“Perfect location”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #453 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Very helpful staff. As an example the night porter was running around on the street in his bare shirt, 4 o´clock in the morning, doing everything he could in order to catch a taxi for us. Perfect location geographically, close to most points of interest in central London, as well as public transport-wise, with a bus stop almost outside the entrance, wich made it very easy to get around. Simple but clean rooms, with WiFi and TV.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gabrielborgius
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and for mentioning our night porter in particular. As they say, “it’s all part of the service”!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

A good position for theatre land etc etc. Staff helpful and friendly. Disappointing only cheap plastic glasses provided in the rooms. Not what you expect from £160 a night rooms.. Travelodge maybe... Breakfast very good but could have done without 10 minute queue for table. Rooms are clean and tidy, bit dated, but more than adequate for our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review. For our position in central London we do try to provide a good value experience for our guests, as you suggest. I take your point about the plastic glasses in the bathroom but these are for safety, health and guest convenience not cheapness although I would of course readily accept that they are cheaper than glass.

My apologies for the wait – this can happen at busy times at breakfast unfortunately. I know how annoying that must have been and I do hope it didn’t spoil your stay too much.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

From check-in, room comfort and cleanliness, dining (the self-service breakfasts were delicious with a wide choice of food) through to check-out the standards of all staff was of the highest quality. The location of the Strand Palace Hotel is superb, withing easy walking distance of my objectives in Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square and the Mall. It is also very conveniently located for those shopaholics who unlike me prefer Oxfort Street, Regent Street etc. I aim to return next year.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear Ally,

A lovely review – thank you very much and I am already looking forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Next to the Savoy business must be hard. The common areas in the hotel are nice, the rooms are so small that you kind of get annoyed of the price. Plus for newish bathrooms though. To give you an example of the service, I asked the receptionist for a map, but he said that he could not provide me with one because the concierge had gone home for the evening. He must not have been qualified to reach his arm over the counter and give me one.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read that you felt we were poor value for money. We actually have a reputation for providing good value accommodation at different price levels and are very popular, sharing our location in this part of central London with the considerably more expensive Savoy as we do.

If my receptionist had had access to a map he would most certainly have handed you one.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel is within a good location and very close to Charing Cross and Embankment Underground Stations for easy access to central London.
The price is also noticeably cheaper than the hotels in Leicester Square.
That said, the hotel is dated, has an old, musty smell throughout, and despite a refurbishment does not feel contemporary or modern in any way.
The rooms are ok, but no air conditioning and this is an issue sleeping at night as the rooms are very hot and this is November,
Wi fi is available and free.
Bedroom had a tiny window so felt a bit claustrophobic.
Housekeeping were knocking on my door this morning at 8.30am and woke me up.
I had a flight later and was hoping for a longer rest, I never experienced this so early in any other hotel and despite telling them I was checking out at 10am, I struggled to go back to sleep.
I tried this hotel as I wanted something a bit luxurious but without spending a fortune.
I would not visit again, and would rather spend a bit more money and stay somewhere more upmarket, not extravagant but where the basisc like good air con, and windows in rooms are available. Small things make a difference when you are away!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read that you did not like the restorations we have done at our hotel and must confess that I don’t recognise your description of us as having an old and musty smell.

I am sorry that housekeeping disturbed you. In order to have rooms available for guests arriving early – say from an overnight flight – we like to prepare some rooms early. But we would never ignore a ‘do not disturb’ flag.

As to our rooms, you rightly point out that it is possible with Strand Palace to have a stay in this popular part of central London without spending a fortune - we have a wide variety of sizes and prices to suit all budgets, including ones with air conditioning. I know you have said you would not visit us again but I do hope you change your mind, trying one of our upgraded rooms next time.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I needed easy access to Leicester Square on a budget and the Strand Palace Hotel was ideal. I had booked a single, club room but there were none available so I was upgraded free of charge to Executive. Excellent facilities, clean with very polite and welcoming staff. Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for recommending us and thank you for highlighting that we are a good value hotel.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Strand Palace is on The Strand, close to the Savoy and the Waldorf, but more affordable. It is on the perimeter of Covent Garden where all the theatres and restaurants are situated. It is a close walk to both Embankment and Charing Cross underground stations, and an ideal location for both business stays and tourist accommodation. There is a good choice available including well appointed single occupancy rooms. Wifi is free and this helps you keep up to date if it is a working trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jane,

I am delighted that you chose our hotel for your recent stay and that you like us. I am grateful to you for your review.