“Great hotel in perfect location”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #460 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 5, 2005

Just returned from my 3rd visit to London. And with each trip, I have "upgraded" my lodging. (First time was a hostel, second time was The Blakemore, which was nice- but wanted something more central for this short visit) The Strand Palace was a little more than I wanted to spend ($500 for 4 nites- which was part of my Expedia package), but for London, thats not bad at all. For whatever reason, I usually don't use too many of hotel's amenities.. didn't go to the restaurants, etc. But I did use the concierge to get tube travel cards. I didn't encounter a queue and the staff was quite friendly. And since reception wasn't able to accomodate my early check in (8am), I had to check my luggage and pick it up at their check in time of 2pm. The porter was friendly, but seemed a bit overworked. The hotel location was wonderful. Its on the Piccadilly tube line (which runs from Heathrow). After exiting the Covent Garden tube stop, its just a short walk thru the cobblestoned, pedestrian only shopping area, then straight thru Covent Garden Piazza, before arriving on The Strand. The fancy, more expensive Savoy is directly across the street from the hotel. At least 3 different theaters are within 50 feet of the hotel entrance, plus multiple restaurants, etc. In addition to Covent Garden tube stop, there is also the Charing Cross (at Trafalgar Square) and Leicester Square tube stops within walking distance. Even Westminster Abbey is a short, scenic walk away.

The hotel itself is quite nice. Very bustling reception area. Alot of people coming and going between the restaurants, conference rooms, etc. There are multiple stairwells plus 3 elevators. Each floor has seating areas and a refreshment room. I was on the 1st floor and the hallway could've used some fresh paint and new carpet.. but no biggie. The hotel room was very nice and updated. Fairly good sized, vanity/mirror/chair, closet with a mirror inside the door. The loo appeared quite modern with all tiled floor/walls, it had a heated towel rack. oh la la. And as someone else mentioned, THE most impressive water pressure EVER in the shower. It was almost TOO much power! ;-) The only issues I had with my room were-- no view out my window (I had a view of the hotel rooms across an airshaft), many TV channels weren't coming in & the remote didn't work. Though I could've complained about this and I'm sure they would've fixed. But it wasn't that big of a deal to me. And it was quite cold while I was there and though the heat was more then adequate during the day, at night I had it on "MAX" and I was still chilly. And lastly, though my bed would appear to be comfortable... my back was killing me. But its not like the bed was hard as a rock, or soft/squishy/lumpy... it obviously just didn't suit me.
When I return to London, which there is no doubt that I will, I will probably try and stay at The Strand Palace again.

• Stayed: November 2005
11  Thank hollyNhollywood
Write a ReviewReviews (10,290)

oman
Reviewed November 29, 2005

Stayed at this hotel whilst attending two courses in central London. Delighted by its closeness to Covent Garden (two blocks) and from Wagamama (one block). 5 minute walk to Covent Garden tube station. Perfect for my needs. Hotel was warm and cosy - staff on reception desk, concierge and left luggage were all bright, cheery and very helpful. Single room was well decorated, well lit and cosy. It was facing the Strand, but was not noisy. Newish bathroom with the best power shower I have ever had anywhere in the world. Took me all my time to get out as it was so wonderful. Did not try hotel restaurants as try to avoid this anywhere I stay. With the wonderful Wagamama up the road, why eat anywhere else? Only one gripe: Internet was available on two PCs in reception area. However, cost was GBP 3 for 15 mins - steep by anyone's standards.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 25, 2005

Found The Strand Palace Hotel on ba for a disounted price while travelling overseas. We wanted a hotel in London close to the theaters. The Strand Palace was perfect for us. Just off of the Covent Garden stop of the Picadilly Line (from Heathrow), the hotel was easy to find and right in the heart of the theater district.
The hotel is quite large with decent-sized rooms that have not really been updated in a while. The rooms were not dirty, but certainly not modern, either.
We loved the location, though....down the street from "The Lion King" and "Stomp" and a few blocks from the half-price tickets booth in Leicster Sq., we were more than content. A few reviews had mentioned that the rooms were unbearably hot - we never had that problem...and we could certainly open the window when the steamy shower filled the room. For the price and the location, the Strand Palace served its purpose well.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sydney Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2005

We stayed at the Strand Palace in September 2005. The weather was hot and there wasn't any air conditioning, which was a minor problem, in that the room was a bit airless. Otherwise the stay was good and the location is unbeatable. The inclusive breakfast was excellent and the staff were helpful. The only rip off was the luggage storage on the first day, which was very expensive. I would stay here again, just for the location!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 20, 2005

My Wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in September 2005.

