“West End - great location”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #447 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was found by my wife previously and my first visit. The hotel is located adjacent to Covent Garden, opposite The Savoy and walking distance to Lonodn Eye, Trafalgar and Leicester Square.

The price is reasonable for size of room you get in London - we stayed over Easter weekend, which meant that London was much more relaxed than the normal hustle and bustle.

As I am not a fan of hotel breakfasts I was glad to see many options for your own breakfast nearby with various chains such as Garfunkel, Paul, Eat, Pret A Manger and Cafe Nero along the Strand alone.

The wifi worked well and had a good selection on television including Sky Sports News.

Also grateful to the hotel management for assisting in changing room size after I made a mistake using booking.com.

Overall a great location and good vlaue for London.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Decent hotel with a great location on The Strand. Rooms are quite small and tiring but on the whole for a short stay it's not too bad.

Breakfast is good wit the hotel trying to imitate a more up-market atmosphere with attendant table service. The loud speaker announcements through breakfast could do with cutting out however.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel as part of an Olympic package i had won through work. Wasn't expecting much and had gone with out any advance research so was pleasantly surprised with the stay. Had called ahead to let tell them it was my dads birthday during the stay - on arrival there was a card and 2 bottles of champagne.
My dads room was large and overlooked the strand - lots of room and couldn't complain at all. My room was a twin and very small with no view but was clean and new and did the job for one night.
Location is excellent - a number of tube stations nearby and walking distance to most attractions. Not to mention the savoy hotel opposite where I treated my dad to a bday meal at the savoy grill.
For a value for money, decent hotel in a great location I would definitely return and a big big thank you to all the hotel management for the kind gifts on my dads bday and making our stay an excellent one. Breakfast was good too.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed in a twin room with my daughter. Check in was easy and we were made to feel welcome. The room was small but very clean and comfortable, with everything you would expect to find in a hotel room. Our room was at the back of the hotel so was very quiet. The windows were very draughty and made the room quite cold, but by closing the wooden shutters the room warmed up quite quickly. The shutters also shut out most of the light so aided in a good night's sleep. The shower head was quite big and the first time I turned the shower on (before I'd closed the shower curtain properly) the water went all over the floor! So I was more careful next time. The only (slight) criticism I have is that on the day of our departure the cleaners knocked on our door at 9am (check out time is 12), but we were still in bed after a late night seeing a concert. We didn't eat or have a drink at the hotel so I can't comment there. There were no problems storing our luggage on our day of arrival and departure. The hotel is around 2/3 minutes walk from Covent Garden, and Trafalgar Square is just at the end of the road (about 15 minute walk). I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I booked a theatre deal through hotel direct (very good) and it included a one night stay at this hotel and a ticket to see the Bodyguard on Friday 29th March. We booked two twin rooms.

The hotel is in brilliant location, very clean & modern.

One complaint – we tried checking in at 2pm (that’s check in time) and had to wait just under 10 minutes (fair enough) to get to the check in desk, finally got to the desk and were told that instead of having two twin rooms, we would have 2 single rooms & one twin room – the two single rooms were ready but we had to wait for the twin. I didn’t find the receptionist very friendly and she took ages to check us in! after waiting nearly 30 minutes to check in, we were told that our twin room wasn’t ready and we had to go stand out of the way – as this was a theatre break, we had plans and places to be! After a further 10 minute wait, our room was ready. Not awful service but could have been much better.

We also had the full breakfast included which was good. Very busy but all was well managed and the food good. Check out was very quick.

I will definitely be staying at this hotel again when booking another theatre deal!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed here on business for 7 nights and would certainly recommend the hotel. Really great value for the location.

Service was excellent. I arrived very early and wasn't able to check in immediately, but they got my room ready ahead of the normal check in time. I also had a problem with the safe in my room, and someone turned up within a few minutes and fixed it on the spot.

My room was small but very comfortable and well laid out. The sliding wooden shutters insulate the room brilliantly, keeping warmth in and noise and light out to ensure a good night's sleep. Interior walls seemed less effective, but fortunately my neighbours were quiet.

My only gripe was that the wi-fi seems a bit patchy, meaning that I couldn't connect when seated at the small desk. This meant hunching over my laptop in bed, which certainly wasn't ideal.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Location:
Excellent location, pretty much right beside trafalgar square and Buckingham palace.Also within walking distance of Oxford street. We got free travel cards for the tube and this was really handy and saved us a few pounds.

Room:
The room was really nice and big, although since it was facing the front of the hotel it was kind of loud at night.

Staff:
The main criticism I have about this hotel is the check-in staff, at least the person who checked us in. He seemed very fed up and bored and didnt even say hello, even though the hotel was relatively quiet. Altough not a major issue, it did make me feel uncomfortable. The concierge staff however, were extremely friendly and helpful. They helped me plan my journey on the tube and when I got back to the hotel in the evening remembered me and asked how my day was. The mask bar staff were also very nice.

Room Tip: We got one facing the front of the hotel and from the floor plan on the door, these look like the la...