“Dreadful”

St Giles London - A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #623 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for one night on a business trip. My first room was on the twelfth floor, the corridor was shabby, the room freezing cold and the room stark with a shabby carpet , no curtains and a very small bathroom with no heating. After being promised a heater and waiting one hour for it I gave up, packed up and went to reception to request another room. They initially told me the hotel was full, but then found another room? This was on the 8 th floor. It was better, but noisy I could hear EVERYTHING taking place in the bathroom next door and the windows are not very soundproof so the noise from outside was a problem. The room was exceptionally clean but that's the only good point about the hotel apart from the location. The standard of the first room wasn't even up to 2 star .

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank kholidays1930

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived at different times and consequently got separate electronic keys but only one was allowed to be active, which was a bit off putting and would of been a problem if we had been going to different places and different times, which wasn't a great start for us.
The hotel itself is in a good location just around the corner from Tottenham Court Road tube station and the British Museum. Unfortunately the room I stayed on the 4th floor was compact although although we are of average height and build would of struggled in the small bathroom and shower if we were of a bigger build. The bathroom had only one bath towel and hand towel for a double room and 2 of us. I called Housekeeping and got an answerphone message to say their opening hours and to call the following number out of hours, it was 4pm and was well with the times stated. I then called reception who asked me to check the wardrobes as sometimes housekeeping put them with the spare pillows. I informed the receptionist I had checked the small wardrobe and draws and nothing and explain we were going out to dinner and wanted showers, they informed me 10 minutes, I had to call just over an hour later to remind them. The towels in my opinion are small bath towels and not a great quality, compared to many of their competitors and even lesser expensive rivals who use bath sheets. The bed was adequate. The biggest concern for us the lack of curtains as the windows are venetian blinds, that reflect the light outside through the gaps. When it starts to get light the room gets light, if you are a light sleeper(excuse the pun) not a great experience at all.
Breakfast is more like a cafeteria rather than a restaurant, basic, just OK. I had originally booked again for next month, but cancelled it on my return home. We would not stay here again and felt very disappointed as the write up gave a good impression.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KTRutland
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed at The St. Giles Hotel on a one night Theatre break. The reception team are very polite. Rooms are small but clean with Tea and Coffee facilities, the beds are comfortable, and the Bathroom is small but functional. It was a very cold evening but the room was warm, in fact too warm at the beginning, but heating was easy to adjust. We didn't experience any noise as the room looked out over a side street. We would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Patsy42Essex
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Very good location, central London, near Soho and Oxford Street - this is the best point. Nice room, clean and very comfortable, good beds, good shower. Not enough elevators (and quite slow). Stressful breakfast in a big space, overwhelmed staff, running around.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marta C
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is our third visit to the St Giles hotel just off Tottenham Court Rd .The team are polite are efficient the hotel is clean. The rooms whilst not being massive are comfy clean warm with tea coffee facilities extra pillows , and we were given a small suite on this visit which meant we had a sitting room ,fridge , two tvs , hairdryer , and a seperate bedroom. Im sure there are many more upmarket hotels in London but if you want a great location you can walk to Leicester Square in 10 minutes and be on the central line tube in 2 minutes then this is the best value well run base for great 1 or 2 night weekend breaks .We will use this hotel again definitely.

Room Tip: we had room 201 which was a small suite
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank simonkettering
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

As a family get together this hotel was booked for me so it was a matter of put up and shut up.

The rooms are small but acceptable what wasn't was that it was really really cold. The radiator or at least the bit of folded tin under the dressing table was barely tepid even with the 6" of snow outside. Eventually we were offered a portable heater but heater but it was too late.
The bed had broken springs all over it; so was actually painful to sleep on.

The bar prices are what I expect for the centre of London we didn't eat there as just outside the door is a much better choice on offer.

I would not use this hotel again would rather spend half the amount on rooms at a travelodge outside the centre and travel in on the tube.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stay here regularly. the location is great, the staff are friendly (for London!). The rooms are always clean, although very small.

We always stay in the executive rooms, they have more space and a seperate breakfast room that doesnt become feeding time at the zoo!

Biggest problem is the lifts, there isnt nearly enough and you can end up waiting 5 + minutes at busy times.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business