We accessed great promotional rates via their website, by scrolling down until we found the lowest price on a club room and ticking the box! We thought 95 pounds for a double in one of the club/refurbished rooms was OK. Did not see any others.

I have not stayed in enough hotels in London to give a wise enough comparative review but apart from being good value for money, the location really is unbeatable.

Covent Garden is easily the best place to stay in London and the proximity by foot to the tube stations, Picadilly Circus, Leicester Square and the theatres, Trafalgar Square, etc, was brilliant. Lots of pubs, restaurants, street performers, etc, in the smaller streets and lanes nearby also. It really does have the best vibe. We like to walk and only caught the tube twice during our stay. Like all great cities, you have to stay in the middle of London to really get a sense of the place.

Now 2 important things about the Strand Palace:

Firstly, it ain't no palace. It is not new, the rooms are no bigger than all the others in London, but on the whole, if you don't expect the world, you should not be disappointed.

Secondly, the rooms get incredibly hot, even when it's cold outside. Unless its the middle of winter, make sure you are not given an internal room overlooking the coutyard. They are the hottest. While it was 20 degrees centigrade outside, it was at least 40 in the room. With no aircon, all they could do was offer us another fan. Somehow, the heat is trapped in the core of the building. After making a small fuss at reception, the room we were changed to was on a lower floor on the outside of the building where a breeze could come in through the outside windows. 15 degrees cooler - what a relief.

So all in all, I doubt that its anyone's favourite hotel in the world, but if you get a good price, the location of The Strand Palace makes it a pretty smart choice.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
12  Thank MI4
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 15, 2005

My wife and I were in room 530 for two nights in early November, 2005. I decided on the Strand because of its location, price, and reviews here on tripadvisor. We paid a total of $397.90 for the two nights including all taxes and Hotel(-) service fee. Breakfast was not included, but it was a short walk to Covent Gardens where we had coffee and sweet rolls while listening to live chamber music and an opera singer! The Big Bus Tour, which had a stop very close to the hotel, was used for getting around. We walked to Picadilly and all over and we are over 60 years old. The room and bath were clean with two twin beds. There were no little samples of toiletries. We arrived one hour before the published check-in time and were given our room with no problem. Our last morning we walked accross the Waterloo bridge to the Waterloo station for the Eurostar in about 15 minutes with a backpack and rolling, carry-on, suitcase. Our room was on the side alley and we slept with the window open to get fresh air. We would return if we go back to London.

• Stayed: November 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 30, 2005

This hotel was a huge disappointment. Having stayed at several hotels over the last few months on business, all around the same price mark, this was without a doubt the worst.

It has so much going for it in terms of location; if only somebody would invest a lot of money in it and bring it up to even an OK standard then they could make a huge success out of it. Unfortunately though it seems as if management have been trading off its location and ignoring any kind of basic investment in it for the last 30 or so years.

The room was tiny, abysmally hot (even though the weather outside was cold!), poorly maintained (the toilet handle was almost falling off), and noisy. It had a rotting wooden window that faced out onto an inner courtyard. The window barely opened, and even if it would then there was no breeze to speak of to cool the room. I ended up putting the shower on full blast (the only good thing about the room was the powerful shower) on cold for a long time to create a kind of artificial air conditioning that worked a little bit. I had also asked for a double room but was given a single. When I complained I was told that that's all they had; due to being in a rush when checking in I didn't pursue it any further but was quite annoyed.

The other thing that disappointed me was that left luggage costs £2/day. It's not much, but I've never had to pay for this in any other hotel (and I've stayed in a lot recently).

Until it has major investment then I will definitely not being staying here again!

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business