“Avoid the cozy doubles”

GreenLeadersGold level
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Avoid the cozy doubles”
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

We had been booked into this hotel so hadn't made the choice about the room, if we had we would have avoided anything with the word cozy in it, particularly in London where rooms tend not to be spacious anyway. The first room we had was horrible with a small bed pushed against a wall in a tiny room with very little light and a tiny bathroom. The experienced was saved by the lovely service manager who found us a slightly more generous cozy double with better light. Since the hotel was full it was the best option available. I liked the machines near the lift which meant you could get snacks and drinks without using a minibar. There is a Boots over the road which is great for forgotten toiletries. Breakfasts were standard but good, I didn't ask for gluten free stuff since there was so much available although I did notice the bacon was sitting on bread, a standard practice to soak up the fat but one I wish would stop. The hotel was being used by a dance company so some fun people watching. I breakfasted on my own and was completely comfortable. The star in this hotel's crown is the location which is outstanding.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,537)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a great location in central London. Rooms were a little small but comfortable. A good bar and very helpful concierge. Hotel was very busy due to it being the London marathon weekend, but coped well. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The Strand Palace Hotel is a good hotel in the centre of London near to theatres and attractions of the city. (It's also opposite The Savoy).

The service was friendly in the busy hotel and the staff on the front desk were efficient and helpful. I had a single room which was clean, comfortable and well equipped. The wifi was good and I managed to do quite a bit of work before going to the business event I was in town for.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The single room was facing the central courtyard, so it was quiet enough for me to have a window ope...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank whawkins
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I recently stayed at the Strand Palace Hotel and to which I have been a few times before on my previous visits to London. Whilst this time was again an overalls success I feel that the restaurant has this time let the hotel down. The food was of poor quality, rather cold when it arrived and served by waiters who looked like the'yd all really rather be somewhere else, in fact, working anywhere else other than at this hotel. This is a shame because the overall quality of the hotel is good, the location unbeatable, the remainder of the staff excellent and the bedrooms more than adequate (and that's for a rather large Australian!) But they need to resolve the restaurant issues before I'll be eating there again, for sure!

Room Tip: Get one at the back of the hotel. They may be a bit smaller but are so much quieter!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank JB6146
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Over the last 10-years, I've stayed at the Strand Palace three or four times. The location is perfect. I stayed in a single room in the back of the hotel. I didn't mind the back of the hotel because it was super quiet. I will say this my bathroom fixtures needed to be upgraded. All the fixtures worked find but they were outdated. Other than that the hotel was perfect. I will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Suzl4
Rochester, Michigan, USA
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Once again, I booked the Strand Palace Hotel for a two week stay. This was my second holiday in London in a year's time and my second visit to this hotel. Online booking was a simple matter. The Strand Palace was, once again, offering a free travel card (good for both buses and Tube) for the duration of my stay. In addition, for a limited time, they also offered their Wine & Dine package at no additional cost if I booked an Executive Room with breakfast. That meant additional meals, afternoon tea, and beverages, including beer and wine, were included. Check in was seamless. At first, I was offered an upgrade at cost. However, I declined. I also mentioned the Wine & Dine package, which didn't seem to appear on the reservation. Fortunately, I had printed a copy of the reservation, including the information regarding that package. Upon presentation at reception, all was put in order. I was given a voucher which I then presented to the concierge who provided me with two travel cards; one for each week of my stay.

The Executive Single room was spacious and well appointed. Although I haven't slept in a single bed in many years, it was a good size and most comfortable. The room faced an inner courtyard, as per my request, which assured quiet days and nights. Although it was February, I kept the windows slightly open and closed the wooden shutters (no cloth curtains) at night. That allowed for just the right temperature and air circulation. I only turned the radiator on twice during my stay! There was a built in wardrobe complete with a safe. A terrycloth dressing gown, slippers, and an umbrella were provided. There were plenty of shelves and hangers in the wardrobe. A flat screen television was attached to one wall and was easily viewed from the easy chair, the desk, or the bed. The bathroom contained the toilet, pedestal sink, and shower in a compact but user-friendly space. Towels were ample in size. Facecloths were also provided. This is not always the case in London hotels. Toiletries were replenished on a daily basis. In addition, an electric kettle, cups, tea bags, biscuits, and Cadbury cocoa mix were provided.

The food at this hotel varies with the venue and choice of menu. Because I was staying in one of the Executive Rooms, I was invited to have breakfast in the Covent Garden Suite each day. Located past the lounge, it provide a very different environment from the two other hotel dining rooms. It was smaller and more intimate with wait staff who seated me immediately upon arrival and took orders for main courses. A buffet featuring fruit, cold meats and cheeses, yogurt, breads and pastries, and salmon was available daily. Every breakfast made for a hearty beginning to each day. It was a different experience from the previous year when I had to join a queue most mornings in order to enter the restaurant and be seated.

I enjoyed a full afternoon tea in the lounge. In addition to hot tea, plates of sandwiches, scones, and pastries were included. On the three occasions I enjoyed this delicious experience, I did not partake in dinner!

On several other afternoons, I ordered sandwiches in the lounge. They were tasty as they were hearty.

The Carvery Restaurant is the place where the food tends to vary based on the diner's choice. When I chose to select my meal from the Carvery, I found the food to be bland, overcooked or simply kept too long under the heat lamps. Fortunately, I discovered the ala carte menue which featured poultry, fish, pasta, and beef dishes; all of which were delicious. The starters and puddings were beautifully presented and had much more flavor than those items offered on the carvery buffet.

On two occasions, I had a glass of wine in the Mask Bar. Those evenings, I was the only customer in the bar! This is a very nicely appointed venue. Small plates are also offered in the Mask Bar.

I highly recommend the Stand Palace Hotel and will book a room there in future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing in inner courtyard where there will be no noise!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Me and 8 members of my family went to Strand Palace restaurant for Sunday lunch to celebrate my cousins birthday. We were given a table away from other diners, which is good cos we generated abit of noise! Although it was fairly empty. The staff were friendly and attentive. The 3 course buffet for £20 was excellent value. The cold starters were very good. The roast was a choice of 3 meats and plenty of vegetables to choose from and it was nice but not as good as my husbands roasts! Would go back. Also very central location.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family