“St Martins Lane - Outstanding”

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #80 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Guildford, UK.
“St Martins Lane - Outstanding”
Reviewed January 23, 2008

I stayed at St. Martins Lane as a treat for the wife, and as we were going to a show 'next door' at the Coliseum. I have eaten at Asia de Cuba several times and always been blown away by the place. For the more 'trendy' the Light Bar is a fantastic place for early or late drinks. However I had never stayed at the hotel before, and having booked, I was a little concerned by so many negative reviews on this site. I even contacted the hotel after booking, just to express my concerns and also check if any refurbishments / alterations were taking place that could have disappointed people. I was astounded by the speed of a reply almost immediately from the Hotel Manager expressing her assurances we would have a pleasant stay, and that hotels are always frustrated when people pass negative comments without informing the hotel and giving them the chance to answer or rectify.
Why did I worry? The experience from the moment I was politely greeted by the door staff and the delightful reception staff was truly outstanding. The hotel room was magnificent, large and light, and not at all noisy as other reviewers had commented. We requested a bath, which we were fortunate to get, and what a bath it was. Superbly comfortable, and huge! Similarly in an enormous bathroom with all the usual ammenities, and touches one would expect in such a hotel. The towels, for those that are interested in such things, were luxurious, and can be ranked up there with the bed-linens, which my wife described as beautiful and 'expensive'.
In our room, we had lovely furnishings, massive bed,
chaise-longues, georgeously trendy table, and an excellent mini bar / television cabinet, totally in keeping with the hotel's minimalistic style. I had already been informed that the room did not have a plasma screen TV, but that the rooms were all undergoing a major upgrade in this vein. The large old-style widescreen was perfectly adequate, if not the latest model. How much time did we spend watching?......about 30 minutes, so not an issue.
As one reviewer commented, the mini-bar is on the 'toppy' side, but has anyone ever experienced a cheap one? It is there for last minute convenience, and if you can't be bothered to nip to one of the all-night stores nearby, and you are spending this sort of amount on a room, is it really an issue? I think not.
Shabby carpets have also been mentioned.....what is wrong with people, the place was spotless and immaculate.
We dined early in Asia de Cuba, where the staff were brilliant and courteous, and had an outstanding meal. I appreciate good food, and am fortunate to have eaten in some of the impressive places....this ranks up there with the best of them.
Similarly we took breakfast in there, and had what could be described as one of the best breakfasts ever. Expensive to some people maybe, but think of where you are staying, and it really is a case of you get what you pay for..... £10 for a greasy plate of egg and bacon at a cafe in Leicester Square, or a continental and massive full English, with unlimited tea / coffee juices and food, all for an extremely reasonable £20 with truly efficient staff. I know which I would always opt for.
In conclusion, a fantastic experience and we can not wait to get back.
Congratulations to Hilary Cross and her staff for maintaining such a tremendously high standard of service in an extremely busy hotel.

• Liked — The whole package.
  • Disliked — Leaving.
1 Thank Newks
IsabelleFowkes, Guest Experience Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2016
Thank you for your feedback from your stay St Martins Lane.

I am excited to let you know that since your stay with us we have had a stunning renovation and we now have a brand new bar, Blind Spot with bespoke cocktails and a hidden entrance. Asia de Cuba our iconic restaurant has had a make-over including a mouth-watering new menu and we also have a brand new cosy lounge area just off the lobby where you can enjoy a lovely coffee and game of chess.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Abbots Langley
Reviewed January 22, 2008

We were a bit nervous about staying here as there had been some negative reviews. Have to say that the staff on the desk were courteous and efficient and we were delighted with the garden room. Shame it was raining but still lovely to have a bit of outdoors in the centre of london. Room was very white and minimal but still a great experience. Room service breakfast was on time and the staff member discreet and efficient. A great celebration of our silver wedding anniversary!

• Liked — Very white and interesting style and lighting
  • Disliked — No tea making facilities

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 20, 2008

This hotel is pretty awesome from the minute you walk in you know you are in something uber trendy, all sharp angles and colours and slick styling. However on the evidence of my stay I can only recommend this place if you are desperate to place fashion before anything else. If you have more money than sense and are too cool for school this is the place for you.

To me it represents very poor value for money. I have also stayed at the Sanderson which you may know is part of the same group, The Sanderson is way way cooler, their rooms are amazing. Here the rooms are boxes. literally 12 feet across in the bedroom. the bathroom is not too bad a size though. The room is really no better than a box and everything is for sale at a silly price. I'm sure they must have bigger rooms as well, at least you would certainly hope so depends on how much you are prepared to pay I guess

We didnt even contemplate the restaurant, check out the Asia de Cuba restaurant on the website and check out the prices, its unreal.

The Bar is called the light bar I think, clearly a play on words and should be called the dark bar. you have to hold your drinks menu up to the candles to see it. its just too too dark. The staff are gorgeous and very good but the prices are a joke. (We spent £60 plus in the bar having just 3 drinks each) Bank on a minimum of £10 each for anything other than a beer (£5.00) or a glass of wine (which is £7 and up) cocktails start at £13. The music is as loud as a night club, you cant hear anything over it.

You might like to take a torch for the lifts as well, they are as dark as night inside and the buttons arent lit

the staff are all very good looking and extremely nice and welcoming but for some reason the front desk women wear a matronly grey outfit, which I guess must be trendy but it just looks frumpy to me.

As for the location its not quite ideal as although quite central and very near covent garden, its quite a reasonable walk to Soho, which is the best bit of central London for a night out drinks and dinner. Covent garden is hopeless unless you are going to a show. There are few cool bars, just a load of pubs full of tourists and pre and post theatre goers. We had to walk for ages to find a bar we liked the look of and wasnt heaving. We eventually settled on Christophers on Bow St

Covent Garden is a nightmare unless you like falling over the usual throng of french and italian school kids. (did you know the term for a large group of continental school children is a cacophony), japanese and american tourists moving round at snails pace keeping the pickpockets in beer money.

My advice to you is that if you are contemplating a stay in London and want to stay in a morgans group hotel because you are the trendy type, stay at the Sanderson, the location is better, the hotel is cooler and although hideously expensive (coffee and croissant for two is about £27.00) its a better experience. I dont work for th Sanderson by the way. I just think St Martins Lane is very poor value and there are literally dozens of much better hotels in London which wont charge you as much. BUt as I said before if you have wads of cash and value style over substance, this is a place for you.

Our night out in London for two including dinner, (nowhere flash) drinks, taxis and train fare from 50 miles away was nearly £600.

Be warned a night out in London is ruinous

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — The Noise in the bar, the darkness in the bar, the prices
2 Thank sandysviews

Prague
Reviewed January 18, 2008

I stayed at St. Martin's Lane during a business trip and was worried as I'd read the reviews here before I left. I figured that since the company was paying, I wouldn't feel like I was being taken to the cleaners.

No so.

St. Martin's Lane is the perfect example of a hotel that could be outstanding but which misses through several simple faults.

All the staff were more than helpful, especially the doormen. Check-in was speedy. They give you your room key in this ridiculous little zip-lock baggie, along with guest services cards (2) that you need to access the restaurant or bar, which are normally for members only. If you stay here you'll see why this little baggie is so annoying. A normal key ring, or a key ring attached to the baggie in some way would be preferable to fishing out the stupid little key each time.

My room was a fine size with a double bed, a small desk and a spacious bathroom with a great shower head and a toilet that flushed properly (not standard in London). The bed was extremely comfortable. For this, I cannot fault St. Martin's Lane.

What you will find off-putting is that most of the things in the room are for sale, charged to your credit card if you use them. It's not only the mini-bar but there are also special candles, bath products, a laundry bag, etc.--all extortionately over-priced. It was to the point where one would be afraid to dirty the bathrobe (hung in the closet next to the other chargeable goods) lest you find its laundering on your next Visa statement.

Another issue I had is with the pay-for wireless. I've stayed at dozens of hotels across Europe and the US and almost all of them had free internet access. St. Martin's Lane will make you pay 15 pounds per day for the privilege of using their WiFi signal. This is ridiculous. At over $500 a night, WiFi should be free. I'm sorry Mr. Schrager.

There are many luxuries that I find included in cheaper boutique hotels which are overlooked at St. Martin's Lane. At Hotel 373 in New York I was pleased to find a flat screen tv, an iPod dock and fabulous Aveda products. At St. Martin's Lane you'll find none of that. One reviewer here complained about how much he'd been charged for a box of Pringles from the mini-bar. Can you imagine if the mini-bar were stocked with Pringles, soda and other cheap snacks for free (as at some smarter boutique hotels) how people would rave about the service here?

A little more thought into these thoughtless little add-ons and some meaningful upgrades to media access in the rooms would take St. Martin's Lane to a new level.

• Liked — location, bed, shower; the food at Asia de Cuba is also fantastic
  • Disliked — not business friendly, too many added on fees, old electronics
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank prague79

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 13, 2008

Lets be clear art the outset. St. Martin’s Lane is a high concept, modern hotel with urban flair that will not appeal to everyone. If you don’t like modern design, small rooms, or high-concept urban experiences then you will probably not like St. Martin’s Lane. Or at least, you won’t be very forgiving of its particulars. There are plenty of equally expensive major label hotels in London for people who enjoy that kind of experience. If you’re a budget traveller then this place should not be on your list. But if you’re looking for something hip, off-beat, and a little unusual then St. Martin’s Lane is worth a visit.

I have stayed here twice and found the staff to be professional, the rooms comfortable, and had all of my needs well served. There is also a decent gym. Not large but it does have tread mills, elliptical, circuit machines and weights. Its clean and well kept with water and towels for quests.

Of course, another appeal of this property is the location. From St. Martin’s central London location you are in walking distance to Piccadilly Circus, Parliament, The London Eye, and Victoria Embankment on The Thames. If you don’t mind longer walks then Hyde Park and the West End are within reach. You are also close to a terrific and equally designer Indian restaurant called Mint Leaf just off Trafalgar Square on Suffolk street. I know there is an abundance of great Indian cuisine in London but Mint Leaf is special and worth the trip.

• Liked — Location, style, comfort
  • Disliked — Expense, space
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sabos93

London
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Stayed at SML for over a week last month and besides the location and grand lobby, nothing too impressive about the hotel and the rooms.

Rooms are small and lack some basic things you'd expect - tiny, standard TV house in a cabinet, no proper wardrobe, etc

The most annoying thing is that the hotel is quite clearly out to take as much from the 'guests' as it can. From the extortionate prices for basic items in the rooms to breakfast and in room snacks - all of which is pretty uninspiring. A breakfast with some coffee and fruit and a plate of scrambled eggs with smoked salmon came in at a whopping USD 98.

The cheery on the cake was a letter I received a month after staying noting that a small box of Pringles had been consumed and not noted by the housekeeping. The letter was sent to me on the other side of the World and claimed, for my convenience, that USD 10 would be taken from my credit card to settle the bill.

My stay at the hotel came to around USD 4,000 and they chased me for a small box of Pringles! Priceless!

That's probably the most I've evr paid for a packet and that USD 10 is probably the last that St Martins will ever get from me!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Awful customer relations
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank silkerfish35

New York
Reviewed January 2, 2008

I checked into the St Martins Lane hotel from 5-9th December. Having just gotten off a long haul flight from New York, I was eager to have a nap before heading to work in the afternoon. I kindly requested the first available room and was able to check-in within 2 hours of arrival (not too bad considering they were at full occupancy). However, one of the phones and the in-room safe were broken. Given that I was extremely tired, I let this slide and did not report it straight away.

The atmosphere there is very young, hip and trendy. Being in my mid-twenties this is exactly what I was looking for and was pleased with the result. However, I very much had a problem with the attitude of the staff (especially in the Light Bar). Every night I went for a pre-dinner drink with my friend and waited for at least 20 minutes before receiving my drink. Sometimes we would wait for almost 20 minutes before a waitress even approached to take our order. I'm from New York and used to this sort of attitude, but at 14pounds ($28) per drink, I would expect more.

The included breakfast is very sparse and doesn't include anything hot. Another drawback is that everything in the room is for sale (even the cactus is sold separately from its holding pot!). I found this to be quite tacky.

Overall, I would stay here again for the atmosphere, location and swanky factor. However, I would not patronize the Light Bar.

• Liked — atmosphere, location, asia de cuba restaurant, excellent shower!
  • Disliked — staff attitude, over priced drinks, everything in the room is for sale
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business