“Clean, Hot and good location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #383 of 1,086 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Ribeirao Preto, SP
“Clean, Hot and good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

The room is very good, clean but it is very small, the door is small that difficult to entry with a big purchase. It is very hot and we can't open the window. The location is is the perfect. The hotel is very big and have many rooms, understandably, somewhat impersonal

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Regina1972
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting your review.

I was sorry to read that you found us impersonal. You are certainly right that this is a big hotel and it is very popular but my staff do try to make time to be friendly and helpful. If this didn’t come across on your recent visit, then I apologise.

I am pleased that you like your room. As to the windows, it is possible to open them. For safety reasons we need to do this for you – a quick call to reception will get this done.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

David MacRae

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,472)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fife, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights as a prequel to our stay at the Savoy which is directly across the road. Greeting at reception was extremely friendly and efficient, and I was also advised we had been upgraded to a superior room to that booked. Our room was at the front of the hotel on the 5th floor overlooking The Strand which was quite noisy but you have to allow for this in city accommodation. The room was very clean and a good size with all required amenities apart from hair conditioner in the toiletries,( but hey this was easily rectified with a trip to Boots across the road ), and a full length mirror.
We also wanted to be near the Adelphi theatre and this hotel was literally only yards away.
The hotel is undergoing some refurbishment which made breakfast a bit chaotic both mornings, especially as we were in a different restaurant each day. The staff at breakfast also appeared very harassed and were confirming guest bookings in bulk which took away the personal touch, also very crammed at breakfast. I would hope though these are minor snaggings that are rectified when the refurb is complete.
We had drinks in the Mask Bar which were excellent value and we enjoyed this bar far more than the American bar at the Savoy.
Overall this hotel is ideally located for sightseeing and the theatres, is excellent value for money, has mainly friendly and efficient staff and we would definitely visit again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank derek190563
Dear Derek,

I am grateful to you for posting such a nice review about your recent stay at Strand Palace and for letting us know that you would stay with us again.

The restaurant arrangements were a temporary solution while the Carvery facilities were being upgraded to enhance our guest experience there (that work is now thankfully finished) which did put quite a bit of pressure on my staff at breakfast time if it was busy. I do hope this didn’t spoil your visit too much and we certainly look forward to having the chance of seeing you another time.

David MacRae
(ps I must confess to being secretly pleased you preferred our Mask Bar to the Savoy’s American Bar!)
Mill Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I often come to London for the theater and ballet, and the Strand Palace is the perfect location for both. It is an easy walk to Covent Garden and the theater district, and I feel safe walking in the area at night. The hotel itself is large and, understandably, somewhat impersonal. But it has recently been refurbished and the rooms are perfectly fine. The wifi access in the rooms is good, and the room safe is large enough to hold an iPad. Rooms are very clean and beds are comfortable. I have tried the buffet breakfast on some visits and it is quite substantial - both hot and cold food - something for everyone. There are also a number of eating establishments within close proximity of the hotel, so it is very convenient to go out for something to eat. Good value and good location. I have stayed here several times and will continue to use this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read that you have stayed with us several times and intend to do so again. We look forward with great pleasure to seeing you next time.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Strand Palace Hotel. I had trawled the internet looking for a hotel when a friend recommended this hotel. We booked direct and the hotel provided tube tickets for our 2 day stay (value £30). On our last day we booked our luggage into their luggage room (value £18 compared to station left luggage charges) so overall i felt i got a very good deal booking direct. The hotel was spotlessly clean and the room was very nice; the bathroom was pristine. The complimentary toiletries were a named brand and were lovely. Tea and coffee was replaced every day and we were provided with a bottle of water each morning. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. We were a little put out to be queuing for breakfast but a member of staff took everyone in the queue to an alternative dining room downstairs which i think is part of the conference centre. A full breakfast menu was available in this area and much appreciated. The location is excellent, there are 3 tube stations nearby. I cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel overlook the Strand and can be quite noisy with traffic but shutters...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your wonderful review of your recent stay.

Thank you for highlighting the good deals which are available to guests booking direct and please pass on my thanks to your friend who recommended us to you.

Just occasionally when we are exceptionally busy, we do ‘overflow’ breakfast to another area which makes it more convenient for guests. Thank you for your understanding over this.

You say you can’t wait to come back – we can’t wait for you to come back too!

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been here about 4 times now for afternoon tea, it is informal, relaxed and for £15.00 not bad value wise. You can have as much tea as you wish and they don't skimp on the cream or jam for the lovely warm scones. Sandwiches are tasty and the cakes aren't bad but not cream just sponges but all in all a nice chilled out afternoon tea. For an extra £4.00 you can have prosecco but don't order another glass after as you will be charged more.

Room Tip: Book a table as it can get busy in the lounge bar at times.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am so glad that you always enjoy your afternoon tea with us and am grateful that you took the trouble to describe your experience and give tips for the benefit of other guests. Many thanks.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here for two nights whilst in London on a training course. Not only is it in a great location for sight seeing and the theatres but was also just 10mins walk from my training course providers office. It,s also approximately 40 mins walk from Liverpool Street Station. I have to say that my whole experience of this hotel was very good from start to finish. On check in the young lady was very friendly and efficient, I was allocated a single room on the 7th floor. This was quite small but pretty comfortable, the bathroom was lovely and there were shutters on the windows to keep out the light. The only downside with the bathroom is if you were a little bigger built than me you may struggle to sit on the wc, it's right in the corner as if they almost forgot to put one in. There is a lot of refurbishment being done on this hotel (mainly on the exterior) which meant that breakfast was served in a different room to normal, this did nothing to alter the fact that the buffet breakfast was wonderfull. Everything seemed fresh and was monitored closely by the very efficient staff to ensure that nothing ran out. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for posting a review of your recent stay with us – I am so pleased that your experience was a very good one. I hope you can visit us again soon, for work or just a trip to London.

I am pleased to say that the restoration work on the exterior you mention is not far from completion and I am glad it didn’t mar your stay.

Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Strand 30 th Aug to the 1st Sept, and yet again a fantastic stay. Would recommend the hotel to anyone wanting to stay in central London at a hotel that is great value for money and fab staff.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Client,

Yet again Strand Palace is indebted to you for taking the trouble to write really such wonderful reviews after each of your visits. This recent one is much appreciated. Thank you so much. You must surely be one of our favourite guests!

I hope we will have the chance of seeing you again in the not too distant future.