I stayed at St. Martins Lane as a treat for the wife, and as we were going to a show 'next door' at the Coliseum. I have eaten at Asia de Cuba several times and always been blown away by the place. For the more 'trendy' the Light Bar is a fantastic place for early or late drinks. However I had never stayed at the hotel before, and having booked, I was a little concerned by so many negative reviews on this site. I even contacted the hotel after booking, just to express my concerns and also check if any refurbishments / alterations were taking place that could have disappointed people. I was astounded by the speed of a reply almost immediately from the Hotel Manager expressing her assurances we would have a pleasant stay, and that hotels are always frustrated when people pass negative comments without informing the hotel and giving them the chance to answer or rectify.
Why did I worry? The experience from the moment I was politely greeted by the door staff and the delightful reception staff was truly outstanding. The hotel room was magnificent, large and light, and not at all noisy as other reviewers had commented. We requested a bath, which we were fortunate to get, and what a bath it was. Superbly comfortable, and huge! Similarly in an enormous bathroom with all the usual ammenities, and touches one would expect in such a hotel. The towels, for those that are interested in such things, were luxurious, and can be ranked up there with the bed-linens, which my wife described as beautiful and 'expensive'.
In our room, we had lovely furnishings, massive bed,
chaise-longues, georgeously trendy table, and an excellent mini bar / television cabinet, totally in keeping with the hotel's minimalistic style. I had already been informed that the room did not have a plasma screen TV, but that the rooms were all undergoing a major upgrade in this vein. The large old-style widescreen was perfectly adequate, if not the latest model. How much time did we spend watching?......about 30 minutes, so not an issue.
As one reviewer commented, the mini-bar is on the 'toppy' side, but has anyone ever experienced a cheap one? It is there for last minute convenience, and if you can't be bothered to nip to one of the all-night stores nearby, and you are spending this sort of amount on a room, is it really an issue? I think not.
Shabby carpets have also been mentioned.....what is wrong with people, the place was spotless and immaculate.
We dined early in Asia de Cuba, where the staff were brilliant and courteous, and had an outstanding meal. I appreciate good food, and am fortunate to have eaten in some of the impressive places....this ranks up there with the best of them.
Similarly we took breakfast in there, and had what could be described as one of the best breakfasts ever. Expensive to some people maybe, but think of where you are staying, and it really is a case of you get what you pay for..... £10 for a greasy plate of egg and bacon at a cafe in Leicester Square, or a continental and massive full English, with unlimited tea / coffee juices and food, all for an extremely reasonable £20 with truly efficient staff. I know which I would always opt for.
In conclusion, a fantastic experience and we can not wait to get back.
Congratulations to Hilary Cross and her staff for maintaining such a tremendously high standard of service in an extremely busy hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the bustling Theatre district in London’s Covent Garden, St Martins Lane is a dramatic and daring evolution on English luxury. This boutique hotel retains all the youthful, unexpected charm of a London hideaway, at the very heart of the art-loving, energetic West End. St Martins Lane is truly a hidden gem – a newly renovated lobby welcomes guests into high-concept design with the sophistication of a modern museum and the joy of a carnival light show. The soaring and theatrical space, a reinterpretation of Philippe Starck’s original lobby, plays with colour, proportion, and movement in a way that energises every guest and inspires active self-expression for the duration of the stay. Guests can begin their journey in the Den, a modern gathering place and decompression zone. Situated just off the lobby, the Den is the perfect place to enjoy Afternoon Tea, play a game of backgammon or sip on a Gin & Tonic. The decor is warm and sophisticated with a tongue-in-cheek British flair – even the art on the walls is irreverent, animating the space with larger-than-life portraits and visual puns. Embrace the journey with a striking new look from London’s finest hairdressers at the neighbouring Jones & Payne salon. Luxurious treatments and innovative vision make this salon a place of new beginnings and creative expression. At night, guests will find a hidden entrance to Blind Spot, an innovative cocktail bar, behind the tea counter’s posh facade. Blind Spot is a golden cocktail sanctuary designed like a modern hunting lodge and inspired by the colours and aromas of exotic tea leaves. Light and colour continue to enhance the guest experience in every corner of St Martins Lane - interactive light displays brighten each room, transforming them into spaces of youthful excitement and changing mosaics of colour. Special garden rooms offer private patios and floor-to-ceiling windows that invite the vibrancy of the city into every room. At the newly renovated Asia de Cuba, concept chef Luis Pous joins restaurateur Jeffrey Chodorow to offer a dynamic Latin-Asian fusion menu in an inspiring space. Guests can explore all the unpredictable delights of London and end the day with an invigorating workout at Gymbox Covent Garden, London’s most unorthodox fitness experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your St Martins Lane London Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St Martins Lane London Hotel London
- Hotel St Martins Lane
- St Martins Lane London Hotel England