath only shower cubicle & nowhere to put toiletries. I returned to reception to ask for a bigger room - I was told that all the rooms were compact, but allocated another one that had a bigger bathroom and bedroom was laid out slightly differently. The second room was slightly bigger, bathroom much bigger - bath with shower over and more space to place toiletries. The room was clean, but although there were 2 bedside lamps, a lamp on the dressing table and a standard lamp, the lighting was still quite dim & the window small & hardly any natural light, so not good for applying makeup/doing hair. There was a TV and tea/coffee making facilities, extra towels and pillows and a spare blanket. The room was serviced on our second day - the bed was made; towels & glasses changed & bins emptied. We saw the chambermaid in the corridor a few times, she always smiled and spoke.
Breakfast was not particularly enjoyable, more like a factory canteen than a hotel restaurant & it wasn't equipped to handle the volume of guests. There was only one buffet/servery area that had a lengthy queue most of the time. We had to ask for trays plates and cutlery as they had run out. Everything, including juice and hot drinks was self service buffet style. There was plenty to choose from - cereal; fruit; croissants/rolls; ham; cheese; boiled eggs; jam & marmalade. On the hot section you could choose from toast, which was usually soggy; scrambled egg; tomato; beans; hash brown; deep fried sausage and grilled bacon. Although the girls at the entrance taking our room number were friendly, most of the other staff were unfriendly and some even rude.
This hotel was OK for a 2 night break, but probably won' stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angela0701
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I´ve been at this hotel every summer for 4-5 years now, and i love the location - and the rooms are fine, a bit small, but - it´s London :) If you are a light sleeper, maybe its best to get a room not facing the road, it has´nt bother me, but maybe it would if you are a light sleeper.

The hotel is clean, the staff are nice and the best is the location, we usually walk everywhere from here, so it´s perfect for a shoppingtrip with girlfriends.

The breakfast is fine, instead of cont. breakfast, we had coffee2GO last year, and that was also fine, you get a choice of coffee, a bread and some fruit, perfect to take with you out.

We are going back in july this year.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends