“Great trendy hotel in fun location!”

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #77 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Recently stayed in London for 3 nights and I absolutely loved this hotel... The hotel is located in very fun neighborhood.. Close to Covent Garden, Leicester square and soho. Easy to walk to all the main sights and very close to the tube! Staff is extremely helpful and friendly.. Great bar scene at hotel... My only complaint is that the hotel room is very small, but that's europe for you!!!

1  Thank Drea G
Jesper S, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Thank you for the lovely comments, Drea, we’re delighted that you had a chance to stay with us and enjoyed the location, service and bar in particular – we have a great team of mixologists in the Light Bar, creating an amazing choice of traditional and modern cocktails. We hope you’ll be back to stay when you’re next in London, the location really is perfect for shopping, theatre and sightseeing.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,889)

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I was really excited to stay here on a recent business trip, having eaten in the restaurant a number of times. However I was utterly disappointed as its just not worth the money. Having stayed at the cheaper and nearby Covent Garden Hotel recently I had high expectations (which just weren't met).
Firstly on arrival my room was just TINY. I could barely get my suitcase (not to mention smaller case) in the room. I had to fully unpack and stash the case under the desk! A first for me.
In addition there's no gym - which you expect for a hotel of this price and calibre. You have to use the one next door which has really poor opening times on the weekend.
On the up side the breakfast was nice (if overpriced), the staff are great and get a DVD movie as they deliver free popcorn with it.
But really? I won't be going back its just not worth the money.

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage upgrade to a larger room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sydneywinelass

It is disappointing if you were dissatisfied with the complimentary use of the facilities at GymBox on the corner of the hotel, they do have shorter opening hours at the weekends based on demand. We are always happy to show alternative room types if we are aware of any disappointment with the room size, and our website offers full descriptions of all room types. Our rates are also in line with occupancy and June/July are particularly popular months with many events in and around the city, again our website will always have special promotions and packages. We hope that the location, service and enjoyment of Asia De Cuba in the past will bring you back to stay with us and please let us know when you have a future reservation so that we may oversee your return.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I wound up at St Martins Lane as part of package deal for a quick weekend getaway to London. I was very happy with the hotel. The travel agency (affiliated with an airline) screwed up my reservation, so the hotel wasn't expecting me when I arrived. The travel agency was unavailable due to a holiday, but once that I could show that in theory I had a reservation the hotel put me in a room right away. After an overnight flight from the US, I greatly appreciated the hotel not exacerbating the agency's mistake. I think they still hadn't straightened things out with the agency a few days later when I left, but they never bugged me about it.

My room was excellent. I beleive I got upgraded or something because I suspect the room I was in (some sort of loft-type room) cost a multiple of what I paid. Once again no hassles from the staff. My rate included a full english breakfast, which was really good. One night I had room service for dinner--this was excellent. I think the food must have come from the highly regarded Asia de Cuba restaurant in the hotel. I had been consuming a lot of steak so I ordered the chicken--probably the best chicken I ever had.

Hotel was very sleek/modern, btw. I believe Phillipe Starck designed it. Cool bar off the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Charles F

Dear Charles, thank you so much for your great comments. We are really pleased that your initial concerns when your reservation was not in place via the travel agent were quickly resolved and you enjoyed the hotel (yes, it was designed by Philippe Starck and Ian Schrager). Our Room Service menu does include Asia De Cuba selections and our kitchen team are particularly delighted that you enjoyed the best chicken. We hope you’ll be back for more of culinary delights on your next visit to London and also have a chance to enjoy one of our delicious cocktails in the Light Bar. Please let us know when you are next staying.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Great hotel, brilliant staff and great food. Lovely rooms.

Located next to Trafalgar Square. It doesn't come any better. Will stay again.

1  Thank Natty615

We’re thrilled to know that it doesn’t come any better than St Martins Lane and thank you for the lovely words. We look forward to seeing you again shortly.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

My second stay. The high levels of service with people clearly empowered, natural, helpful and attentive. Spent 5 nights and built good relationships with the door and reception teams who were happy to connect with guests. The same with the Asia de Cuba team for breakfast and dinner. We had a great time at Asia de Cuba, two memorable dinners in particular with exceptional food and a great wine list. Knowledgeable staff .

The hotel keeps its high standards and after staying at both Sanderson and St Martin's, Morgans Group continues to keep those levels high.

Congratulations and see you again soon

Room Tip: Corner rooms are worth the 50 Pound upgrade
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jmarshmail

We are passionate about our service standards and core values, and we are therefore delighted that this created a very memorable guest experience for you. We can’t wait to welcome you back for a third stay – and more – and do let us know when your next reservation is in place at St Martins Lane.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here for one night in room 419, which was a lovely corner room with a view. Check in was quick enough, although I was rather concerned when the lady printed off the form I had to sign detailing my room etc, it had completely the wrong address and other personal details on against my name! The form had the address and details of somebody from the USA on it. That was however quickly rectified and I soon made my way up to the room.

When I entered the room there were four complimentary macaroons and a handwritten note welcoming me to the hotel, which was a nice touch. Also had a call from reception within a few minutes asking if everything was to my liking.

Bed was comfortable, shower was nice with a decent pressure. No kettle in the room as mentioned by previous reviewers, but this wasn't a problem as one call to reception and a free coffee was soon on its way up. Everything else I could have possibly required was however there, iron, hairdrier etc. There is also a Starbucks directly outside if you do want lots of tea/coffee or a hot choc. Toiletries in the bathroom were seemed very nice (Malin & Goetz).

I was also handed a couple of free cocktail vouchers for the Lightbar which was also a nice touch. Couldn't comment on the food in the restaurant as I didn't eat in there.

Overall I was happy with my stay and would happily return. If I were to nitpick I would say that the floor area to the elevators behind reception looked a bit grubby, but perhaps that isn't a massive surprise as I imagine the area gets a lot of people walking on it every day. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jesper S, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely comments on the hotel and we’re delighted that you enjoyed your evening with us. Please accept our apologies that your name was initially incorrectly linked to another guest, this has been rectified and we have updated relevant guest histories. We’re so pleased that you would return and hope you’ll be back before too long, we recommend trying Asia De Cuba and its new menu on that occasion. Please let us know when you are next staying with us.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed at St Martins first weekend in July and loved it. Rooms are a vision in white; white walls and crisp white bed linens. Lots of natural light and well stocked bathrooms make it a must stay. Great to have the option of purchasing a razor or forgotten ammenities (even a clean T-shirt - in white of course!). Staff are professional and friendly - that our room was ready at noon was a bonus. Bar and restaurant are quite fabulous and worth a visit just to check the design. Only negative which is obviously not St Martin's fault were the unsupervised kids loudly sprinting up and down the corridor past our room early Sunday morning.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

It’s great to know that you loved your St Martins Lane experience and had an opportunity to enjoy not only the room but also Light Bar and Asia De Cuba. It is disappointing if other guests are not more considerate to the comfort and relaxation of fellow residents and we are sorry for any disturbance, if we are aware we will follow up with the relevant guests. We’d love to welcome you back again when you’re next in London and please keep us posted at that time.