“Beautiful, historic hotel but pricey”

The Landmark London
Ranked #53 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed at the Landmark when attending a function at Lords - it's very conveniently located for many London attractions and immediately adjacent to Marylebone so really easy to get to.
Service from check in onwards was slick, professional and friendly. We had a very nice room on the second floor looking over the atrium so quiet for a London hotel, which was appreciated.
The room was huge with a big flatscreen TV, king size bed and nice bathroom, all very well appointed but I found the bed incredibly hard and didn't sleep well. The shower was also fiddly to operate.
The furnishings and ambiance of this hotel are lovely, but everything is expensive. Is it really necessary to charge £16 for a (delicious) G&T and £29 for breakfast?

Room Tip: Quiet rooms overlook the atrium rather than the street
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Executive_Office222, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Thank you very much for selecting The Landmark for your visit to Lord's. I was sorry to hear that you find our drinks pricey. At the hotel we offer a variety of beverage outlets which offer varying competitive prices and I hope we will be able to offer these to you at a future stay. Our breakfast buffet pricing we have found to be competitive within the Lomdon market and your comments are most grateful , as we aim to ensure we are continually offering a first class product that represents good value today.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to share your feedback
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,983)

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Hotel is in a great location and has terrific restaurants including one for high tea.
Staff was lovely.
The Gym however does not open before 6:30am which is ridiculous. For a 5 star, I would expect it to open much earlier. With morning and evening meetings - the gym closes at 10p, it was impossible to get a work out in. This was surprising from a Leading Hotel. I stay in many worldwide and have necver been confined to such hours!
Makes training for a race beyond challenging and these hours should be revisited asap.

• Stayed: January 2012

I was sorry to read that you found our access times to the Spa were not as flexible as you would have liked. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back and that we may assist then with easier and more suitable access for you. Thank you for selecting The Landmark and for your kind comments regarding our food and beverage outlets. We do appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share that with us.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Have just returned from this fantastic hotel. We were invited to a rather large function and managed to grab a room for the night too! The catering for 400 people was amazing, the food was unbelievable! They certainly know how to look after their guests! The room we had was awsome. One of the most comfortable beds that I have ever slept in! Very spacious bathroom with lovely toiletries. We overlooked the very grand atrium. Breakfast was again fantastic, The best eggs benedict I have ever had. I didnt want to leave! Thanks so much for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to share your feedback. We were delighted that you enjoyed the event attended in our Ballroom. It is very pleasing to read these comments and we are equally delighted that our teams created memorable moments during your stay. I have passed on your kind comments to our kitchen regarding breakfast , together with our events team and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

Perfect service, location couldn't be better, very helpful staff, easy check in/out, loved every single thing in this building.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Catalony

Thank you very much for selecting the Landmark and we were delighted to read your very kind comments. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed here for one night a excellent hotel ,clean ,friendly caring, loved our stay we will be back xx

• Stayed: February 2012
Executive_Office222, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your very kind comments which we were delighted to read. It was a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel and thank you for selecting The Landmark when in London and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed here last week celebrating friend's 40th birthday.

Couldn't fault room; very spacious and clean. Agree with previous comments re lack of tea/coffee making facilities.

Having severe food allergies, I spoke to hotel before (which is normal practise for me to do so). Unfortunately, my requirements had not been passed on to the appropriate staff even though this was again mentioned to the check-in staff. First day at breakfast, I had to go without. The second day, I had to wait over 60 minutes for some simple food preparation and our third, and final day, I was advised that the staff had also ordered some Gluten free bread in and it would be there by the end of the week! This I found extraordinary in today's world with so many people having dietary requirements.

Food issues were disappointing and, due to this, probably wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

I am very sorry that you experienced such inconvenience in the restaurant during your stay with us. It is of particular concern that we failed to deliver requested items to you, particularly as you had taken the time, trouble and care to communicate these requests to us. As you quite rightly point out gluten free is an increasing dietary requirement which is becoming more common and to which we offer and provide for, at our afternoon tea for example . There is no excuse that items could not have been provided with greater speed and efficiency as we hold the stock items within the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for this disappointing service and I would be very pleased if you could contact me personally in order that this lack of service can be experienced as it should be.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed at the Landmark on the 2nd night of our London Trip with our young son.

We booked a Marylebone Studio as at the time of booking I was told this was the only room that would accommodate a roll away bed for our son.
I also requested foam pillows and a room on a higher floor.

Unfortunately neither of these requests were met, at check-in they even asked if we need a bed for our son?! They then had to call housekeeping to set up a bed while we were in our room.
The room itself was nice. Clean, in good condition.

The only thing is though, the room was booked for 3 people and we paid for all 3 but there were only 2 robes, two cups for the tea and coffee and nowhere near enough toiletries for 3 people. Its as if they had just forgot about the extra person altogether.

We had a bottle of champagne with us and my husband went to the bar to ask for some glasses as there were none what so ever in the room, despite there being a mini bar?

He was told to go back to the room and call room service... despite being stood at the bar!!
So room service was called and then we were charged.... Oh, now I see why.
We ordered room service for our son, spaghetti bolognaise and for £12 it was poor to say the least. The pasta was dry... not al-dente, but really dry!

It was breakfast the next day which was a real disappointment.
My heart sank when we got to the winter garden as I could see a gathering of at least 15 people all waiting for tables. We approached a waiter and she took our room number and told us we would be called when a table becomes available... hardly 5 star.
We had to wait 45 minutes just be seated at a table! our 5 year old was so hungry and we were waiting nearly an hour... just for breakfast. there seemed to be plenty of staff walking around, with no sense of urgency, there was just simply not enough tables and the hotel wasn't even full!
Eventually when we were shown to a table, it had been re-laid, but there was still items left from the previous diners, a small used jam jar and a side plate full of crumbs.
The buffet breakfast was luke warm, there was no brown or tomato sauce so I asked for some and by the time it arrived my breakfast was cold.
The toast came after we had eaten too.
The tea and coffee were nice though.

But for £29 per adult it's really not at all worth it !!

I did mention this on check-out and the staff seemed apologetic and said that there were lots of new members of staff at the moment... not really a good enough reason in my opinion. As a gesture of good will she said she would remove the charges to our room, the phone, mini bar, room service and bar charges.
We hadnt used the phone, the mini bar or ordered anything from the bar! the only charge was our sons bad meal the night before. So actually we only got the spaghetti bolognaise removed!

It doesnt matter how big the rooms are or how nice the lobby area is, if the service isn't up to scratch that it really ruins your trip.

I came away feeling very let down by the Landmark. I doubt very much I will return and I doubt very much if I will recommend this hotel to friends.

Such a shame as it could of been so good with better service all round.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Harmon27

We have clearly let you down and there is no excuse for the shortcomings that you experienced, particularly when you have taken the time and trouble to commincate to us your requirements. Please accept our sincere apologies. I have taken the opportunity to write to you personally directly in order that we can recover this situation for you and hopefully restore your faith in The Landmark.
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback

Hotel manager