“Great .. but ...”

Ranked #15 of 1,067 Hotels in London
American in Europe
“Great .. but ...”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

In time there is no reason this should not be a great hotel, it has an excellent location and a real eye for visual detail. As a few others have mentioned there is a disconnect between the hotel branding and the staff. More than once I struggled to make myself understood in english and the response to a request for a White Wine Spritzer was comical. Room tech was a little bit over-complex, plug in sink did not work, some seating way too low in bar and restaurant. This was annoying but not a game changer. The restaurants and bars are all separated so there is little of the buzz you would get in grander hotels - the lobby is more of a pass through. The price was top of the range but while the service is sincere it is not yet genuine.

5 Thank norfolk23
MatthiasRoeke, Managing Director at Rosewood London, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear norfolk23,

Thank you very much indeed for sharing your review.

I am so pleased to read that you liked the design and style of the hotel. We place a huge emphasis on our ‘sense of place’ ethos so I’m glad that you found the local area to your liking.

I regret to hear that communication was an issue. As a collective, our associates speak over thirty languages to accommodate all guests. We do provide English classes to ensure that communication with our predominant clientèle, whom are English speakers, is achieved as impeccably. This was clearly not the case in your experience and I extend my sincere apologies for the annoyance. I have spoken with my team to look at ways that we can ensure this doesn't reoccur.

I am terribly sorry that your bathroom plug was not working. Given the opportunity we would of course rectify this as soon as it was highlighted. Nonetheless, this shouldn't have been the case.

I appreciate your comments with regards to Scarfes Bar, Holborn Dining Room and the Mirror Room. Each of the outlets has a completely different philosophy to allow for all tastes and occasions. There is an element of separation and I’m sorry that you felt this retracted from the buzz.

I really do hope that you might return to stay with us on a future trip to London. Please do contact me directly and I would be glad to make the arrangements for you.

I hope to meet you personally in the not too distant future.

Sincerely
Matthias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Had the most wonderful stay at Rosewood. Staff polite and helpful. Rooms immaculate and spacious. Bedding of the highest quality. Food delicious and caters for all tastes. The little touches are what makes this hotel one if the best in London. Thank you to all for making it such a memorable stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pages1234
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Gorgeous decor, wonderful breakfast, comfortable bed and beautiful room. The staff are attentive and charming. Check in was relaxed but efficient. Will definately return. Thank you to the Rosewood for making a birthday celebration very special.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014

What a beautiful hotel. I have just returned from a fabulous stay and would rate this new hotel up there with the best in London. It is the first European outpost of the US run Rosewood group and occupies the building which originally housed Pearl Assurance and more recently the Chancery Court Hotel. It is a majestic belle epoque structure which presents a grand sense of arrival as you sweep through the archway into its smart Edwardian courtyard. Décor within mixes English manor house with Asian influences and the whole place oozes understated class and elegance. My 6th floor room was extremely spacious especially for London, chic, well equipped, and wonderfully light and airy due to the huge picture window, though the hotel doesn't occupy a view location so the outlook wasn't noteworthy. The large beds are divine, very comfortable with sumptuous linen. Check-in was faff & formality free and staff charming and highly professional throughout the hotel. I particularly loved the glitzy Mirror Room (for drinks/light meals/afternoon tea) though the main library style bar Scarfes is also a great space and popular with non-residents too, as is the laid back buzzy brasserie which serves breakfast through to dinner. Service was excellent at both sessions though some of the tables are a bit too close for comfort. To conclude, this is a stunning new addition to the London hotel scene and very much 5 stars.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank mrstraveller1
Reviewed April 12, 2014

After moving away from London I needed to be there for business - typical! The normal hotels I stay in were fully booked and so Rosewood was recommended to me.

On arriving, check-in was easy and quick. Room was very comfortable and I got a good night's sleep. Bathroom was great. Room had a big TV and the hotel ironed my shirt for me in 10 minutes for free - a very welcome touch!

Will be back!

2 Thank dawsjam
Lancashire
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This was our first visit to the hotel. We had read a review a few weeks ago in one of the national papers where they marked them down badly for poor service, but I have to say that the whole experience was excellent. Everything about the hotel just exudes quality, and the staff who looked after us were first class, especially the fantastic Phillipo who looked after us at breakfast. Everything is pricey as you would expect for a hotel of this quality, but we came away well pleased with our experience over our two night stay. The only negative we had was the fact that the room we were given had a connecting door to the room next door. Not a problem on the first night, but when we returned to our room on the second night around midnight, the people next door had decided to have a social get together with friends and were making quite a bit of noise. However, when I phoned down to reception to complain, the person I spoke to promised to contact the duty manager and the noise seemed to stop within five minutes and we slept well after that. They could also have done better with doors that close softer to the rooms, but that's a minor thing really. The location is good as well as it's two minutes from Holborn tube station where you can get on the Central and Piccadilly lines. Great food, fabulous cocktails and wonderful service so we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without connecting door to next door