“City Break with show”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #459 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Having reviewed, a range of hotels - we decided on the Strand Palace Hotel - what a great location to stay in London. Three minute stroll to Covent Garden, short walk to Trafalgar Square... Good hotel, with comfortable rooms, very clean, pleasant staff, worth booking the English breakfast - good start to the day, food really good.

If you are going for a show in London, or just spending the weekend,this is a great affordable hotel, not the closest for Oxford Street... but just a good affordable place to stay.... in what appeared to be a very safe and vibrant area of London.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside of the hotel away from the road are quieter... We stayed in the first floor an...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (10,270)

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I've stayed here numerous times over the past two years and have previously reviewed the hotel. During this time, there has been a continuous decent in standards which now requires urgent attention of the management. The mumbling staff on check-in have little interest in guests, and the breakfast arrangements have become farcical (the hotel restaurant cannot cope with the volume of guests, and the restaurant staff are unapologetic verging on rude to guests waiting anything up to 15/20 minutes to be seated). Despite this being a common occurrence (it has happened on every staff I have had here), check in staff still do not alert guests to the considerable wait they will have during the breakfast service (and a number of guests left as they were concerned about missing meetings or onward travel). All guests must be clearly informed that extra time must be allocated for breakfast on check in.

My room, while tidy, was in need of maintenance (broken taps in the bathroom) and overlooked a dirty, litter strewn courtyard (which is inexcusable). Added that one of the three lifts was broken, this hotel is nowhere near the rating it claims to have. While the exterior facelift is an admiral undertaking, a much needed management overhaul inside and some strong staff retraining should be a more urgent priority.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank jmee
Michelle L, PA to the General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your recent stay. Your comments and reviews have been shared with staff and our management team.

We like to pride ourselves on our excellent customer service which is often commented on in other reviews on this site and others.
Clearly your visit did not match our normal standards of customer service and we do hope your next visit will reflect this.

Also, let me apologise for the lifts not working - this was a short term problem which was rectified by our lift contractor.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

A good location on The Strand, about 5 minutes walk from Charing Cross Tube Station. Reception was fine, but they do demand a swipe of your credit card - you need to be firm if you don't like this. Although small, my room was clean and comfortable - but the "air conditioning" seemed to consist of opening the window. The shower room/toilet was well appointed, and well maintained. Breakfast had an extensive hot and cold buffet - some things were good, others not.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2014

First, there are three elevators for the hotel with 8 floors (I was on the 8th). One of the three were broken. Fine, I walked up and down several times but what if you weren't physically able to.

Second, the room was as big as a closet, literally. Room 888. The door literal opens up hit the side of the bed. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world and this was by far the smallest. The price I paid (approximately 200.00) was extremely off the mark. I booked this well in advance on hotels.com. The value of the place is definitely not there. The pics you see....well, lets say that there is no picture of room 888. I will put it up once I have it.
Third, the walls are thin, thin, thin. I could hear every phone call from my neighbors room. At one point, in my regular voice, I just asked if she could take the call outside and she did lol. Also, the maids WILL wake you up in the morning with slamming of doors and talking as if everyone is hard of hearing. I also had to ask them at 9:30am if they minded not shouting down the hallway which they did each morning. There was no iron or ironing board. The windows only open a crack so it can get hot in there....even in May! They had a fan in the closet I could have used. The room isn't large enough to really evaluate much more. I am a small guy so if anyone is average or above, good luck. The public areas are very nice but all show. Don't expect the same of the rooms. Check-in was relatively painless. If you are going to the theater it is a WONDERFUL location. I know I wasn't paying to stay at the Savoy but I can honestly say I think room 888 used to be a housekeeping storage room, it was that small. Expect noise, noise, noise. I have a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones and those didn't even block out the noise due to the thin walls/door and the loud talking by the neighbors and housekeeping.

Room Tip: Ugh. Just don't stay here and you won't have to worry about room selection
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank wanderingtheworld200

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments particularly regarding the size of your room.
We would like to point out that the booking was made for a single room and the price paid was about £112.00 (perhaps you are referring to $200?).
All of our single rooms are for sole use and compared to American standards can be perceived as small. However, this is reflected in the price for a room in central London.

All of our inner facing room windows do only open 10cm as per health & safety requirements.

I do apologise that the lifts were not working - this was a short term problem which was rectified by our lift contractor.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We do welcome and appreciate all feedback from our valued guests. Your comments have been passed on to our staff and Management team.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We stayed at the Strand Palace for a quick 1.5 day stopover in London. Clean, quite cozy (yes, small, but as advertised), great location. I would definitely stay again. Only one disconcerting thing--they held luggage when our room wasn't available, but I question the security of the space. The following morning we left our luggage with the travel desk and they took them into the back area. A few minutes later I realized I'd forgotten something. Presumably to be helpful they allowed us back into the secure area to retrieve the item--unsupervised. I knew I would only get my item, but I'm not sure this is the best course of action. As we returned a few hours later we see two women exiting the luggage area unsupervised. Again, presumably innocent enough, but I'm not sure this is the best strategy to ensure the security of guests belongings, I would encourage this practice to stop--even if people don't like the extra delay they should appreciate that their items are safe. Or at the very least please supervise people as they get something from their bag. I will stay again, but I will take measures to ensure my bags are more difficult to open, just in case.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed here from 9-11 May 14, very welcoming, easy to check in, beautiful hotel. Upon booking I was asked was I travelling business or pleasure, I explained that it was my 40th birthday trip. They left me a card and bottle of Prosecco in my room....awesome! Very clean and tidy. Worth paying the extra if you ask me!

Room Tip: All great I would imagine
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We arrived at the hotel to be told our afternoon tea would be held in the Indian restaurant we proceeded there and waited over 20 minutes for our drinks to arrive.
A further 20 mins later our afternoon tea still hadn't arrived and we were beginning to panic as time was ticking on and we had a coach to catch back home (not from London).
We checked with the waitress who said she would check with the chef. It got to almost an hour later when we finally received our afternoon tea, we asked for the bill as we had to leave and for our tea to be put into boxes as we didn't have time to eat it we were paying around £20 for the tea including drinks so didn't want to waste it (no apology was given for the lateness of our afternoon tea when it arrived).
We explained we were in a hurry but the waiter took so long to put the food into boxes that we almost had to run out so we could catch our coach before it left.
The food itself was lovely when we finally got to eat it (sandwiches, macaroons, Mini fruit tarts, scones etc), but the poor service really did detract from that and it was a total disappointment for our first experience of afternoon tea, not impressed and will definitely not be returning.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Billie1985
Michelle L, PA to the General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Strand Palace Hotel.
We would very much like to apologise for your bad experience and please be assured that this is not our usual standard of service. Both our Head Chef as well as our Food & Beverage Manager have been informed of your experience.

Once again, thank you for your review.