1,798 results
All reviewsnational gallerygreat locationwest endquiet streetjunior suitecovent gardencharing crosshuge bedcentral locationwithin walking distancetheatre landlondon eyefree upgradeexcellent hotelstandard roomreception staffdefinitely stay here again
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had a free night here as I work in the travel industry and I was very happy with the service I received. I stayed here for 1 night with my boyfriend as we were watching Matilda that evening and going to the Ice Bar the following day. Our room was perfect, huge bed nicely decorated, modern tv, small bathroom but adequate. Hotel location was perfect, during the afternoon we walked to the London Eye, Trafalgar Square, Downing Street etc. The next day we left our bags at reception whilst we went to the Ice Bar and some more sightseeing for the day. Breakfast the next morning was nice, standard buffet or continental, staff were friendly. The only disappointment was when we checked out we kindly asked reception if they could order us a taxi to London Victoria station. About 25 minutes past until the concierge then told us to follow him as he went running up the road to call a taxi. We thanked him politely only for him to reply 'I am very busy you know' which we didn't expect.
This hasn't put us off staying at the hotel, but felt it should be noted. Overall though, a pleasent stay and I will use Thistle hotels in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kathrue
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Took my mum for afternoon tea, the staff were very friendly & helpful. The sandwiches & cakes were plenty for the two of us. We were offered top up tea's or coffee's. We sat outside as it was warm for a change.

Room Tip: Only had afternoon tea
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Herby69
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Booked a 3 night stay in a standard room but upgraded to a exec on arrival. I think the hotel has just been refurbished as everywhere looked brand new. Room was spacious and stylish with a huge bed and considering you are in the heart of the West End it was very quiet. Had the breakfast on the terrace in the morning which was well presented with a friendly prompt service. I found service very natural and professional from reception and concierge through to the chamber maids.

Overall best value for location and will definatelyt be coming back.

Room Tip: Upgrade for £20 well worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Harvey24
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Having stayed in other Thistle hotels we pretty much got what we expected but a couple of issues marred the experience. On returning to our room quite late in the evening, we found that the door hadn't locked behind us - we were able to open it without the key. We tested the lock from the inside but it seemed to only work intermittently. When we phoned reception to report the issue (and hopefully get it fixed) the staff member on the phone was condescending (suggesting that we were doing something wrong) and not particularly helpful. Eventually another member of staff came up who was also insistent at first that we were at fault and not particularly apologetic or even interested when we proved that there was a fault. I accept that these things happen but I do expect hotel staff to be able to demonstrate better customer service than that. We were also annoyed that the bar was closed when we got back to the hotel (at 11.30) having asked at Reception earlier in the day what time it would be open until and told confidently that it would be open until midnight. Breakfast was ok but again, service was a little indifferent - not the usual attentiveness that we've experienced in other Thistle hotels. As we've found with other Thistle hotels, the room was very small and the bathroom tiny but very clean with a decent shower. Only other small gripe is that I found the heavy quilt far too hot for the time of year (and the air conditioning wasn't adjustable enough to compensate). Overall, the experience hasn't put us off Thistle hotels in general but can't help feeling that this one isn't particularly well run so probably won't be going back next time we're in London.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TeamFM
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Dear TeamFM

Thank you for the feedback on the Royal Trafalgar Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the fault with the lock on your door. I fully appreciate your concern with the time taken to resolve this issue and am sorry for the inconvenience caused. We have recently replaced all our locks as part of a full refurbishment of the hotel and I believe this was an isolated incident.

I have also noted your comments on breakfast and apologise again for the service you received. Please be assured that we do take all guest feedback seriously and this experience has been shared with the team to ensure we deliver a more consistent service in the future.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review.

Kindest regards

Richard O'Riordan

Reviewed June 26, 2012

The convenient location is the ONLY reason to choose the Royal Trafalgar. Supposedly new, it's just been made tighter and tackier. Examples: during the day only one elevator works, causing jam-ups galore (we were there for 8 days, so it's not just accidental). The first 4 days the hotel entrance was blocked; entrance was through the bar. The bathroom was so small, you had to lean over the trash bin to brush your teeth! The crowning insult was an insistent alarm which caused breakfast room staff to evacuate everyone from the room, marched us two blocks, in the rain, up the street to the 'sister' hotel. We hung around the lobby for 15 minutes and the staff walked us back. No explanation. No "I'm sorry, here is a voucher for a cocktail" - Anything! Avoid this place!

Room Tip: The prices were very high (and they even tried to charge us twice for an "upgrade".) Some rooms were adjacent to a construction site.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Annjudith
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear Annjudith

Thank you for the comments on your stay at the Thistle Hotel Royal Trafalgar.

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your visit and for the inconvenience caused by the refurbishment that was being completed in the hotel at the time. Although I appreciate it is of little consolation, we have now finished the upgrade to of all our 108 bedrooms, as well as all our public areas, restaurant and lifts.

We have genuinely received very positive feedback on our new bedrooms and facilities so I do hope you may consider this an isolated incident.

Thank you once again.