My company had already booked this hotel for a 3 night business trip before I had checked the reviews on TripAdivsor. So I did not have high hopes for the place given the tone of some of the reviews !
However, having experienced it first hand and returned home unscathed, I thought I should log my experiences to try and indicate that not every stay is a nightmare.
After an initial delay checking in, (no fault on the hotels part) I was directed to my room which was thankfully in the main building. I have to say that the lobby, reception and indeed all the public areas were clean and tidy and generally in a good state of repair.
The room itself was fine. Good size, not exactly the most up-to-date decor, but clean and tidy. Full marks to the house-keeping staff as the room and toilet were spotless on my return each evening.
With regard to the location, OK so its near some council flats... so what ? If you'd looked a little closer you might have noticed how many were clearly privately-owned and well looked after. I took the courtesy bus to the tube station on the morning I checked out, but the rest of the time I walked to the City which only took 15-20 mins.
Next, the staff - who have had some rather harsh treatment in some reviews. I would like to state quite clearly that every single staff member I dealt with was professional, pleasant and polite. Most of the staff may not have had English as their first language but I could not fault the level of service they provided. And, I'm not sure what kind of service one reviwer expected at a breakfast buffet... how hard can it be to walk up and help yourself!!? I thought the breakfast staff did a fine job, and the food itself was perfectly adequate.
However, it wasn't all good.
The worst thing was the mattress. It had seen better times. Or rather it had been the scene of too many better times !! It was clearly worn out. It also had a rather unpleasant aroma which I won't speculate too much about ! At any rate it should have been replaced.
The wardrobe also smelled a bit musty. The hair-dryer in the bathroom didn't work, and neither did the fridge. The wall-paper was also a bit tattered under the window. None of these were crucial to me personally, but its little details like these that can cloud your overall experience.
I also appreciate that I may have been more critical if I'd been paying rather than my company, but on the whole this hotel was perfectly adequate for a business trip, and although I certainly wouldn't rave about it, I would be quite happy to recommend it to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Within walking distance from Old Street and Barbican tube stations the Thistle City Barbican provides easy access to the whole of London and its many attractions. We have convenient transport links for King's Cross & Liverpool Street National Rail as well as St Pancras International station for Eurostar.Ideally located on the edge of the City of London, with the financial district just minutes away, we are also in a prime location for business travellers. Our dedicated conference facilities with 13 flexible meeting rooms will cater for business meetings, corporate special events, private dining and banquets for up to 170 delegates.Inclusive with your hotel booking you can enjoy the Otium Health & Leisure Club to work out, for a refreshing swim or simply relax and de-stress in the Jacuzzi, Sauna and Steam room. Whether you are here for business or leisure our Otium Health & Leisure Club has all you need to make your experience complete.Thistle City Barbican Hotel features 463 bedrooms including Standard, Deluxe and Family rooms as well as Suites. All of our guestrooms, meeting rooms and public areas are equipped with Free BT Openzone Wi-Fi internet access. For guests travelling to the Hotel by car there are 10 car parking spaces available which are allocated on a first come first serve basis. Alternatively there is a NCP carpark within walking distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thistle City Barbican London
- Thistle City Barbican Hotel London
- Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch London, England