“Flawless, and I never say that”

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #78 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
“Flawless, and I never say that”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I give this place top marks (and I nearly ALWAYS have something to complain about). This hotel is extremely convenient for the theatre district, my room had stunning views over the Coliseum and Trafalgar. Chic, clean, well thought out rooms, really comfortable beds, great linen. And in a total first for London: spotless carpeting in the room. The first Starck hotel I really liked. The staff was hugely helpful and capable, yet trendy and well presented. Check-in delightful, bellboys wonderful, bar staff accommodating and flexible, concierge creative and helpful. I liked it so much I came back after a week (and cancelled my other hotel booking). Well done!

Room Tip: Even the standard size rooms are decent. The deluxe are spacious. Upper floor better.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Philip E

It is a delight to read your glowing review, thank you for giving us top marks. We are so glad you loved so much about St Martins Lane and that our central location, comfortable rooms and sleek design combined with our friendly service helped to make your stay so memorable. Please come back to see us again as we would love to welcome you back. When you are planning to make a booking please email me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com so that I can personally oversee your stay.

Nicole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Had yet another return visit to St Martin's Lane Hotel and I have never been disappointed. Despite it's uber chic appearance the staff are very relaxed, helpful and friendly. I had chosen a different room type this time which didn't suit but they happily moved me quickly which was appreciated. The rooms are flawless and the crisp linen and mood lighting is lovely to come back to after a long day pounding the London streets. The location is excellent and perfect for shopping with Covent Garden and Regent St close by. Definitely will be back again.

Room Tip: Perhaps check what the view is from the room as one facing St Martin's Laneis bright and sunny.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear pumpkinmum

I am so glad to hear you had another enjoyable stay at St Martins Lane and am delighted that you found our rooms to be the relaxing haven you needed after a long day out in London. We appreciate your kind review and look forward to seeing you again, please let me know when are you planning to return so that I can personally oversee your stay. My email address is nicole.messham@mhgc.com and I look forward to hearing from you.

United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Pros:
Excellent location
Near the underground
Close to boutique shops
Short ride to Oxford street
Walking distance to theatres and some tourist attractions
You can use the gym box
Clean hotel
Excellent cleaning staff
Courteous doormen

Cons:
Reception staff can be impolite and snooty
Room service food was OK
Room phone randomly rang numerous times - distracting if working
One memember of room service let himself into the room without knocking! (Good job I wasn't naked!)
Can be rather noisy at the weekend - people screaming outside in the street
Would not class this as a 5* there are better hotels for the money
Pretty basic hotel rooms
No tea or coffee facilities in the room

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear blancoVaz

Thank you for your review as we always like to receive feedback whether positive or negative. We always aim to exceed expectations so I am sorry that your experience at St Martins Lane was not as enjoyable as we would hope.

I would love to make sure your next visit to St Martins Lane leaves you with the fondest memories so please email me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com when you have a date in mind to return. I look forward to welcoming you back to St Martins Lane.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2014

To start with. We had some mis-communication regarding disable room and I had to make a formal complaint prior arrival of the hotel. When I arrive, I have to say, the service was great. From the door man to receptionist to house keeping. Everyone is nice.

The decor of the hotel was great. However, I dont know whether they tried to keep the original decor of 'historic' decor of this old office block / cinema, the flooring and the lift were a bit run down. The room was small. The sound isolation was POOR. I could hear the neighbor very clearly. The water power was good. The tiles, cupboard, mirrors are all chipped despite this was a newly decorated room. I must admit this is a 5 star hotel with 3 star decor. There are definitely better and cheaper hotel. Bed / Mattress was quite hard.

Location was fantastic I have to say.

Overall, this is a 4 star experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank DrSYu
Dear DrSYu

Thank you for your kind words about the great service you received at St Martins Lane, we always aim to serve our guests in a fun, friendly and gracious manner so your review is much appreciated.

I am sorry that you were not impressed with your room and I would like the opportunity to change your opinion so please contact me directly when you are planning another visit so I can personally make sure your next stay exceeds your expectations. My email address is nicole.messham@mhgc.com and I hope to hear from you soon.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Perhaps trying to be a little too chic for its own good, the Saint Martin's Lane is a high-quality hotel in a terrific location. Its assets are location (theaters restaurants and subway a block away), service, and cleanliness. And if you're actually going to use the gym on vacation like you said you were, then a big asset is a massive gym (Gym Box) right next door, complimentary for guests. Some may be a little off-put upon entry to the hotel. Even though I relish modern design, I wasn't sure if I'd entered an office building or a hospital. This may not be important for many, but I like a hotel's lobby to be inviting and warm with a certain ambiance, despite my modern tastes. The other thing that bothered me (this is not an inexpensive hotel), is that some of the modern features seem to have been done on the cheap, or just getting long in the tooth. The hallways were lacking in refinement or were worn. It seems a can of pastel paint colors was the extend of "modernizing" some areas. (See pictures.) Although pristine, the tile in the lobby is worn. The uneven quality of the craftsmanship and aethestic vision of the hotel made it feel misaligned and unrefined in areas.

The rooms are well-appointed and super clean in a stark aesthestic. I was in a very good sized corner king. The nice cleaning staff is almost obsessive with making sure everything is immaculate. The soap/shampoo products are very good (Malin+Goetz). The bed is comfortable, but not the most comfortable I've been in. The pillows, however, were large and nicely firm. The white lamenated swivel TV stand/mini bar was a little hokey and reminded me something my dad would have made for me when I was a kid.

The power conversion options weren't built in, and the only outlets in the main room were on the floor by the desk in the front of the room. (See picture) There was an iPhone port on the desk, but it was for older models, so it was useless. Because hotels in the UK do not have outlets for hairdryers in the bathroom, it was a hassle walking across the hotel room to plug in the hairdryer cord into the floor outlets. An outlet on a wall closer to the bathroom would have made more sense.

The aformentioned negatives are minor yet collectively irritating for a one who expects only the best from a modern/hip hotel in this price range. I've been in London hotels of this ilk that are far more refined and updated. But here you have the location.

All in all a very nice hotel in a terrific area, albiet a tad contrived, sometimes lacking in the inviting modern refinement and hipness it's trying desperately to achieve.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Andrew C, Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear John O

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at St Martins Lane.

I wished that I had known that you were coming to stay with us as I would have loved to have had the opportunity of sharing with you the original design ethos and vision of Ian Schrager and Philippe Starck when they were creating St Martins Lane and what the Hotel will look like when we take what they have created and shaken it up a bit (and added some ‘warmth’).

You may be aware from our responses to previous reviews that St Martins Lane is going through a period of transition. To date nearly 45% of our bedrooms have undergone a considerable refresh (including the corridors) with another 15% due to be completed next month – our rooms are being worked on floor by floor by a team of experienced Hotel contractors so the guest impact is zero, in terms of noise. Over the coming months our final two floors will be completed before our restaurant – Asia de Cuba and our Bar – Light Bar undergo significant changes in the New Year.

John O, thank you again for your comments and should you visit London again please do not hesitate to contact myself directly or Nicole, our Guest Experience so we can show off what has been done to this very original Hotel.

Yours sincerely
Andrew
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed July 3, 2014

This hotel is a nice gem of a place to stay, with great service, comfortable beds, and a fabulous location in the heart of the city. The decor was modern, fun, and relaxing. We ate at Asia de Cuba and found the service to be impeccable and the food tasty and well seasoned. They had to kick me out the door, as I would have stayed there forever.Loved it!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Terese29
Dear Terese29,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review, it is always a pleasure to receive such glowing feedback. I am delighted that you loved so much about St Martins Lane and our team in Asia de Cuba will be thrilled to read that you has such a good experience you didn't want to leave!

Please don’t leave it too long before you return as we would love to welcome you back. Please email me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com when you have a date in mind for your next stay so that I can personally oversee your experience.

Stockholm
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel! Personal service, relaxed atmosphere, a boutique hotel in a perfect location in central London. Delicious food in the reataurant "Asia de Cuba" and cocktails in the Light Bar is to die for...
Didn't want to leave! Can't wait to go back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Ulrikak67,

Thank you for your recent visit and for your wonderful review. I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations. It really sounds like you enjoyed all aspects of the hospitality we offer here at St Martins Lane.

It is great to read that you sampled the gorgeous delights in Asia de Cuba and ended the evening with cocktails in Light Bar - sounds like a perfect weekend! We hope you will join us again when you are next in London.

Please contact me when you are planning on returning, you can reach me on nicole.messham@mhgc.com.

See you soon I hope,