Central London is a noisy, brash, noisy, hectic, noisy place. Did I mention it's noisy? Turns out it doesn't have to be... Although this hotel is literally just moments away from Leicester Square (you can see the corner of the M&M World building when you stand outside the hotel and look up the road) it's an oasis of quiet in the middle of the chaos.
We arrived just after noon, nearly two hours ahead of the regular check-in time, and asked if we might leave a bag at the desk while we went out for the afternoon. We were pleasantly surprised when we were told that a room was already ready, and that we were welcome to make use of it immediately.
Our room (603) had a large king-size bed and an ensuite shower room. Free fast wi-fi came as standard, and we made good use of it during our stay. From the window, we could see The Gherkin and The Shard on the horizon, above a mish-mash of rooftops. Best of all, there was little of the constant street noise that is the norm in central London, because the streets directly surrounding the hotel are quiet with very light traffic, especially at night.
It's impossible to over-emphasize just how convenient the location is if you're planning to take in a number of shows in the space of a day or two. We had both matinee and evening performances to go to, yet we had plenty of time to come back to the room and relax in between since the hotel was less than 5 minutes walk from venues in the Piccadilly/Leicester Square area.
The only downside would be that you end up paying something of a premium for the location, and the peace and quiet. Our room was about 25% dearer than other similar quality hotels we've stayed at (near Shepherd's Bush, and near Earls Court) would have been for the same night - but we concluded that the premium was well worth paying after such a good experience.
Tip: the "Eat Tokyo" restaurant almost directly across from the hotel (about 25m down the street) serves a wide range of authentic, delicious Japanese food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay in a hidden gem that’s just around the corner from the hustle and bustle of Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, Soho and Covent Garden. You can make yourself at home in one of our 108 en-suite rooms, dine al fresco on the terrace, or relax with a drink in our stylish, comfortable lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Trafalgar, London Hotel London
- Royal Trafalgar By Thistle London
- Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar London, England