“Lovely luxury”

The Landmark London
Ranked #50 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed just one night at the Landmark but wish we could afford to stay there more often. From the moment we checked in to when we checked out we couldn't have asked for better service.
Our room was well appointed with a very comfy (enormous!) bed and a huge, palatial bathroom with everything you would expect of somewhere with a 5 star rating. Nice toiletries, huge fluffy towels, bathrobes, slippers etc
What made it really special though was the service and the attitude of the staff. Everyone was friendly and each member of staff we met smiled and greated us. It's an expensive hotel and you feel that everything is going to be very stiff and starchy and it wasn't like that at all. Full marks for excellent staff hospitality training.
To cap it all, it was my birthday and first of all within an hour of checking in I got a 'slate' of hand made chocolates delived to the room with 'happy birthday' written in chocolate on the slate and then flowers and a birthday card from housekeeping. It's touches like this that make a guest feel really special.
The breakfast is expensive but we had this in our room and it all added to the luxury of the occasion.
If you can afford to splash out a bit for a luxury stay when in London, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Landmark

Room Tip: Worth paying just a little bit extra for the deluxe room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,049)

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I live in London so staying at hotels is rare for me but I do visit many for lunch or dinner. I chose the Landmark because it's a great location and also because it's located opposite my office at work. The one thing about this hotel that is different to any other hotel I've stayed at in the world is the distinctive perfume you smell as soon as you walk in. You can even smell it outside sometimes! It's funny I've never mentioned a 'smell' when I've done reviews on hotels but the smell is amazing.

I decided to stay at the Landmark for my muslim wedding, and it was a very stressful time for me organizing everything however we had so much help from all of the staff at landmark. The Winter Garden restaurant held the lunch and the food and service were both amazing. I am actually very fussy and indecisive and like the best of the best wherever I travel and stay (unfortunately for my partner!) and I can say that the Landmark hotel only went above and beyond to make mine and my family's stay flawless from start to finish. I will always be thankful for the work and efforts they put in to make my special day an unforgettable one.

I forgot the name of the suite we stayed in so unfortunately I can't give the name but it was a wonderful suite - more like an apartment. I had a look at a number of suites before I decided and I can say that the value of money you get from the Landmark compared to the Mandarin Oriental is huge. Not only did they upgrade our suite, but when we went to the Mandarin Oriental to compare, the suites at the landmark were DOUBLE the size so in terms of value for money, if you are looking at suites at the Dorchester, or Mandarin Oriental or any other top hotel in London, the amount of space you will get at the Landmark compared to these hotels is a huge difference so it is definitely worth staying in one of their suites.

Thank you to all of the staff, I will definitely stay at the Landmark again, and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a luxury escape in the city where the service is of such a high standard, the food is delicious, great value for money and everything is on your door step!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Unlike every hotel I have used in London, this is the only one where the temperature in the room was perfect. Not freezing cold or roasting hot, just perfect! The room was very large, extremely clean and the bathroom was great too. The bed was really comfortable. No time to visit the spa/ pool but will do so next time. Breakfast was delicious and the staff were very courteous and worked non stop. I had a drink in 222 (?) and the atmosphere was great - very informal and not at all stuffy. I found everything to be top notch and my overall impression was one of staff who actually cared. Faultless!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2012

This hotel shines in the little things. Yes, the rooms have not been refurbished since I started coming here in the late 90's, but then they were furnished with quality fixtures and fittings that their age is really part of the charm and in no way detracts from your experience or the comfort.
The rooms are large and the beds and sofas very comfortable. The bathrooms are large too, and the showers have great water pressure and the baths are very accommodating.
The Winter Garden is a lovely place just to sit in and spend time, or eat in, and the pool and spa are really second to none in London in my experience.
I asked for Marmite with my toast one morning. A few minutes later the wiatress apologised for the delay and assured me that they had not forgotten about my request. When she finally returned, with a new portion of fresh and hot toast, and the Marmite, she let me know the delay was because the kitchen staff had run down to Waitrose (or Tesco - can't remember) to get me the Marmite: this is the sort of place the Landmark is - old school in architecture, style, service and charm. Frankly, for the price, given it's location (with Marylebone station immediately behind) and amenities, the Landmark is close to the best of what you can expect in London.

Room Tip: I always like the rooms that face inwards to the Winter Garden - I like the tinkling of the piano in...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Overall, it's a great London hotel.

But, you should really buy a new toothbrush every day if you want to stay alive.
Here's how they clean: they use the same gloves to clean your (+ everyone else in the hotel) toilets & to hold your toothbrush when replacing its holding cup daily.
While the daily replacement is appreciated. The additional flavor isn't!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed here for a treat while in London to watch the NFL game at wembley. Room was fantastic, apart from missing a mirror on the dressing table. Breakfast was the best ever a bit expensive at £29 each but the eggs benedict and freshley made pancakes made it worth while.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This hotel was really convenient to a church we were attending for a friend's wedding. It is spectacular - for a hotel. The main public areas show its heritage as a great railway hotel of the 19th century. The room we had was spacious and well furnished (but we couldn't get BBC1 on the tv).

The Winter Garden restaurant is the most amazing part of the spectacular public rooms and we ate a great meal created by guest chef, Michelin-starred Mark Poynton of Allimentum in Cambridge. The service matched the food. Saturday morning breakfast, food and service, was great and whilst the food was as good on Sunday the service was poor. We raised this with the restaurant manager and the duty manager (who were talking together near the restaurant as we went back to our room). They acknowledged the problems and convinced us that they took the matter seriously so I would not expect similar difficulties if/when we return. But we would happily stay here again as it was, overall, an excellent stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple