“Great location, modern vibe”

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #76 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at St. Martins Lane for nine nights in January 2013 on business. I would normally not be able to afford this class of hotel, so it was nice to know what 300 GBP buys you.

The hotel is very modern, with clean lines, sharp angles, and lots of glass, metal, and white walls. I almost felt like I wasn't cool enough to stay there. :)

My room, as these things are in London, was small (for this American), but probably average by London standards. The bed was perfect, very comfortable with a nice comforter. On nights that I wasn't getting over jet lag, I slept very well.

The bathroom was nicely appointed, and decent sized for London. The room had a flatscreen TV in a hutch above a mini bar. You can guess how expensive those items were.

In the entry hall was the only clothes-storage space: a small closet (but big enough for several shirts and sweaters), and four good-sized shelves on which to place the rest of your items. There are four hooks in the hall as well to hang your coat, scarf, etc.

Extras at the hotel were pricey, so beware of those charges you may rack up: 40GBP to park your car, 2.75GBP to make a local call, 20GBP for a nice, but cold, buffet breakfast, etc.

The hotel was minutes away from the Leicester Square Tube station and all of the attractions in the West End, so the location was right in the center of things. Plenty of food options just down the street, and more than you could possibly try in a fortnight within five minutes walk. Less than five minutes away is Trafalgar Square, so Parliament/Big Ben, and across the river to the London Eye are all walkable.

The front desk was very helpful and friendly, and very accommodating. I got a call after I had checked into my room after five minutes, to see how I was doing, and when I returned the room later that evening, found a nice handwritten note and some sweets to welcome me to the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Jesper_Soerensen, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for your very comprehensive and positive review, we are delighted that you enjoyed so many elements, including location and service. If we are aware of any disappointment with the room size, we are always happy to show alternative room types if availability allows. The car park is managed separately by NCP who set their own rates, and we regularly review other incidental charges to ensure we remain competitive. We hope you will have another chance to stay with us during 2013 and please let us know when you are next booked with us so that we can oversee your room allocation.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

E hotel is really nice central location for getting everywhere.
We had a lovely room on the 3rd floor very clean. The staff are really helpful and can not do enough for you. The bar and staff are fantastic Saturday night is e time to go. The down side, the breakfast, Sunday ,owning it was busy but they had numerous attempts at getting the table next to ours e right breakfast and when ours arrived it was cold as was e coffee and toast, @£25.00 a person you expect more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Elizabeth, we are so pleased that you had a good weekend in London and thank you for the lovely comments on location, service, Light Bar. Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment with breakfast service and quality and this will be discussed. We hope you have a chance to enjoy another weekend with us before too long and please let us know at that time so that we may oversee your stay.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Once we had decided the taxi driver wasn't mad we entered the hotel which didn't look or feel like a hotel and were greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist ...the theme of the hotel for me was very smart,well dressed staff who seemed to care ...the room was very good ...slightly different but that's good ...who wants Holiday Inn? And you must try the restaurant which gets its own review...it is no ordinary hotel restaurant it is bleedin lovely.....
The only let down was breakfast which was badly organised and chaotic but again the team whilst harassed and a wee bit stressed were very apologetic and the food when it eventually arrived was very good....
Thanks very much for an excellent stay.....

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

We have always been very passionate about creating a unique experience, both in terms of design and service, and it is lovely to know that you enjoyed the fun and friendly element of St Martins Lane. We are very sorry for any service issues with breakfast, and we will be reviewing service levels. It would be lovely to see you again when you are next in London, please do let us know when you have another reservation in place with us.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am surprised that people are raving so strongly about this hotel. We are Londoners but decided to have a night in town to have some couple time. We had a deal so we got a deluxe room at £195. Location is obviously good for Soho and most popular tourist areas.

I personally found it underwhelming. It is very "designed", using glass, shabby chic and minimalism to create an edgy space. The staff however were lacking. They seemed to never have been taught top quality service. They were friendly and nice but just didn't seem to have learned certain skills that would allow them to do their job in the best way. The receptionists checked us in very slowly, they seemed to struggle to make a seamless entrance, there is a lot of flapping which seemed to carry through any interaction we had.

The room was large and furniture minimalist but they haven't thought it through very well. There are visible wires to the tv and table. There are only 2 plugs on either side of the room. It is so badly laid out they provide you with an extension lead so you can use the hair dryer and look in the mirror.

The room had also just been painted which we could smell when we arrived.

In the morning we had to queue for breakfast, they had only set tables up in half their restaurant so it was one in one out until they worked out that they could lay more table. The manager was another person that wasn't really showing that she had the right skills. To bring a queue down she could seat several people in one area at one time but she took each couple across the restaurant individually. It was just the long way round. She also had to come back to take our order as the waiting staff seem chaotic and unaware of us. Classic line is that she was sorry but there is a massive queue for food in the kitchen but the good news was that we were in that queue - well I would hope so since we had ordered some food. It finally arrived, was wrong and one was stone cold. I just ate it because I couldn't be bothered to complain (little groggy from the night before). I did notice several other couples complaining the food was cold, service poor and generally frustrated.

All that said, it does the job, we didn't have any truly awful experiences, just underwhelming ones. I wouldn't go back, however my husband and I did decide that we were more classic that this hotel. The thing with modernism is that it gets to the point when it's had it's day and we felt that about this hotel. Vast, clean, tries a bit too hard to be cool but I didn't hate it, I just didn't feel that after being out in the cold shopping in busy London that I wanted to rush back to the hotel. It is not a home from home type of hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, guest feedback is always welcomed and it is disappointing if we did not create a ‘home away from home’ experience for you. We are dedicated to an original and authentic level of service and all members of staff are aware of our core values and ethos to ensure a seamless, welcoming guest experience. We are sorry for the issues with breakfast, we let you down in this area and the Food & Beverage Director will be reviewing with the restaurant team. We are planning various room refreshments later in the year to introduce more colour and comfort and hope you will consider staying with us again. Please let us know if you do have an opportunity to revisit us, we would be very pleased to oversee your reservation.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

First time I stayed in this hotel, which was recommended by colleagues (for its nice design and the vicinity to my company's office). And I will definitely come back:

My second floor room was spacious for London measure and the interior design & architecture made the best of the available space - with cleverly integrated TV, Radio and Minibar (all well hidden in a sleek white tower) and an in-the-wall-closet, covered with curtains.

Overall color scheme in this hotel is light white and the smart lightning design in the hotel allowed to change lights with your mood (pinkish, greenish, yellowish).

Coming back to my room in the evening, I used to find the small tea light in the bathroom was lightened which made me feel welcome.

The room was absolutely clean and - what I really cherished - there was no scent from cleaning ingredients or any other odors. It smelled neutral in a nice way ;-)

Staff was friendly but not overly so you felt welcome and serviced but not over-protected.

Air condition can be switched off and modified by hand and the big windows can be opened, which should be a must (but isn't - there are many hotels where this isn't the case).

Overall a very good experience, but since the foyer is not cosy (but stylish) and the same goes for the hotel bar, I only rate it 4 ****, not 5.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sabine, thank you for your lovely feedback, it is great to know that your colleagues’ recommendations were fulfilled and that you enjoyed so many elements of St Martins Lane. Now that you have found us, we look forward to continuing to welcome you back and please let us know whenever you are staying so that we may oversee your reservations.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

As others have remarked, this hotel does not have its name on the building; I’m not sure how that enhances the guest experience.
Entering the foyer, the first impression is of noise: over-loud pop music echoing in a large uncarpeted space. Check-in was bit slower than it should have been, because the (foreign) receptionist has some problems with English.
Getting to the room was a learning experience, as the corridors are very gloomy, and the room numbers are not where you’d expect to find them, but woven into the carpet.
The room was well-equipped, though there was no tea/coffee. Good amenities in the bathroom, with plenty of good-quality towels. Sound-proofing between rooms was not very good.
There is a very small, two-place business centre. Guests have 60 minutes free internet access, which is very good. The homepage of the PCs has a link for checking in for your flight. Click it, and you get a further set of links to an enormous selection of airlines. Pick your one, check-in and print your boarding card. Most hotels provide this kind of thing, but this is the most developed and easiest one I’ve come across. Other hotels should take heed and copy.
There is no guest lounge or similar space where you could sit and read or have a chat. There is some seating in the foyer but, as mentioned above, it’s very noisy.
Other reviewers have commented on the trendy design of the hotel, and it is this that I would stop me going back. There is an internal door between the room and the door to the corridor; an excellent idea, you might think, as it cuts down on noise. Well, it doesn’t, because it’s just a large slab of wood that swings round but doesn’t actually fit into a doorway. It doesn’t even touch the wall, so there no sound seal at all. There is no door handle.
Another trendy excess is the (only) chair in the room. It is of brushed aluminium, and it’s very cold to sit on. There’s internet access in the room, but you would not be very comfortable on that chair dealing with your emails.
In the bathroom basin, the hot and cold taps are smooth cylinders. Easy enough to turn on, but once you have soapy hands they are quite impossible to turn.
So my overall impression is of a trendiness that, instead of enhancing your experience, simply gets in the way.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesper_Soerensen, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel in such detail and we are sorry that the design didn’t quite tick all the boxes for you. There is an ethos story behind many elements of the hotel and we are always happy to share with our guests, this includes the original intention by Ian Schrager to draw people into the hotels to find out what was behind the front door by not having a name overhead (we do have the address on the front window). We are pleased to advise that we are planning a number of room refreshments later in the year to offer more colour and comfort (including new desks and chairs, tea/coffee facilities) and upgrades to the restaurant and bar. We hope you will consider staying with us again as we would be very pleased to share our stories with you and please let us know when you have made a booking.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

For trendy design lovers who like to see and be seen in the heart of the city. Fashionable and chic, hip hotel in a great location. Near to Soho and frequented by the trendy gay set, if you are a straight good looking guy i may stay clear, especially of the public loo's, yes my darling husband was solicited in the loo's and he was actually quite frightened and would not want to go back again. apart from that horrid experience it's a good place.

Room Tip: get a room with a view of trafalgar square, a bit of noise but it's good and light.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
IsabelleFowkes, Guest Experience Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2016

DawnEngland,

Thank you for your feedback from your stay St Martins Lane.

I am excited to let you know that since your stay with us we have had a stunning renovation and we now have a brand new bar, Blind Spot with bespoke cocktails and a hidden entrance. Asia de Cuba our iconic restaurant has had a make-over including a mouth-watering new menu and we also have a brand new cosy lounge area just off the lobby where you can enjoy a brand new afternoon tea.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back soon!