“Funky Hotel in a great Location (6 stars for location)”

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #78 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 19, 2013

this was a great hotel - really enjoyed it. From the outside does not look up to much but inside is just brilliant - so unlike most hotels you will visit. The reception is stark but works perfectly for this hotel - the check in staff were friendly and not too officious.

The hotel bar and restaurant were buzzing and if you do not fancy these then you are so centrally located you can go anywhere in a couple of minutes (Leicester Square - 2 minutes !!).

Room, bed and shower were excellent and the quirky television, mini bar in the shape of the cross is weird but sort of works. Checking out was relaxed and even though I was a little late checking out it did not bother them.

Would definitely go back anytime in London.

Room Tip: Room was pretty quiet and I was at the front so imagine all rooms would be quiet. Front rooms give b...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear GO

Thank you for your wonderful review.

Your arrival to St Martins Lane is exactly how Ian Schrager (Morgans Hotel Group founder) and Philippe Starck envisaged it would be all those years ago when the Hotel was in the planning stage, I am so pleased that you appreciated the experience.
I completely agree with your comment about Asia de Cuba and Light Bar – it is buzzing and a place to have fun however if it is not for you walk out the Front Door all of Covent Garden and the West End is on your doorstep with lot’s of choice available.
Morgans Hotel Group of which St Martins Lane is part of, prides itself on the style of service provided – very much like welcoming a guest into our own home.
The West End can be pretty raucous especially in the weekend however our double glazed floor to ceiling windows does make it pretty quiet. You are correct when you say that the back of the Hotel would be quieter however it is not as full for people watching.

Happy New Year

Warm regards,

Nicole Messham

Write a ReviewReviews (2,874)

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Our company had our global conference in London and those of us traveling from other markets were lucky enough to be booked into St Martins Lane. On arrival we were impressed by the very friendly and efficient service at check in. I was lucky enough to get an upgrade and was pleasantly surprised by how large my room was considering the central london location. Over the 4 nights I stayed there I had consistently good service throughout the hotel. The bar and restaurant weren't cheap but I guess that is what you expect to pay in Covent Garden and for that class of hotel. I don't know how much the rooms were as these were pre-paid. I guess my only criticisms were the lighting in the rooms is terrible and I was a bit annoyed to find they had charged an extra 25 pounds after I left for two waters (small) and an orange juice. Obviously the price of the items was massively inflated but it was more that they didn't send a note to tell me they had charged my credit card. I actually told them at check out that I had had two waters (not sure where the OJ came in) and they said they would get housekeeping to check as some items had already been added. When they didn't come back I assumed all was in order. Just a heads up would have been nice but overall a very good experience.

Room Tip: Choose a higher room to avoid noise from the street below.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Marni1973,
Thank you for submitting your review. You are absolutely correct; our staff is what really sets us apart from other hotels around the world. I am happy to see that the team made your hotel experience so delightful.We are glad that you enjoyed the central location of St Martins Lane and that our staff made you feel welcome during your time with us.We are about to start an exciting renovation project to update and refresh all areas within the hotel.We do hope you have the opportunity to return and experience our new hotel. If you need any help with future reservations please contact me directly I would love to oversee your next booking you can reach me on nicole.messham@mhgc.com.We do hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here in two separate stays in the last month, both for two days each and both in a king loft suite.

the hotel has a great location in the heart of the city, the service from the front desk to room service, porters, restaurants are excellent

we ate for breakfast in the restaurant and for dinner also - both excellent and good pricing

the hotel is chic but not over the top like some of the modern London hotels such as the W - which was truly dreadful

highly recommended for this or its sister hotel the Sanderson, great, great, great

keep up the good service !

Room Tip: the king loft suite is worth the extra money also be a little careful on pricing - room rates are p...

Dear Peter M,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel
and hope we will indeed have an opportunity to welcome you back again before too long. Thank you for your thorough, enlightening and motivating review. It is evident that you understand and have completely embraced the entire St Martins Lane experience we strive so hard to deliver.
I can’t wait to welcome you back please email me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com once you have made your booking so I can personally oversee your stay.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We are just home from another perfect stay at St. Martins Lane Hotel!

Returning to the hotel, I used the offer earlier made by the hotel manager, to inform about our visit. I mentioned that it was for my wife's birthday wich was really greatly taken into consideration. We were offered a nice welcome card and a wonderful bottle of red wine. Also my wish for a room on a high floor was fulfilled - we stayed at the top floor with a wonderful view over London. So we already got great service - before we even arrived.

The hotel again was of high quality. The rooms are well equipped and the bed was very good and gave us a very good sleep. Breakfast is of very high quality and service very friendly. Location is top and cannot be beaten. You are right in the heart of London and of everything. Bellmen very helpful - we had a problem with our transport to the airpoirt and they were really caring about us.

Only two little problems: The bar is always really full and it's impossible to find a table as an inhouse guest. And upon check-in we were again not informed correctly about our rate plan (incl. breakfast and wi-fi). Would be nice if check-in staff knows about rates and tells you what you get (and what not).

But apart from that - we just again had a great stay!

Dear Urs_rubli,
We are delighted that you chose to stay at St Martins Lane again and that you continue to love the experience each time you stay. Thank you for your comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel particularly on such a special occasion. I hope you will have an
opportunity to stay with us again when you are next in London and I look forward to welcoming
you back to, please let me know when you are planning to return and I would be more than happy to make reservations for you and guarentee a reservation in the bar to enjoy the extensive range of cocktails.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Hotel never dissapoints, stay here regularly on business, and the hotel and service is always impressive. Rooms aren't the biggest but are well arranged and the bathrooms and toiletries are really nice. The staff are incredibly responsive and can't do enough to get you anything you need. The bar and restaurant is very fashionable and quite lively with a great food and cocktail selection. Its a 3 min walk to Leicester Square tube.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Marcel G,
Thank you for your feedback in particular your very positive comments on the staff. The bar team are proud of their extensive knowledge and selection of cocktails.I hope
you will pick us again for a future stay and please email me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com.I would love to help you with any future bookings.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

great location (dinner, shopping, pretty), awesome style, great service - and also a good bar and restaurant..

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear BartD,
We’re delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel and appreciate your positive
comments on the ambience & style of the hotel.I hope you will pick us again for a future stay and please email me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com and let me know at that time.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed here for a birthday treat got a great deal from last minute .com as this was one if their secret hotels. Hotel was in a fantastic location just off Leicester Square so theatres and restaurants all within walking distance. Hotel rooms clean bright with a clever use of space. Everything you could need provided, beds very comfortable, had a great nights sleep and when requested tea and coffee making facilities they came so quickly I swear someone was waiting in the corridor with the tray! Whilst being shown to our room my husband happened to mention that we here for my birthday and to my delight after returning to our room after a night at the theatre someone had left a slice of cake with a candle and a lovely note wishing me a happy birthday which was so thoughtful so a big thank you to Nicole for your lovely gesture. Overall an excellent hotel which we would definitely recommend and look forward to staying there again soon.

Dear Debi65_12,
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed the central
location of St Martins Lane and that our staff made you feel welcome
during your time with us.Giving our guests a truly memorable visit is so important to us and to hear that our team have worked their magic and helped make your stay extra special is incredibly rewarding. Please make sure you come back to St Martins Lane soon as we are looking forward to welcoming you back. Please email me at Nicole.messham@mhgc.com when you are planning your next stay and I will make sure your next visit even more pleasurable.