“Afternoon Tea: Keep your money in your pocket”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End
Ranked #403 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We paid £35 for afternoon tea through Groupon for 2 people. If we'd paid full price it would have been £70. Thankfully we did not pay full price, what a rip off. You get 6 traditionally cut afternoon tea sized sandwiches and the rest is made up of cakes and scones, far too much sweet stuff. You do get a pot of tea and a glass if sparkling white wine, still a rip off. I've had afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason's where they kept replenishing the sandwhiches until you told them to stop. The 'Level Restaurant' is in the lower ground floor and has zero atmosphere. There are no windows which makes the room feel dingy and enclosed. The staff were polite but that's about it.

• Stayed: May 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (3,226)

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My Mum and I stayed here for one night. The room was extremely clean and the hotel is modern throughout. All our needs were met and there were a few nice treats left in the room as it was my Mum’s birthday (Cake, wine and chocolates). The room was well equipped with an iron, tea and coffee making facilities, dressing gowns and slippers. We were even upgraded to an executive suite. Staff were friendly and very efficient. Breakfast was so fulfilling, we could not ask for more. The hotel is located in an excellent location for London theatres and restaurants, with good access to buses and the tube. There is always a black taxi going by if you want a quick ride to the many tourist hotspots of London! Easy check in and exit, we really don’t have any negatives. Thank you to all the staff at the Double Tree by Hilton, you are doing a great job.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to an executive room, 1st floor room 147 which was perfect.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear LondonHighFlyer,

Thank you very much for such a wonderful review and for taking the time to share it with us on Tripadvisor.

It is great to learn about your good experience with us, and that our central location, Wake Up DoubleTree breakfast and comfortable rooms have all contributed to create a rewarding experience at our hotel. I was especially happy to hear about our team, where their friendly service and special attentions have conveyed the caring and welcoming spirit of DoubleTree.

We do hope to have the pleasure of being your hosts again in a near future.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

A very warm welcome with a cookie. Quiet orginal. Good location close to metro, British Museum and Covent garden. Quite lobby area for drinks and work. Street can be noisy as I experienced lot of police cars during the night.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ton S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton london West End on Tripadvisor.
I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed our friendly welcome with the Doubletree cookie, and that you found the hotel the be conveniently located.
However, I was sorry to hear that you were disturbed by street noise at night.
All our rooms facing the street have double-glazing, although it is difficult to entirely suppress the street noise. It will be a pleasure to ensure that you are offered a quieter room on your next visit at your request.

We do hope to welcome you again on your next visit to London.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed last Saturday, very good check in staff, ensured as it was my birthday that we received small bottle of wine with fruit bowl and a card which was all very welcome, also a cookie each at check in.
Room very small and bathroom even smaller but it had a very comfortable bed with firm mattress which is really the main concern of a room.
Breakfast was excellent, good choices and very fresh food.
Hotel in excellent position for central london with most places within walking distance and plenty of restaurants nearby.
All in all would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Burritoman,

Thank you for you positive review regarding your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London West End.

It is great to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you received a special welcome from our team for your birthday. I was also very happy to learn that you liked our central location, the comfort of our bedrooms and the Wake Up Doubletree breakfast buffet.

However, I regret that you weren't entirely satisfied with the size of your room. The hotel having retained its original structure, our rooms do vary in size. Please contact Amandine, the Hotel Administrator, on a.gilliotte@dtlondonwestend.com for any future bookings and it will be our pleasure to ensure that you are offered a wider room on your next visit.

We do hope to welcome you again the next time that you are in London.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I booked this hotel through hotwire and so got the hotel for a very reasonable price, if I'd paid anything like full price I think I would have been very dissapointed.

Firstly, the positives. The location is pretty good - you can walk into covent garden, Soho and theatre land (what most peple would think of as the West end) in about 15 minutes or its a 5 minute stroll to Holborn or Russel square tube. There is a tesco metro next door, the British Museum is just across the road and there are lots of nice restaurants within walking distance. The reception was efficient and friendly. The room was a bit tired and quite small but the bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom, although hardly luxurious, was a decent size with a full size bath and a decent shower.

Now the problems. I only stayed in the hotel for three nights but I had to go back down to reception to have a new key card on five separate occaisions ! The excuse I was given each time was that sometimes mobile phones wipe the card. I understand that this can be a problem but surely the majority of people have a mobile phone now so this must be happening an awful lot. Also on two of the times it happened, I'd left my phone in the room so perhaps after the first two occaisions it might have been worth checking that there wasnt actually a fault with the lock itself. There is no free wifi - there is an option to upgrade for £25 per night which gives you free wifi and breakfast (actually you can choose two thinks out of a list of 4 the other two options being a hamburger and late checkout). I upgraded but I still resent having to pay a wacking charge for wifi in an already expensive hotel. The wifi was actually petty slow but the breakfast was ok apart from the toughest bacon in the world !
There is an extremely limited choice of free TV channels. I also had to ask three times to have my room serviced - once with a maid who was tidying the rooms - she said she would do it next but then disappeared. I then went down to reception and asked there and they said they would get it sorted straight away. An hour later and I went and found another maid myself.

Given the low price I paid through hotwire, the overall experience was fine but I think these problems really need ironing out if the hotel expects people to be paying top prices.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank chorltongary

Dear Chorltongary,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our beds, and that you found our team members to be friendly and the location of the hotel to be convenient.
However, I was sorry to learn about the issues that you have highlighted. Rest assured that I have immediately shared your comments with our team, and addressed those issues to the relevant departments to promptly investigate and resolve.
We warmly welcome guests feedback that allows us the opportunity to constantly improve, please do not hesitate to contact Amandine, our Hotel Administrator on a.gilliotte@dtlondonwestend.com if you wish to share any further feedback with us.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again and provide you with the level of service that we are renowned for.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

the upgrade to the lounge was too warm.. ! now that's not a bad thing really is it?. lovely hotel. upgraded for free. lovely gesture. lovely staff. thanks made a early valentine treat a lovely lovely treat.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Juel0608,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us.

It is a real pleasure to learn that you had such an enjoyable experience with us, where our friendly team were able to offer you a complimentary room upgrade for your comfort on such a special occasion. I will be sure to share your positive review with the team.

We do to have the pleasure of welcoming you again sometime soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Hilton have the ability with their UK hotels of sucking the life and soul out of the hotel room experience – dull, lifeless, could be anywhere boxes are the norm and and this place was no different.

I had to stay here using HH points, otherwise I’d be paying around £250. In London for that amount you can stay in some great boutique hotels or some specialist chains. DON’T waste your money if coming to London, do your homework and find a better experience.

Oh and this is not West End - This hotel is in Midtown (even big sign from the council outside saying so)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank I_need_a_hols

Dear I_need_a_hols,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London West End.

I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.
The property does have a range of different room types available, which were all entirely refurbished recently for an enhanced comfort experience. It will be our pleasure to allocate a more spacious room on a new occasion. Please feel free to contact the Hotel Administrator, Amandine, on a.gilliotte@dtlondonwestend.com and we will ensure that you every aspect of your stay is looked after.
The hotel being conveniently located near the British Museum, Covent Garden and the TheatreLand, it is situated in the borders of the West End. However, it is true that we are in the heart of Midtown and all local attractions.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with the level of service that we are renowned for.