“Sumptuous”

The Landmark London
Ranked #52 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for a special occasion and overall, very pleased with this hotel.

We got upgraded and had champagne/flowers in our room, which was just amazing.

The executive room we had was gorgeous - big sofa, lovely big and comfortable bed, massive flat screen TV and the bathroom was huge. Double sinks, a bath, shower and separate loo. Toiletries were lovely.

We didn't really see much of the rest of the hotel, but from what I did see it looked incredibly elegant. I would agree with other reviews; this does feel like an "old money" hotel with a real focus on classy service. The doorman particularly went out of his way to hail us a taxi, which really made us feel spoilt.

The only disappointment was room service. It was very expensive (to be expected, I guess), small portions, and the shepherd's pie was terrible. As in, inedible. I think we were just unlucky with that order, but it was a bit of a shame as it was part of our "treat" to have dinner in our room.

But other than that, we really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent a weekend here while visiting London. The staff at check in were friendly and efficient and the room was beautifully decorated if a little on the small side. The hotel definitely has a pervasive sense of style and comfort with luxurious fittings and plenty of well trained staff on hand. The bar has a fabulous atmosphere and is great for a cocktail or two.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Manager_222, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel and it was very kind of you to highlight the staff during your stay. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

One of the best city hotels I have ever stayed at.Very spacious rooms,very professional staff and an amazing breakfast buffet.Location is also very good if you are used using the underground in London.

• Stayed: January 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your feedback and we were delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your very kind compliments reagrding breakfast are most welcome. We look forward to welocoming you back in the very near future

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Opulent and classy hotel.

My family and I stayed here for a short trip in London. This is an elegant old world hotel with a lot of class. The rooms are very large, and well fitted with all the amenities you need. The service from the staff was impressive, especially the doormen and concierge, nothing we asked for seemed to be a hassle here. One of the best things about the hotel is it's location.. great position for trekking around London and in a very safe and secure area.

THE PROS: Brilliant Location, literally out the door of London Maryleborne station. Big rooms with large marble bathrooms. Clean and Tidy and impeccable service. Water pressure in the bathroom!

THE CONS: Need to pay extra for WiFi and use of the pool facilities, F&B can also be pricey.

You must consider this hotel if you travel to London, it is that good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Bulletpoint
Hotel_Manager_222, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your feedback with us following your recent stay. It was very kind of you to highlight our concierge and doormen teams and very pleased that our location was to your liking. In order to provide our most competitive rates we exclude wifi and spa entrance charges as this leaves our bedroom rates transparent, thereby allowing our guests to select their preferences througout their stay. In addition we provide complimentary wifi in our business centre for all our guests
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and will be only too pleased to make any future arrangements

Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for 3 days in this hotel during a business trip and here is my experience.
Pro's
1. The hotel has a lot of history and a luxurious interior
2. The rooms are clean and quite spacy comparing to most London hotels
3. The location is perfect, right accross the road from the Tube. Three stations direct and you are at Oxford Street shopping.
4. The staff seemed quite friendly and helpful. I was even proposed a complementary private tour of the hotel when I arrived. Quite unusual for such a big and busy hotel.

Con's
1. For the first time in my life I saw a line for breakfast. They told everyone 'Sorry, we are busy, so it will be 10-15 minutes waiting'. The area to eat is too small for such a big hotel. Once you are seated, it takes forever to wait for a waiter to order coffee.  And they keep forgetting what you have ordered, bringing you something else instead (pancakes instead of eggs, for instance). 'Would you like some fresh pepper on you eggs?' asked me the waiter. I said 'Yes, please!' ...and she disappeared forever:)  Nice and frindly, but just do not cope with the work load well. Allow for 45-60 min for breakfast as a minimum. But the breakfast itself is pretty nice, can't complain.

2.the internet was not working properly. It was frustrating the connection was on and off all the time for the 3 days of my stay, even in the public areas, e.g. breakfast or lobby.

3. The room service food was not good. I have ordered twice and both times could not finish my meals.

Overall it's a nice hotel, so I would rate it as 'Very Good' here, however not Excellent.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank sgurnov

I would like to apologise for the delay you encountered at breakfast; we encountered a much higher uptake from residents for breakfast during your stay and on this occasion we did not have an additional area available that would avoid such queues. Please accept my apologies for this together with your experience of room service; I would be very pleased to hear from you what particularly disappointed you with the room service food, as we would clearly wish to rectify the matter.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and the friendly , helpful team you encountered during the stay. We will be very pleased to welcome you back in order that we can restore your faith in the Landmark and experience the standards which, quite rightly , you expect.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

The Landmark is a storied hotel in the heart of London (Marylebone Street) and within walking distance to Paddington which makes it very convenient. Service is excellent with an abundance staff (literally) waiting to attend on guests. That said, here are some negatives:

They don't have key cards: they are actual metallic keys which are electronically coded. In my case (room 566) they didn't work after I went up to the floor and yet again when the front desk associate came up to give it a try. The key finally worked when security came in. Secondly, the fact that they are metallic makes it inconvenient to carry around during the day in meetings.

WiFI is very spotty and does not work in the bathroom. They also charge 14 pounds per 24 hour period - outrageous!

Room service: Ordered in-room breakfast as I was in a hurry to get to the airport on departure day and found food that there was no salt or pepper along with the omelet. Yoghurt was sent up in a pre-packaged bottle with no fresh fruits. The so-called English breakfast was a ridiculous 29 pounds!

All in all a decent luxury hotel but lacking finesse and class.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us and I do apologise regarding the matters you raised which were unsatisfactory. The cruet set should have been provided on our room service trolley, there is no excuse for that lapse, I do apologise for that inconvenience together with the room key not operating.
I am pleased to inform you that we provide complimentary internet service within our business centre for all our guests and believe it more transparent to charge for internet seperatley rather than including it an increased room rate.
Your kind comments regarding the service and the staff are most welcome and thank you for sharing that with us . We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future

Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was our second visit to this hotel and what a disappointment. The bed was like sleeping on a slab of concrete. The service was awful, I asked for an iron and they bought me a child's version. Can you believe a 5 star hotel does not provide a steam iron or a trouser press in the room! After 4 phone calls and 3 different irons all non steam I demanded a Steam Iron which took 45 mins and a very embarassed porter! We also paid for B&B but on checking out were told that we had to pay extra because my husband had an English Breakfast which was extra, there was no details stating this anywhere but I could not wait to leave so we just paid the extra. Then it took them 30 minutes to find our luggage as they could not find it but kept telling me its on its way. It was thanks to some other VIP guests arriving with bodyguards that they then could not get rid of us quick enough and decided to bring our luggage. We stayed 2 night and paid £700 for B&B, which to be honest was a complete wasste of money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple