“Best of both worlds”

Ranked #15 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Best of both worlds”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed at the hotel when it first opened back in October for 3 nights and have to say I was blown away. I found it to be a combination of being elegant and discreet, as well as contemporary yet with a strong sense of heritage the historic building and setting evoke. I confess I had room service most nights as I was there on business and was impressed with the International menu options (very good). Whilst I did take the opportunity for both 1 business meeting for lunch and 1 for dinner i couldn't help but enjoy taking the credit for introducing my guests to "the place". Logistically I found it extremely comfortable moving throughout London and occasionally touching base during the day. Lastly, I found the service and the overall enviorment well prepared and friendly which made for a relaxed "unstuffy" setting. Definitely the new direction of luxury..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael F
MDRoeke, Managing Director, Rosewood London at Rosewood London, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Michael F,

Thank you very much indeed for your complimentary review !

Achieving the definition of luxury without being stuffy is most definitely an objective of ours and I’m very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. Now that we have opened our newest Restaurant, Holborn Dining Room and are launching Scarfes Bar, I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return for a visit soon.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Paris, France
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I spent only one night in this wonderful hotel and i wish i could spend more time in this very comfortabe and cosi place.
The rooms are very comfortable and the light is perfectly balanced. the choice of each material is very wise.
The service in the hotel is perfect, people are really kind, the restaurant is also really good and the breakfast is amazing with a very smart way to organize the buffet.
You have a better experience of London for business or tourism if you can stay in a place like that !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank leafromparis
Dear Leafromparis,

Perfection is quite the endorsement ! I am very grateful indeed for your kind comments !

I do hope we have to opportunity to welcome you back soon !

Many thanks again and with my best regards.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stayed at the Rosewood London end of last year and it is great to have such a nice hotel in this area. The Deluxe rooms are really spacious and very well designed. The Bar and Lounge are great and I am looking forward to staying again soon and experience their gastronomic restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Luc,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and extend my sincere thanks for the kind comments !

We have now opened our latest restaurant, Holborn Dining Rooms so I very much look forward to welcoming you back.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I went to this hotel on New Years Eve with some friends and I have to say we all loved it! The rooms were lovely the bar and the bar food was fab, the staff were professional and helpful.
I stayed at this hotel earlier on in the year when it was under a different name.
Wow what a difference:) the refurbishment has been done so well. I would definately recomend staying here, in fact we will be back again soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Frances W,

Thank you very much indeed for your review !

I am so glad that you like the change ! Hopefully we will have the opportunity to have the pleasure of your return soon.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Rosewood London is one of the nicest hotels I've had the privilege of staying at recently. The property is part of a new generation of ultra luxury hotels in which a sense of place and unique service amenities are highly valued. The design is both traditional, paying homage to the historic structure, and modern and luxurious in a timeless way. Public spaces are immaculately kept and have design features I haven't seen anywhere else like a stunning rose bronze entry vestibule corridor. The Scarf bar up front is more traditional and incredibly cozy. At the time of my stay the spa wasn't yet complete, nor was the fine dining restaurant but both are sure to be promising.

The service at the Rosewood is excellent. There is a front desk, but the staff anticipated our arrival and checked us in at the room so there was no need to go to the desk. Everyone knew our names from arrival onward. While the arrival experience was a tad overwhelming with so many people greeting us, overall the service is incredibly discreet and among the most professional and informed I've experienced. The staff followed up with any request within minutes, and all were very well informed about the details of the hotel, as well as information about London, nearby restaurants, etc. The staff also made suggestions that I wouldn't even think of. When I said I was going downstairs to meet some friends at the bar, the concierge on his own decided to arrange for a perfect cozy table near the fireplace, unexpected and unnecessary but such a nice touch. Our suite came with a butler who was professional and courteous and clearly had been working in five star hotels for quite a while.

Despite all of this over the top service, and an immaculate physical property, the whole hotel manages to feel luxurious without being stuffy or pretentious. It is in an incredibly welcoming place and really feels very London, right down to the perfectly designed staff uniforms (tweed blazers, plaid pants, knit ties, etc.).

We did not have the opportunity to eat much at the hotel, but the morning breakfast was a beautiful buffet spread in the "Mirror room" (all day dining). The buffet itself spanned three rooms (kind of unnecessary, seemed more for the design element of it than actual need to spread it out that much), and was beautiful, fresh and delicious, aside from far too runny scrambled eggs.

The suite itself was perfectly furnished, in mostly gray tones, with lots of natural wool fabrics and the highest quality linens and towels, and some great natural wood pieces too. There is a slight Asian influence in the design. The bar included some complementary drinks (not sure if this is the case in a standard guest room) and every amenity possible to entertain in suite. I did pop into a regular guest room, and while not as opulent in size, it featured similar top notch interior design that was at the same time clean, modern and traditional. Rooms are not overstuffed and include a minimum of art, allowing for beautiful high quality pieces, and the existing architecture to speak for itself. A few small complaints: the housekeeping staff kept relocating the hairdryer making it hard to find since after turndown service it was put in a different place from where it was to begin with (and its original location was odd too... in one of the bedroom bedside tables). Also, the very beautiful shower leaked a lot onto the bath floor, so a larger bath mat is needed, and in our room the marble was very close to beautiful hardwood so staff will need to watch this carefully to make sure it doesn't become a maintenance issue. Also, there is hardly anywhere to hang a towel in the bathrooms. Maybe there is the expectation that the service is so frequent that the towels will be replenished at least twice a day, but it still seemed odd to only have one real towel hook in a very large opulent bathroom. The rest of the towels were folded or rolled in different locations, but nowhere to hang them once wet. The tub is also behind the shower in an enclosed "wet area" which is a cool feature in concept. In reality, it means water splashes into the tub while you're taking a shower so if a couple wanted to shower and take a bath at the same time, this would be an unpleasant experience for the person in the bathtub. The bath did have a very cool flat screen TV hidden within the mirror, and all of the marble, fixtures and rich tiles were beautiful.

Finally, the location... This place is in a great spot if you are working in London and want proximity to fun walkable areas like Soho, and Covent Garden. I much prefer the vibrancy and convenience of this to some of the "posher" residential neighborhoods to the West like Knightsbridge and Kensington where much of Rosewood's competition exists. The street itself that Rosewood is on is not particularly beautiful, or fancy, just an average commercial street, but the internal entry courtyard obscures this fact. This spot really is a quick tube ride, walk, or cab ride to MANY great areas of London.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are very quiet. I doubt many of the rooms here have a real "view&qu...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank EvanSK85
Dear EvanSK85,

My apologies that it has taken some time to reply to your review. I am much obliged that you have taken the time to invest so much detail. Your compliments are most gratefully appreciated.

Now that we have opened our latest restaurant, Holborn Dining Room- I do hope that we have the pleasure of your return soon !

I have read through your comments in detail and will of course be discussing the feedback with my team.

Once again EvanSK85, many thanks indeed.

With all my best.

Miami, USA
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Not easy to define the Rosewood brand, due to the variety of properties and their specific styles. You are therefore never sure what to expect, other than high end service in a property which often feels more like a home than a hotel (Carlyle NYC, former Acqualina Miami, etc...)
In this case, only 3 months after converting from a Radisson hotel, the place immediately sets the tone when you past the gate into the courtyard of the Rosewood London. It is grand and very stylish.
A wood fire on the ground welcomes you out of your black cab. Very British dressed bell staff along with front desk and concierge kill with kindness and attention.
The common areas are as Londonian as it gets, from the well decorated lobby to the beautiful pub. The restaurant has a bit more cold atmosphere unless you request a table by the fire place.
Our room with two beds was spacious and had a great floor to ceiling window bay. Great when you think that we were there for New Year's eve and had front row view on the fireworks. Bathroom has perfect amenities, The overall sense is modern, yet with touches of classicism,
So why did I hesitate with the 5 rating ? Room service was a bit disappointing. The dumplings were so salty that we left them. The rest of the order was average. And I had to call 3 times to get the dishes removed when we were done. I still rank it atop because it is young enough of a hotel that the need for fine tuning is still acceptable. Something to watch for in the next reviews.
My take on value is perfect as we were lucky enough to find it on a 3rd party web site at a very reasonable launching offer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Overseasintl
Dear Overseasintl,

Thank you kindly for the candid review and my apologies for the delay in my reply.

I greatly appreciate your kind comments with regards to the associates and the hotel as a whole. I am sorry to hear that we fell short on the in-room dining provision. This is something that I have addressed and I do hope that on your return, you will see a significant improvement.

Please do let me know should you wish to return and I will be most glad to meet you !

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Like Rachel 2804, my wife and I stayed here on New Years Eve with our two children in adjoining rooms, which was a perfect arrangement - & what rooms they were! Large, clean, bright & modern with tasteful decor and, again as mentioned by Rachel2804, probably the most comfortable bed I've ever experienced. It wasn't our normal type of hotel (we are more used to Premier Inns!) - but the staff could not have made us feel more welcome. Taking us up and handling check-in procedures inside our rooms was a particularly lovely touch, particularly as we arrived two and a half hours before the normal check-in time, expecting to leave our bags with the concierge and return later. The only (minor) criticism I have is that the bath water was extremely slow to drain away - no real hardship but a little strange.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Daveycrock
Dear Dave G,

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us over New Year !

I’m so glad to hear that for the most part, everything was to your satisfaction. As the building reaches its centurion, although we have replaced the nuts and bolts, there are a few things that unfortunately we cannot help but I’m glad to hear that it didn’t hinder your enjoyment !

We hope to welcome you and the family back soon !