Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #576 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Myself and a friend stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights at the start of august. Unfortunately when we arrived we were not greeted with much welcome, instead the woman who checked us in was rude, did not tell us much about the hotel and just ignored us and talked to her colleague for a good few minutes. The room itself was nice however the television did not work as we could not get any channels. During the time we were in London it was a very hot weekend there was no aircon in the room, and the windows would not open very much so we were hot in the room, which led to a bad nights sleep. To fix this we thought we would make a cool drink. But the ice machine on our floor was broken and when we told the staff at reception they did nothing to fix the the machine. The swimming pool was nice however the showers were broken and the steam room wasn't working. The hotel was situated around 15 minute walk away from a tube stop which was very convienient, and the breakfast was probably the best part about the hotel. I would say if you go in winter then it would be an okay hotel to go to as long as you don't get the rude woman who served us at reception.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
There is no excuse for any staff member being rude and your description of your check in
experience is totally unacceptable and for this I do apologise.
I am sorry that you felt the room was to warm , our standard rooms do not have air conditioning but we do have fans on request . Our windows are restricted for health and safety reason .
It was good to read that you enjoyed our breakfast which is the most important meal of the day.
Thank you for your feedback which we take seriously and will act upon
Jane

Write a ReviewReviews (3,238)

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed in the conference centre annex last night and would absolutely not go back. Even for the corporate rate that my firm has with the hotel,I was really unimpressed.
I arrived late after an evening networking event and found I was unable to make the archaic shower function correctly. Deciding it was probably me and I'd try again in the morning, I failed again and it definitely was not "me". It's one of those horrendous old systems that you have to lift the knob up (which I had figured out). the problem is that it is such an old system that the knob doesn't stay up and the water rapidly drops back to the "bath fill" mode.
The rooms are miniscule. The tea & coffee tray offering was poor and there is nowhere to rest your suitcase other than on the chair.
There is no iron, so I am glad I am training today and not meeting with clients.
The single-glazed window did not keep the noise out of the room, nor did the polystyrene-squares ceiling. I could hear the people above me walking around and at both 12 am and 5 am this is not conducive to a decent night's sleep. I don't believe for a minute that they were stamping around, so that's just poor soundproofing.

You would never know when you first walk in though, the receptions is so nice!

I can't comment on the leisure facilities, but the breakfast was average and the coffee was poisonously bitter. It tasted like that vile instant gravy-granule Nescafe.

The bed linen was clean and relatively new with nice new chenille-covered cushions, but tat like that cannot cover up the loose panel next to the toilet, the old and badly-functioning shower nor the sticky substance on the front of the chest of drawers that I hope dry-cleans out of my suit trousers.

If you're going for pleasure and get a double room in the main building, there's a good chance you're fare better than I did. However, I don't know about that and can only comment on the facilities i saw. Overall, poor.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family (husband and 2 teenage children) stayed for 4 nights starting on the 29th July. Well what can I say but fantastic ! We were on the 4th floor and there were 2 lifts available. We had amazing views of the Shard and Gherkin. The family room we had was very spacious and had two seperate areas with 2 tvs. The room was cleaned daily to a perfect standard.
The staff were very warm and helpful. The breakfast staff did a great job and even tho very busy they kept you topped up with tea/ coffee and were always checking all ok. The breakfast itself were plentiful with lots and lots of choice including freshly made omlettes as well as full cooked breakfast, fresh fruit, toast, pastries and cereals.
The hotel also has a pool/sauna/jacuzzi (a big bonus) which we used twice and found to be very clean.
We think this is a great hotel for anyone visting London. We carnt fault anything and reccomended it strongly ! We will definitely be staying again very soon :-)

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Where to start ... clueless desk staff, faulty lift (20 mins from the 4th to the ground floor), noisy air conditioning, trying to palm us off with an inappropriate room (double room crammed with camp beds being described as a 'family room'). They did move us, but left my husband to fight with a faulty sofa bed for ages before acknowledging that it simply didn't function. Expensive! Inadequate facilities in the room. I was expecting Basil Fawlty to appear at any moment!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 1night and was a bit worried after reading all the bad reviews but was very surpised we got our room which was a premuim double on the 5th floor and the room was very nice and had everything we needed the only thing i could fault was the cubboards was a bit dated the bed was lovely and comfortable and had a great nights sleep .
The breakfast in the morning was very good with plenty of choice all in all we enjoyed our stay and would return when we need a hotel in london.

• Stayed: August 2013
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Hunthrey
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us .
Thank you for your very positve feedback which we will share with the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion
Jane and team

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were a bit nervous about this hotel having booked it through a pay before you know where your staying deal. There are many average or poor reviews on here that didn't help. For us it was great we received a warm welcome from the staff and our room was great. Spotlessly clean and the air con was so cold we had to turn it off! Slept like babies as there is little traffic in this area. Breakfast was fab and the lady making omelettes was very chatty while I waited and I appreciated her friendliness. Word of caution the area seems a little bit run down. There is a boarded up building not far away. This made us a little nervous coming back at 11-45 at night but we were fine. It pays to be cautious in any city I'm sure. We will stay again if the price is right. We might do five nights here next year. We didn't have time for the spar but took a look and it seemed very nice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Gary 488
It was great to read that you e njoyed your stay with us .
Thank you for your positve feedback which we will share with the team
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion
Jane and team

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Arrived with wife and 2 children. Asked for connecting rooms which receptionist agreed to. Got to rooms both were smelly and hot and not interconnecting, just next door to each other. No air con, very hot night so left window open. Noisy drunks from hotel bar sitting outside til 4.30am shouting and keeping people awake. No attempt from hotel to deal with this until I complained at 4.30am. Perhaps they make too much money from the bar to worry about this. Complained on departure this morning. Very sorry but not much can be done was the response. RUBBISH. never had this issue at any other hotel before. Other hotels stop serving people that are rowdy and disturb other guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family