Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar
Ranked #200 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Like home!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Great option to stay while in London. Extraordinary location, really close to every attraction and only 3 blocks from the Picadilly underground station and 2 from The Big Bus stop. Despite being in a central area your room seems to be miles away from the hustle and bustle of London.
Coming back late from theatre and dinner was not an issue, lots of tourists, and fantastic neighbourhood.
Breakfast was delicious, staff friendly. What else can you ask? Would definitely come back!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Central London is a noisy, brash, noisy, hectic, noisy place. Did I mention it's noisy? Turns out it doesn't have to be... Although this hotel is literally just moments away from Leicester Square (you can see the corner of the M&M World building when you stand outside the hotel and look up the road) it's an oasis of quiet in the middle of the chaos.

We arrived just after noon, nearly two hours ahead of the regular check-in time, and asked if we might leave a bag at the desk while we went out for the afternoon. We were pleasantly surprised when we were told that a room was already ready, and that we were welcome to make use of it immediately.

Our room (603) had a large king-size bed and an ensuite shower room. Free fast wi-fi came as standard, and we made good use of it during our stay. From the window, we could see The Gherkin and The Shard on the horizon, above a mish-mash of rooftops. Best of all, there was little of the constant street noise that is the norm in central London, because the streets directly surrounding the hotel are quiet with very light traffic, especially at night.

It's impossible to over-emphasize just how convenient the location is if you're planning to take in a number of shows in the space of a day or two. We had both matinee and evening performances to go to, yet we had plenty of time to come back to the room and relax in between since the hotel was less than 5 minutes walk from venues in the Piccadilly/Leicester Square area.

The only downside would be that you end up paying something of a premium for the location, and the peace and quiet. Our room was about 25% dearer than other similar quality hotels we've stayed at (near Shepherd's Bush, and near Earls Court) would have been for the same night - but we concluded that the premium was well worth paying after such a good experience.

Tip: the "Eat Tokyo" restaurant almost directly across from the hotel (about 25m down the street) serves a wide range of authentic, delicious Japanese food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Edwin H
St Peter Port, Guernsey,
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 22 March to 26 March 2013. It has a great location about 100 meters down from Leicester Square and a very convenient base for exploring Picadilly, Regent Street, Oxford Street, Theatre Land etc. The front desk staff were welcoming and helpful, the room was fab, the service and food were both excellent and it was very good value. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Greeted by smiling , friendly staff who were attentive throughout the stay we were bowled over by the attention and service which is surprising nowadays. City centre hotel rooms are typically small and this is no exception but this was comfortable, quiet, clean and all that you want for an easy relaxing stay. Good breakfast with good service. As other reviewers have said, this is what you expect from a hotel and what other (Thistle) hotels should model themselves on. We will definately stay again when visiting London, if, after all these positive reviews, we can get in that is!

Room Tip: Generally all sides are quiet, just opt for a higher room at the back if you want extra quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Adenjo
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed April 11, 2013

First of all, I would just like to say that I am extremely impressed with the management of the Thistle and how they operate.

I must say, when I first went to the hotel one of their staff members made a mistake and after I brought it up to management, they quickly corrected it. So goes to show you that you can't judge anything via one bad apple. I think every business makes mistakes once in awhile but it is how they correct it that makes a huge difference. Their manager Kalyan is exceptional as he really understood the issues from a hotel guest standpoint and made things as easy as possible whereas you often times hear people say "according to our policies etc. etc. etc. like this is some government agency dealing with taxes", Kalyan was patient and sort of thinks from a customers perspective in solving problems and provided solutions.

Location- The location is great and is 2 min walk to Leicester Square, 2 minute walk to the National Museum at Trafalgar Sq and 5 mins to Covent Garden. What is great is that the hotel is on a small street so you are right in the middle of the action but its still quiet. Directly across the hotel has some convenient stores and a barber etc. so you can find everything you need via a quick walk.

Service- The service was remarkable. The maid comes to your room twice a day to clean up and it feels like all the staff goes out of their way to remember your names. I was amazed at how courteous the servers were at the restaurant. One of them (a gal whom I dont remember her name) would actually remember that I liked wheat toast without butter and once as I arrived late for breakfast, she noticed that I was rushing to make the cut off that she apologized (eventhough it is not her fault but mine for showing up late) and asked if I wanted to bring the tea and toast upstairs so I had more time. Many other people would have said "sorry but you need to leave in 3 minutes" and rushed you out the door but she actually tried to find a solution to the problem which is very refreshing.

Value- I have stayed in numerous hotels in london and I think overall it is a FANTASTIC value. Look direclty on the hotel website as they often times have specials for Easter etc. I stayed 2 days extra as they had a easter special which included free breakfast etc. Due to the location, I think I saved about 30 pounds a day in just cab fares as the location is so central that you can pretty much walk to anywhere in central london. Also, the hotel provides free wifi which is nice. I visited my friend who stayed at the Douchester and paid 4x more money for the room and had to pay 15 pounds a day for wifi.

Cleaniless- The rooms were very clean and it seems like they remodelled fairly recently. The beds, desks, wash room etc. were all fantastic.

All in all, i HIGHLY RECOMMEND staying here as not only were the facilities great but the service was spectacular. LIttle things for me go a long way and you can tell that the staff thought through all the little details to make things as easy as possible and when a mistake was made, the management didnt just ignore you but would proactively fix a problem.

Great job Thistle Team! Thanks for the wonderful experience. I will be back again soon

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David L
Sibenik
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I spent only one night there, but since I just came from a terrible hotel where I spent 5 days I was sorry to leave so soon. The hotel is in a great location, very clean and comfortable room, all staff friendly, perfect service, and special praise for the concierge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Middlewich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hotel perfect location, staff all friendly and hotel very clean, great breakfast and would recommend. We are going back later this year. Trafalgar Square just around the corner and close to Soho, Covent Garden and China Town so plenty of choice for dining out. We did not eat in the restaurant so can not comment

• Stayed March 2013