“Smack bang in the centre”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #399 of 1,064 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Smack bang in the centre”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I only had 2 days in London so I did not want to waste time travelling on public transport getting to my destination. The Strand Hotel is smack bang in the centre. if you enjoy going to see shows, well they are all in walking distance. the hotel is clean, the staff is friendly an helpful if you are after assistance in getting to locations. The room i had was small (but after saying that it was bigger than I expected from the photos I seen). I paid 340 pounds for 2 nites ($560 AUD) breakfast included an free wifi. Considering that June is classified as peak I personally think it was great value for money for what I got an the location I was at!

Room Tip: I had the club single room an it was definitely big enough for me an my oversized samsonite suitcase...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,518)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Although not the fanciest hotels in London it is comfortable and affordable. I received great service, arriving at 8am and getting a room straight away at no extra charge. I had made a mistake when booking my room and had booked a single bed rather than single occupancy – they upgraded me to a bigger room for a small charge.

The room was clean and comfortable. I stayed in a room on the Strand side and even though it was on the 7th floor there was still quite a lot of road noise. If available, I would see if there is something at the back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the Strand
Munich, Germany
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Having stayed in London numerous times over the years, I approach each stay with some cynicism, having been overwhelmed by reception areas many times only to be underwhelmed by the rest of the stay. I am happy to say that this time was completely different. I was travelling alone, had asked for a quiet room on an upper floor, which is what I received, and had got a good rate booking via the hotel's own website. They are renovating, as it states on the website, but this had no impact on me whatsoever. The bedroom and bathroom were functional, comfortable and squeaky clean. The staff were all really helpful and pleasant; a particular mention here to the doorman who answered all my questions, including the less obvious ones. The location is excellent for a tourist. I didn't try out the restaurants so can't comment on those. My only slight niggle is that the atmosphere in the breakfast room was rather frantic and this wasn't conducive to a calm start to the day, although if I'd had a breakfast companion I might not have noticed that.
I felt very much at home and will most definitely stay at this hotel again, if the price is right.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Arrived to the hotel and immediately loved it, great location, central and very clean.
Things get less great when having your breakfast where most of staffs and waiters are not great in English (weird for a hotel of this standing)...you have to explain yourself more than once...
The housekeeping manager on duty (a certain "Lovejet") has a sense of sarcasm less than acceptable where every argument you have is turned into a sort of mokery... Held myself from screaming at him and letting him discover MY sense of humour...and/or sarcasm...
My wife, our friend and I think the hotel can do better in training their staff and teaching their managers true sense of customer service and maybe they will understand that the next customer could be less patient than I was...
Overall, good hotel, but can do better...

1 Thank Mahdi A
KINGSON UPON HULL
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is in a great situation and service was first class room I have been in better but very clean and comfortable but have to say £190 for one night was to much rather annoyed to find here that people have payed £145 but food good and service spot on just not worth the amount charged

1 Thank eastridingbigden
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went with a friend for a belated 50th birthday treat and to see The Lion King (oh and to see my daughter who lives in London). Stayed at the Strand Palace for 2 nights with breakfast for £75 each per night. When we arrived we had been upgraded at no cost to a King Size twin, lovely room, lots of space, nice bathroom with plenty of toiletries and spares.

Staff friendly and the breakfasts were really good (busy restaurant but plenty of food). We were so near everything (theatre, Covent Garden, Liz's pad up the road with the fancy gates and uber big house, the Thames etc etc). My friend hasn't been for 18 years and was agog! Would definitely stay at this Hotel again, so central and actually for the location we thought it was really good value and great to get the upgrade (no idea why!).

The only reason I'm not giving it a 5 is that had a couple of nights of slightly disturbed sleep by the coughing, sneezing, snorting man in a room nearby...not the fault of the hotel but just made me a bit more tired than I would have liked to have been!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

It's not too often that I can find this hotel with rooms under £200 a night, so after finding it on Trivargo for £169 it was promptly booked for a 3 night stay in London. The best thing about this place is it's location - bang in the middle of where it is all happening. Generally the hotel was fine but for a few niggles, which mainly were staffing issues. Upon arrival the hotel couldn't find our booking so we were asked to wait in a business lounge whilst they sorted the problem. To start with this was fine, especially as we had free newspapers, sweets, nuts and coffee. But then they forgot about us until we asked what was happening. We also had fun trying to get the receptionist to understand what a coat hanger was, and then our cocktail makers in the bar had never heard of a B52 drink! So we had a great time in a nice hotel but the experience was let down a little bit by some of the staff. Perhaps more local staff who could understand the English language would solve this issue, and there is more to being a cocktail mixer than just being good looking - training on a wide range of drinks should be a standard in any 5 star hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple