“Very Modern - Loved it”

Ranked #79 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Modern - Loved it”
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I stayed at this hotel as a 2-night personal add-on to a business trip to London. Unfortunately my flight was very delayed and I missed the first night.

The outside of the building is not that impressive, but inside feels/looks more like some MOMA than a hotel. Check-in was quick, the concierge and desk staff were all very helpful answering my many questions. There was free gym pass to the full service "gym box" for the stay, but I was too tired to go.

The halls and elevators are barely lit with indirect, colored lighting. The elevators have small TVs playing stylized loops (old movie extracts). Rooms are not large, but all white, with modern accoutrements and indirect colored lighting if you want. My room had no real view. Bathroom is a glass and limestone (I think!) combination with modern fixtures (Great water pressure!). Flushing the toilet was interesting, you need to tap a metal fixture on the wall (not wave, press, touch, it only worked with a hard tap).

I also ate dinner at the restaurant, which was packed at 11PM. The portions were large and clearly tailored to non-single guests so they could share. Still it was good. The music was quite loud.

While I really enjoyed this place for a visit, (and I think I would return) I am certain I would not want to work in the room on my laptop due to the small desk provided.

• Liked — Modern decor
  • Disliked — Little work space in room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
IsabelleFowkes, Guest Experience Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2016
Thank you for your feedback from your stay St Martins Lane.

I am excited to let you know that since your stay with us we have had a stunning renovation and we now have a brand new bar, Blind Spot with bespoke cocktails and a hidden entrance. Asia de Cuba our iconic restaurant has had a make-over including a mouth-watering new menu and we also have a brand new cosy lounge area just off the lobby where you can enjoy a lovely coffee and game of chess.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Auckland
Reviewed June 21, 2008

The website for this hotel made it look chic and amazing, and the rooms looked like something else. We were very disappointed. The rooms were tiny and absolutely average. We stayed one night, had breakfast the next morning and a couple of drinks in the bar and the bill came to close to GBP500.00, which is way too much. We normally stay at the Hilton Park Lane and we will definitely being going back there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The overall price and pretentiousness
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michontour

Nottingham
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I booked this hotel for my boyfriend's birthday weekend and we both absolutely loved it. It's a very 'cool' hotel inside, decor etc but the staff were great. Reception was buzzing, the staff were very friendly, not snooty at all and very helpful about local places to eat. The food in Asia de Cuba was stunning although shockingly expensive and the bar next door did great cocktails. My only complaint would be with the size of the room we had. We booked the cheapest/standard double room which consisted of a double bed and about a metre of space around it to walk, besides the bathroom and the entrance. However, we loved it so much that we would definitely recommend it but if you like your space go for one of the larger more expensive rooms.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rach999

London, England
Reviewed May 27, 2008

The location and building are fine the staff are simply so self important and pretentious they are a joke.

Someone really needs to take them all down a peg or two. Its not as if the hotel is really top of the range, there are better ones in London.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The terrible service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
5 Thank 1362388

Roma
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Ok, the hall is really cool, the cocktail bar and the restaurant are really stylish but the point is that my room was not worth the price. Everything was fine and the bathroom was huge but I wanted something more for that high price.

An example: the TV was really tiny and there wasn't a mirror in front of our desk (you know, make up things for women).

This hotel is all about style and design, but there is an unexplainable lack of things and comforts that are standard even in lower class hotels.

• Liked — Design
  • Disliked — Comfort
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank pazcal

Finland
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Quite nice design hotel close to Trafalgar Square.
Service, rooms, food and so on were great.
The only problem was to actually find the hotel. For some reason there is no sign outside of the hotel so I had to call them to actually find the hotel.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Mobile_Eye

Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed May 9, 2008

This was the first time I stayed at the hotel, though I had dined at their Asia de Cuba restaurant about 8 years ago.

I remember at the time I was very impressed with the design of the lobby and the restaurant, showing the Philip Starck touch. Entering the hotel now I could see that very little had changed since. It is still very similar if not exactly the same as it was 8 years ago.

Staff at the reception were EXTREMELY polite and very helpful all around. Going up to the room I must say that though artistic I found the lifts a bit on the claustrophobic side...

The room was bright as it basically has glass external walls and the views of the area were magnificent. I must say that it was a bit on the small side but as I was there for business I didn't really mind. I checked the whole colour changing light thing behind the bed and all the gimmicks in the room which momentarily amused me...I must also stress that the room was spotlessly clean, probably the most important factor for me.

On the down side I found the mini-bar VERY expensive (4-5 pounds for a chocolate bar) and the TV extremely small for a supposedly high tech hotel.

Breakfast was satisfactory but I wasn't impressed. In addition seeing the Asia di Cuba restaurant in day light, somehow destroyed the image I had in my mind of the place...

All in all my general feeling was that the hotel, though it had no major problems, felt a bit neglected. It used to be an avant garde hotel and the stress now goes to "used to be". It does feel a bit dated and not so fresh anymore... Saying that I cannot stress enough the politeness and helpfulness of the staff.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Prices
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business